PDA

View Full Version : Potential squat opener video

BigTallOx
03-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Last night I worked up at what I think my squat opener may be ( the meet is a week from saturday ). Below is a video of me squatting 525. The camera is pointed up and not directly straight on, it makes it look like I'm higher than I am ( everybody there said I hit depth ) and it makes the bar look tilted a little more than it is.

I've been really working on my hip flexibility lately, I stretch a lot, and it's making a difference. I can go slightly wider than I was and probably more important I feel like I'm starting to be able to use my hips to generate some power.

Anyway, here's the video....

HFTJtp3e4m8

joey54
03-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Looks like a safe opener. Whats the goal for this meet, 620?

Brian Hopper
03-23-2010, 09:15 PM
It looks pretty good. The depth also looked good.

Does the organization your lifting in allow you to grab the collars like that?

BigTallOx
03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Does the organization your lifting in allow you to grab the collars like that?

No, I don't do it at meets, but in training I do because it takes stress off my shoulders. I have a 7 foot wingspan.

BigTallOx
03-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Looks like a safe opener. Whats the goal for this meet, 620?

638 is what I'm hoping for. However I made that as my goal several months ago based on what I thought I'd need to total 1600+. But now it looks like I'm going to deadlift about 50 pounds more than I thought back then, so it takes some pressure of my squat. I still think 638 is doable though, but it's probably going to take a good day and a perfect attempt to get it, so I guess it's a good goal.

Mick Manley
03-24-2010, 10:52 AM
looks like a safe number

Beverly McD.
03-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Looked to me like you nailed it BTO.
Best of luck at your meet!

Illinimeats
03-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Ox,

What type of hip stretches helped you? I too have very tight hip muscles, which are making the squat more difficult than it needs to be.

Illinimeats

BigTallOx
03-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Ox,

What type of hip stretches helped you? I too have very tight hip muscles, which are making the squat more difficult than it needs to be.

Illinimeats

I do some yoga type stretching, warrior pose and triangle pose. At night when I'm just relaxing watching TV, I sit on the floor with my feet together in close and I work my knees down toward the floor. I'll do that for a good 30 minutes a night, sometimes more. This probably sounds weird, but I've got a really heavy duty steel coffee table that's a little wider than my squat stance. I'll sit across it, ie a foot on each side, and stretch my upper body forward and just focus on relaxing my hips, adductors/abductors, glutes,... It's helping, my hips feel great now, which is really cool because it hasn't always been the case, and I feel like I'm starting to be able to use my hips to generate power when I squat, which is a new feeling for me. I'm so glad I finally started to take the time necessary to work on hip flexibility. I think it's a good part of why I feel so damn good lately, everywhere not just my hips. It's like before my hips were so bound up it effected everything. I'm still not flexible by any means, but it's made a huge difference in how I feel.

mastermonster
03-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Wish I could see it! Does anyone who's computer smart know why My computer has stopped letting me view any videos with that little multi-colored box at the top left corner? I can watch anything else. Even my wife can't figure it out and she's pretty good with computers. Seems almost every video on here is like that. HELP! Good luck OX!

joey54
03-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Do you need to update your browser?

mastermonster
03-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Do you need to update your browser?

I'll ask Pam to look into that for me. Thanks Joey!