PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your energy up during a session

Brian C
03-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Posted this here because I really wanted the opinions of PLers. Due to shift changes at work, I cant get to the gym until usually at 9pm which is pretty late for me hitting the gym. Since doing so, Ive just been down right exhausted and drag myself around. It just kills my drive sometimes. Wanted to see what some PLers use either as a pre enrgy drink or something you might use throughout your session.

gmen5681
03-27-2010, 09:21 AM
i don't usually work out til those times either, and im by no means a competitive power lifter but i follow a power lifting routine. i usually crush up 1 or 2 caffeine pills and mix it in with water. that way it hits me fast and is out of my system by the time im done so i can go to sleep. works for me, and im really sensitive to caffeine.

jefflance1
03-27-2010, 05:02 PM
If you can tolerate the bitter taste, the quickest delivery route for caffeine is sub-lingual. When I am feeling tired and sleepy at work (I have a desk job which gets boring), I take a caffeine pill, no-doz and such, half it and put it under my tongue. It hit's quick and that's why I half the pill. So, about 15 minutes before you go to work out, put a half a caffeine pill under your tongue and you should be good to go.

gmen5681
03-27-2010, 11:03 PM
does it really get in your system faster from being under your tongue? it seems it would still just be going into your stomach just as much as you would if you crushed and drank it.

Fuzzy
03-27-2010, 11:18 PM
I have been cutting on sub 2000 cals and am a pretty big guy. Needless to say my training sessions are affected.

I found that something as simple as a Berrocca or other bicarb soda based vitality drink helped me immensely. Most people here will be skpetic, but it works.

I also strongly recommend adding carnitine in the morning.and right before training. A very powerful useful supplement that me and 6 other lifters have found has a huge impact on the quality of sleep.

NickAus
03-28-2010, 01:53 AM
I was using no expolode but found MRI black better, at the moment I just have a strong mix of gatorade but in your case maybe the MRI black may be better.

Bananas are good too.

Travis Bell
03-28-2010, 06:11 AM
Like others have said, find the lowest dose of caffeine that you can take that will keep you awake, but still allow you to sleep.

I'd also save it for your heavy days so you don't lose the effect of it.

johnnyo_99
03-28-2010, 07:15 AM
i always lift at 8:30 at night, only time i can train due to schedule. when taking caffeine its all about timing. If i know i'll be tired I will take excedrin (contains 65mg caffeine per pill) 2-3 hours BEFORE i lift. my other option is sugar free energy drink. I usually sip on this an hour before i lift. both methods give me enough energy to get through my workout and still allow me to sleep by 10:30ish. I use excedrin because its readily available and contains a very low, manageble dose of caffeine.

i try not to do this very often, like travis said, try to do this for your heavy days - i.e. twice a week. that way you don't build a tolerance. experiment to see what is best for you.

never tried crushing caffeine and placing under the tongue, it enters the system faster but once caffeine is in your body, however it got there, it will take the same amount of time to wear off

jefflance1
03-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Yeah, it does get into your system faster sub-lingually because rather than having to be absorbed by the stomach it is directly absorbed into the blood stream from the tissue in the mouth. The Army did a study on the quickest delivery for caffeine for combat reasons and this is where I got this information from. As a matter of fact, from the article I read about the Army study, I was led to believe they gave their elite fighting forces (Special Ops) chewing gum with caffeine in it when they are in a combat setting and dealing with limited sleep.

ZSinMN
03-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I always sip on 15-20gs of Xtend (BCAA's) during my lifts, seems to help somewhat.

as of late been doing 25mgs ephdra and 200mgs caffeien pre workout ;)

Travis Bell
03-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I always sip on 15-20gs of Xtend (BCAA's) during my lifts, seems to help somewhat.

as of late been doing 25mgs ephdra and 200mgs caffeien pre workout ;)

Do you take that mix when training at night though?

That would keep me awake all night if I took it at say 7pm lol! I suppose everyone is different though

ZSinMN
03-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Do you take that mix when training at night though?

That would keep me awake all night if I took it at say 7pm lol! I suppose everyone is different though
I wake up about 8am and traing at 6-6:30 pm every night, usually am sleeping at 12:00, so idk lol

ya OP lifts at 9pm, not sure what time you go to bed but I assume its before 12, sorry me not much good here

thewicked
03-28-2010, 05:04 PM
meal timing...number one thing I recommend...make sure you plan your carbs at the right times (individual dependent) before workouts. SUpplements like results from ALN definately help along with b vitamin complexes and the like.

theBarzeen
03-28-2010, 06:02 PM
spike shooters work nice...... if it's a really big workout add a yellowjacket..... or if you don't like ephedrine try Dark Rage or something like that......

Brian C
03-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Really great ideas guys, thanks for the help!