PDA

View Full Version : 2 Weeks of progress, good start I guess - but can I ask for advice

conesto412
03-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey all,

I joined the forums about 2 weeks ago and have been reading up everyday. Just wanna say how awesome this website is for providing information and encouragement.

I went for the 5 day creatine loading and have been drinking tons of liquids. I've also been doing the 3-4 protein shakes daily, with non-fat milk and yogurt, and cooking plenty of turkey burgers, eggs, sweet potatoes, yams, ham, and doing the vegetables, fruits, etc. I also managed to slip in an extra big eggmcmuffin and 2 small apple pies.

For suppliments I've been doing Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Magnesium, a men's multivitamin, super omega-3 fish/flax/borage, and garlic.

I'm around 5'5.5" at 138-140 and 13-14% bf.

So I'm doing ok there but where I'm really needing help is my workout routine,

Ive been doing 20-30 minutes of cardio everyday, usually jumping rope 500-1000 times. I'll usually do more on my off days. On my lifting days I've been doing the following routine:

Bench Press
Military Press
Behind The Neck
Bent Over Rows w/ a straight bar
Curls w/ ez curl bar
Flies
Tricep Extension
Shoulder Rolls
Wrist Curls

I've been keeping a log at home to track how much weight and how many reps and sets, I've doing. My goal so far has been to successfully complete 10 reps for 3 sets to moderate challenge. When those 10 sets are no longer challenging, I've been increasing the weight.

I've noticed some progress, but I mean anybody can if the pick up heavy stuff long enough. But I really want to start strong and do it the "right way" rather then place guessing games. What I'm wondering is if it is a good idea to do all of those excercises in one workout? Would it be wiser to break them into specific groups so I can hit them harder? Is there a better proven method to doing this?

Sorry to tell you my life story but
Any advice appreciated!

DavyRen
03-27-2010, 01:55 AM
I think you should maybe look at the starting strength thread if you haven't already. Your routine is quite poor and you don't appear to be either doing the squat or deadlift, these core lifts really do make a difference.

How many days a week do your workout?

conesto412
03-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Yeah I'm definitely going to look at making a new routine. I've been doing 3-4 workouts a week.

JohnS
03-28-2010, 05:08 AM
Sorry, but i can't see any progress in your pictures, maybe it is because of picture quality. Anyway, you should start doing squats and dead lifts. Be sure your muscles have enough time to relax. Good luck.

f=ma
03-28-2010, 09:24 AM
I dont see a difference. however, you have a good base.

imo, do the following:
1. track calories and see what your needs are -- worry less about loading creatine etc
2. eat a bit over maintenance
3. do the madcow 5x5, ss texas method, or 531 lifting program (personally, i like madcow and 531)
4. repeat for 1-2 years

this a marathon, not a sprint

mikesbench
03-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Definitely get a routine that splits bodyparts somewhat rather than do the same exercises 3-4 times / week. Consider mayve 2 upper body days nd 2 lower body days / week. Looking into 5/3/1, starting strength or something similar would be good. What are your main goals? Strength? Appearance? Do you want shear size, wanna be "ripped"? More info would help, but it is obvious that your routine could be improved. Definitely don't contiue to neglect your lower body, squatting and deadlifting will go a long way in adding size / strength / overall muscular development.

joey54
03-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Looks like you have a lean build to work with.

conesto412
03-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks all for your responses, I'm looking into starting strength.

I have an unnatural fear of doing deadlifts and squats because I have a leg length discrepancy with my right leg (not all that uncommon but basically one leg is longer then the other). This causes my hip to sit higher then the other, and causes a slight S shape curve on lower spine. I'm not thinking it's severe as scoliosis but could possible be a pseudo-effect of the leg length discrepancy. This makes any standing exercise difficult to find balance, and I usually get more distracted trying to find the most natural stance then putting the energy into the sets. It could be as simple as getting an gel insert for my one foot.

But yeah, definitely going to need to get over that and start using those exercises to my advantage no matter what.

Honestly, my main goals for the here and now are to maybe put on a little weight and muscle for my sisters wedding that's coming up in month or so. One of my long term goals is to be around 145 and at 5-7% bf within the next six months. I'm not looking to being abnormally brutish or insanely "big" but I'll be honest with you, it would be awesome to put on about 13-15 lbs of good lean muscle this year.

So yeah definitelyb going to look into the SS, madcow 5x5, ss texas method, or 531.