PDA

View Full Version : Cutting weight tomorrow - using mag citrate?

martin
03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a weigh in on Sat morning at 10am. I compete at 220 but currently around 246.

I have used magnesium citrate in the past but not in the last year and I think I need it as I really struggled without it when cutting this much.

My question - when should I take it? My options are tonight, first thing am tomorrow or wait until after I've been in sauna for the day tomorrow?

I am a little concerned as last time I had it in the pm before weigh in and felt like as soon as I drank/ate after weigh in the effects were still there. That's why I'm considering having it either tonight or first thing and then waiting a few hours before I sauna. The second way I could also drink some water after using it.

Anyone's experience and advice would be great,

Martin

90kg_pwrlftr
03-25-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm no xpert on cutting weight, never used mag citrate - but my advise is with 48hrs from weigh-in you are 26 lbs over! Save your strength and compete in the 242 this time and start your cut earlier next meet. just my thought.

AdamBAG
03-25-2010, 12:17 PM
You lift on Sunday? It's a 24 hour weigh in correct?

If I remember correctly the guys I've known that did this for a Friday weigh-in took the mag citrate on Wednesday night, the night before they really cut off the food intake. Once they are "cleaned out" they start taking off the water weight and weigh in Friday morning for a Saturday meet.

MarcusWild
03-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Are you already water loaded? Did you already cut all sodium from your diet? If not, then you need to start doing that right away. It'll give you a running start when you cut out all water.

Jon Elick
03-25-2010, 12:32 PM
I always took it on an empty stomach 24-36 hours prior to my planned weigh-in time

martin
03-25-2010, 12:33 PM
You lift on Sunday? It's a 24 hour weigh in correct?

If I remember correctly the guys I've known that did this for a Friday weigh-in took the mag citrate on Wednesday night, the night before they really cut off the food intake. Once they are "cleaned out" they start taking off the water weight and weigh in Friday morning for a Saturday meet.

Yeah 24 hr weigh in with lifting Sunday. So that would mean me taking it tonight - which is what I'm leaning towards the more I think about it.

Are you already water loaded? Did you already cut all sodium from your diet? If not, then you need to start doing that right away. It'll give you a running start when you cut out all water.

Yes this is the third day of water loading. Sodium has been minimal since lunchtime today.

M

StLRPh
03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I'd say at least 24 hrs maybe as much as 72 hrs. What Adam said seems pretty reasonable. BTW, that's a huge cut

martin
03-25-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm taking it tonight then :)

I was 246 on the scales before but that's absolutely full of water. I should be 240 or less in the morning after peeing tonight. I'm normally 242-243 day to day. I've cut this much about 5 times now so getting used to it - although everytime I tell myself never again lol.

Cheers guys,

Martin

JSully
03-25-2010, 03:59 PM
make sure you post your results

accuFLEX
03-25-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm competing on Saturday as well (oly lifting) and I thought I had a lot of weight to cut (8lbs) haha

KarstenDD
03-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Cutting weight is dum. GFH

scott rowe
03-26-2010, 11:35 AM
you should have started the water load for like 5 or 6 days not just 3. that is a huge cut. imo.

jmccown
03-26-2010, 12:21 PM
please post results of this cut

Mick Manley
03-26-2010, 12:27 PM
u should have taken half last nite, and half this morning and cut your water and food out completely today

Mick Manley
03-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Cutting weight is dum. GFH

dum?

Mick Manley
03-26-2010, 12:30 PM
if ur 240 when u go to bed tonite, u wont make 220 unless u wake up really early and hot tub it, and even then u still probably wont unless u got a lot of lasix.

i just saw that was yesterday. U need to take about 3-4 immodium after you weigh in. I also like to eat about 5k worth of salt capsules after i weigh in as well.

martin
03-26-2010, 04:06 PM
please post results of this cut

Update- got on scales last night at 249. Decided that I would go ahead with mag cit and take herbal water pills and if I woke less than 240 I'd cut.

Woke up 7am at 238. Sauna today alot and I'm 225 now 10pm with 12hrs to weigh in. Feeling pretty rough but only as normal.

Can't wait till I can drink lol

Martin

Mick Manley
03-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Update- got on scales last night at 249. Decided that I would go ahead with mag cit and take herbal water pills and if I woke less than 240 I'd cut.

Woke up 7am at 238. Sauna today alot and I'm 225 now 10pm with 12hrs to weigh in. Feeling pretty rough but only as normal.

Can't wait till I can drink lol

Martin

is that on the meet scale? I always check the meet scale if you can. If your 225 on the meet scale id sauna or hot tub till about 222 n call it good.

Brian C
03-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Those are pretty amazing results bro, great job. Best of luck in the meet and post up your results and how you felt with such a big cut.

martin
03-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Cheers guys an big thanks Mick for your advice.

I weighed 223.3 at 6 am this morning but that's on my scale and it's usualy a pound or so over most meet scales I've been on. I drove down to the weigh in in sauna suit with as much heat on in car as I could stomach without feeling like dying lol which wasn't much.

Weighed in at 10.30 am at 99.6 kg on meet scale - so 219.5 lbs.

Been getting fluids back in and just started on solid meals, I'm back to around 235 ish.

I will post up my results after lifting - I'm not expecting alot due to a muscle tear in my back a few weeks back so I'm not sure if I can deadlift at all butwill hopefully go for a squat and bench PR if nothing else.

Martin

martin
03-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Just to update anyone who's interested -

Had a good day yesterday. Didn't have much sleep the night before as we had an early start to get there on time and the time zone adjustment so we lost an hour too.

Squatting felt easy and strong, opened at 827 and then 881 on my second. Both were ok and was going to go for 903 on third but got talked into going for British record of 928 but failed it.

Bench was a nightmare - had the worst cramping in my lats and lower back and couldn't put feet down on the floor. 30 mins of hip/glute stretching and some more fluids helped and got two new bench PR's of 540 and 562. Both were hard and painful but managed it.

I wasn;t sure about the pull due to a back injury a few weeks ago, opened at 585 as it felt ok when warming up with it and went to 705 on my second. It went up fast but I passed a third as I had not alot to gain and didn't want any injuries.

So I totaled 2150. Thats a 70 ish PR total and know I have another 20-30 lbs in the pull and should have 10-15 on squat.

It's comoing together finally. Thanks again for those who helped me with all the advice above and also thanks to those who have given me advice on technique and training.

Martin

AdamBAG
03-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Sick total brother! Wauy to go!

StLRPh
03-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Congrats on the meet results (and surviving that cut)!

JSully
03-29-2010, 10:21 AM
SICK cut bro.. that was awesome.. great results also, heal up and 2200 total next time!!

martin
03-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Cheers guys!

My lifts -

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wi4sSeY-xgo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wi4sSeY-xgo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

chris mason
03-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Martin, first, good lifting and good meet.

Why do you feel compelled to drop that weight when you are not going to break any all-time records or the like? In other words, what you experienced with cramping etc. is very hard to avoid and really just a matter of luck when you manipulate your fluids like you have to in order to cut that much weight. You would feel and lift better if you just competed in the higher weight class. In the end, the best lifts in the 42s are not much different than the 20s.

Mick Manley
03-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Why do you feel compelled to drop that weight when you are not going to break any all-time records or the like? In other words, what you experienced with cramping etc. is very hard to avoid and really just a matter of luck when you manipulate your fluids like you have to in order to cut that much weight. You would feel and lift better if you just competed in the higher weight class. In the end, the best lifts in the 42s are not much different than the 20s.

he had a shot at the british record, and some people just like to cut, i kno i dont feel like its a real meet unless i cut. I dont have a shot at any alltime recrods, but i will have a shot at some top 10 all time soon, so i will be cutting.

MarcusWild
03-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Great lifting. You definitely had more on the deadlift.

rinse
03-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Great lifting and cut. I saw you lift at the WPC worlds last year and I'm glad you got your 881 squat this time that you were robbed of in Nov. When's your next meet? Are you coming to the European Championships in June?

joey54
03-29-2010, 05:49 PM
That was a hell of a squat.

Hazerboy
03-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Killer lifts man

I'm lovin the british accents as well -

"This is yours, LETS SEE IT!"

martin
03-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Marcus - it was an easy pull for me TBH. I know I'm good for more but wasn't risking injury following a lower back strain I had deadlifting in training around 5 weeks ago. I'll save it for the nationals.

Cheers, let me explain why - for me to lift at 220 in our national finals I must qualify at 220. I can go up but not down in weight class. I want to make this my second year as national champion and therefore need to be at 220 really as in the 242's there are two lifters who unless they have a really bad day I shouldn't be close to beating. The cut takes a little off me I agree, but not enough to stop me putting up new PR's, having a go at records and being currently the best British 220 lifter.

I really don't enjoy the weight cut much at all - but I really do enjoy the chance of winning :)

M

martin
03-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Great lifting and cut. I saw you lift at the WPC worlds last year and I'm glad you got your 881 squat this time that you were robbed of in Nov. When's your next meet? Are you coming to the European Championships in June?

Cheers, the Worlds left me hungry for the platform again as it was a bit o a disapointment.

I'm doing the British push/pull in May then British finals in July. I doubt I'll be at the Euro's due to financial reasons TBH.

Where you from?

JSully
03-30-2010, 09:59 AM
you should take a year off and get up in the 260s and the strength that comes with it.. then cut down to 242 and smoke those other guys..

rinse
03-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Cheers, the Worlds left me hungry for the platform again as it was a bit o a disapointment.

I'm doing the British push/pull in May then British finals in July. I doubt I'll be at the Euro's due to financial reasons TBH.

Where you from?

I can fully understand that. There was some shady judging going on at times.

I'm from Sweden.

Good luck at Nationals. I will be at the Euros and if I can get my act together in the squat post a decent total in the 125kgs.

Brian C
03-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Dude Im so impressed with such a big cut and hitting a 70lb total PR. Way to go bud!

Brian Hopper
04-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Awesome video Martin, Congrats on your PR's!!!!!