PDA

View Full Version : 100 lbs dumbbell bench press

dsb
03-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Hey guys.
I'm 16 years old, and I've been lifting for around 7 months now.
Today, I trained chest, and, as I reached 11 reps with 90 lbs dumbbells last chest session, I decided it was time to increase the weight to 100 lbs. So today, with my goal set on getting the 100 pounders for at least a few reps, I reached my goal: I repped out 100 lbs in each hand for 6 reps. I myself was surprised, i thought I'd only get around 4 reps.
I just thought I'd congratulate myself on benching the 100 pounders for 6 reps. I realize that 100 lbs dumbbells is not that much, and that many of you are much stronger. But I think it's not too shabby for a 16 year old who's been lifting for barely 7 months, and so I thought I'd just congratulate myself.

waynemeat
03-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Nice work dsb. Keep at it.

dsb
03-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks waynemeat.:)
I'd be really happy if I was able to hit the 120s for at least a few reps before I turn 17.

dsb
04-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Pretty disappointed today. i was going for 8 reps with the 100 lb 'bells, but only got 7.
The 100 lbs dumbbells are the heaviest at my gym. That will probably become a problem pretty soon, when I get strong enough to use heavier dumbbells.:clown:

borracho
04-05-2010, 07:53 AM
bring duct tape and tape on a couple 2.5 or 5 lb plates to make some 105s/110s. Thats what I've done in the past. It works.

Commute
04-05-2010, 08:01 AM
100pd dumbells are nothing to sneeze at... I see alot of "gym rats" where I work out that aren't even close to that. Keep up the good work!

Coke
04-05-2010, 12:25 PM
You're fortunate to start lifting so young!! Whatever you do, don't quit...already on the mark to be elite.

dsb
04-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Thank you very much for your advice and support guys, it's much appreciated.:)
Taping plates on both ends of the dumbbell does seem like a good solution when your weight room has no bigger dumbbells to offer. However, I don't really feel comfortable taping plates to dumbbells at a gym which is not my own and while using weights that are not mine. Guess I'll just have to man up and do it, despite the fact that some people might give me some weird looks hehe.
A question I have is that what do you guys think is the relation between dumbbell bench press and barbell bench press stats? Now, I know that there is no clear formula, and that it varies greatly from individual to individual based on a wide variety of factors, but if an individual were to place equal emphasis on both lifts, what do you think would be the approximate relation? From what I've researhed, it seems that your dumbbell bench "should" be around 80% of our barbell bench, meaning that, in my case, doing 100 lbs dumbbells for 7 reps (which is what I do) would roughly translate to doing 250 lbs for the same amount of reps on barbell. What do you guys think?

dsb
04-07-2010, 02:48 PM
No one cares to share their opinion?

dsb
04-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Got the same weight for 8 reps today.
Getting stronger!:thumbup:

Coke
04-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Just move over to the barbells and raise up, you can always rep out 100's before leaving that place.

Commute
04-09-2010, 08:19 AM
From personal experience, I like the extra stretch that the DB's provide as I bring a tad lower than I can with the bar. As far as strength goes, I use rep with 110's (heaviest the gyms I go to haev to offer) but would then fail completely at 225 for a set. It's all mental for me though, I psych myself out as soon as I get my grip on the bar and I'm completely useless with a spotter.

Just keep doing what your doing and work in other excersises to change it up once in a while.

dsb
04-10-2010, 10:15 AM
I thought you'd be repping a good bit more than 225 lbs on barbell, considering that you're benching 110 lbs dumbbells, Commute. Then again, that's not the way it works, as every one is different. Good job on being able to press the 110s, thats some good strength right there. I hope to get there pretty soon.
I prefer the "feeling" of DB bench over that of BB bench. Obviously, the dumbbells' main advantage is working the stabilizers and giving a better stretch than the barbell, but what I also like with dumbbells is that it is more of a "natural" movement than BB, i.e. you can position your wrists and arms in a manner which feels comfortable and natural for you, as opposed to BB, where ou are restricted to one position. BB bench press always gives me wrist pain. This problem is eliminated with dumbbells, where I can comfortably position my wrists. That is why I tend to avoid BB, especially that my wrists are already pretty messed up.
Usually, when I hit a plateau on flat DB bench, I work with incline DB bench as my main chest exercise for a few weeks, increasing my strength on this exercise every week until I hit a plateau, at which point I move back to flat.

dsb
04-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I just have a little question I'd like to ask, and didn't think it deserves its own thread.
As is, the 100 lbs dumbbells im pressing are fixed weight dumbbells. Now, I have some adjustable dumbbells, and I know that their handle weighs 2 kilograms (4.4 lbs).
However, the handle on fixed weight dumbbells is smaller, and, on the 100 lbs DB I use, the total weight of the plates is 100 lbs.
I know that the bar must weigh something, but does anyone know what exactly? I'd say 1.5 lbs.
It'd be cool if i was actually pressin a bit more than I thought.

ElPietro
04-13-2010, 05:21 PM
If the 100 lbers are too easy on flat bench, then start using the bench on an incline to make it tougher.

dsb
04-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Although my strength with the 100 lbers is going up pretty much every time I train chest, I wouldn't consider them too easy yet, as I can press them for 8 reps. I figure they'll pretty soon become too easy though, and I'll have to move to incline, just like you said ElPietro.

dsb
04-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Extremely bad and disappointing day today:swear:
After pressing the 100 lbers for 8 reps last week, I was aiming to press them for 9 reps today. However, I failed. I didn't get them for 9 reps, or 8 reps. I benched them for 7 reps only, which is one rep LESS than what I had done last week. I felt disappointed and weak.
Oh well, I guess everyone has bad training sessions and bad days. I'm looking forward to my next chest session, next week, when I will return to the gym rested, and I will be aiming to get those 100 lbs dumbbells for 9 reps.

fixationdarknes
04-17-2010, 04:22 AM
Keep in mind if you are raping yourself every week you might want a week here and there to take it easy and allow yourself some recovery time.

dsb
04-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Yeah, you're right. But what happened today still annoys me, and it will annoy me until I press that weight for 9 reps.

Coke
04-17-2010, 08:44 PM
This is all hills and valleys, make no mistake...can't go wrong, just keep it on track man.

dsb
04-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for your support, guys.
In order to not start new threads for every one of my questions, I'll be using this thread whenever I have a question. I hope that does not bother anyone.
What's bothering me now, is the question of whether my shoulders are on par with my chest. Although I can press the 100 lbs for reps on dumbbell bench, it seems to me that my shoulders are not quite as strong as they should be. For example, today I trained shoulders. My main shoulder exercise is currently the seated Arnold dumbbell press. I was only able to get 6 reps with the 70 lbs dumbbells, and I reckon I'd be able to get around 8-9 reps with 70 lb DBs on regular dumbbell shoulder press. Do you think my shoulder strength is up to par with my hest strength?

fixationdarknes
04-19-2010, 12:44 PM
That seems perfectly reasonable to me. Last time I benched (barbell) I used 135 for sets of 5, and I use 30-lb. dumbbells for standing shoulder press for sets of 8.

dsb
04-19-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm glad you think it sounds reasonable.:)Good luck with your lifting, man. Sometimes I think I'm a bit too harsh on myself... I have to keep in mind that I'm still 16, and that I'm doing pretty good for someone who has only been lifting for 7 months, especially considering my age.....

KoSh
04-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Not to sound like an ass, because I don't mean to...

But are you training legs too?

fixationdarknes
04-19-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm glad you think it sounds reasonable.:)Good luck with your lifting, man. Sometimes I think I'm a bit too harsh on myself... I have to keep in mind that I'm still 16, and that I'm doing pretty good for someone who has only been lifting for 7 months, especially considering my age.....

For sure bro. Remember though that consistency is key. I too was one a young 16-year-old and was in many ways stronger than I am right now. Then I got addicted to World of Warcraft and my life went to ****. Stopped lifting, stopped going to class, stopped having friends. But that won't stop me from getting back to the top :) Just remember if you ever lose motivation, that you don't want to be like me and lose all your progress. You've still got a lot of years ahead of you, make wise use of them! I know you'll do well as long as stick to key principles and stay at it. You already bench way more than me. Like KoSh said though, if you aren't training your legs/rest of your body to a good extent you should do so. Honestly the time my Bench went up the most was when my Deadlift was going up a lot.

And it's not like I'm some wise old guy myself. I'm still only 20, but still, that's 4 more years I could have been training that I missed out on!

dsb
04-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks, fixationdarknes:). And yes, KoSh, I do train my legs as well.
Fixationdarknes, I completely agree with you. Consistency is crucial. That being said, I haven't lifted in the past 5 days (mainly due to school:boring:), but am going to do so today, when I train chest and back this evening.
I'll be aiming for 8 reps with the 100lbers on dumbbell bench. I hope I will be able to hit that goal, and I should, as I am completely fresh and rested due to not having lifted for 1 week (maybe even too rested, lol).
In any case, wish me luck with my goal guys.:)

dsb
04-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Just came back from lifting.... only got 7 reps with 100lbers once again. I think my body has figured out what is going on, and it definitely is time to change things up. That's why my main chest exercise will be the incline dumbbell bench press for the next few weeks (probably around 4 weeks), and I will try to improve on that lift as much as possible. Then, I will go back to flat dumbbell bench press as main chest exercise, and hopefully my strength will have increased considerably by then. Until now, this plan has worked everytime when I have reached a plateau, so I hope it'll work again.

dsb
05-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Just thought I'd keep this thread alive by bringing some news.
I've been real sick for a while now. Thus, I have not been able to lift for 10 days.... yes, I haven't lifted for 10 days, as I've been sick, with a lot of pressure from school on top of that... I feel like complete crap now, really bad feeling. Hope my strength hasn't taken a huge bump, I wouldn't want to lose the achievemnts I've worked hard for...

dsb
05-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Finally back in the game. It feels real good to be lifting again, after my 2 week layoff, which is the longest break I've had since I started lifting 7 months ago.
Needless to say, I was weaker than when I stopped, but I will become as strong as I was 2 weeks ago AND stronger real fast!
Finally back in the game!

fixationdarknes
05-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Hey man that's great news. I'll be waiting to hear from you!

dsb
05-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks fixationdarknes. Hopefully your lifting is going well.
Just a question for you guys: what is the relation between your dumbbell bench press and barbell bench press numbers? I'm not asking for a general relation or formula, because I know it does not exist and varies between individuals.
I'm asking for the relations between YOUR dumbbell and barbell stats.
For example, from what I've read, most people seem to agree that 100 lbs dumbbells equate to approximately 250-260lbs on barbell, meaning that what I rep with dumbbells now (100's) equates to about 250 for the same number of reps on BB. What do you guys think?

dsb
05-11-2010, 01:22 PM
No one wants to give me their opinion?

dsb
05-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Did 100x5 reps on dumbbell bench press tonight, after having done 100x4 5 days ago (which was my first session after my long break)....... will be aiming for 100x6 in 5 days, and will go on like that, till I reach my old level.

fixationdarknes
05-13-2010, 04:18 PM
I can't give you my opinion because I only bench with barbell, sorry. Btw what are your squat/deadlift/overhead press numbers?

Good luck.

dsb
05-14-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm glad someone replied to my thread, lol.
Before I took my 2 week break, I squatted 250x6 reps.
For overhead press, I ususally do either seated DB shoulder press, or seated arnold shoulder press. Last time I trained shoulders, on Tuesday, which was my first time training shoulders after my 2 week break, I Arnold Pressed the 70lbs dumbbells for 5 reps. I think thats pretty good, considering that Arnold press is considerably harder than regular shoulder press, and that I hadn't lifted for 2 weeks. On Saturday, I'll be aiming for 6 reps.
I don't deadlift, to be honest.

fixationdarknes
05-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Nice, nice. Solid squat and press.

Why no deads?!?! Haha that's my favorite lift by far. Anyway, good luck with your shiz.

dsb
05-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks, man. Good luck with your lifts too. As far as favorite lifts, my one is the DB bench lol, probably because its my strongest point and my best lift.
Currently, I'm a bit annoyed though because my lifts are still not quite where they were before I took my 2 week break.... I mean I was benching more and could arnold press the 70lbers for more reps....oh well, I guess that's the price you pay whan you take a long break. Anyway, I've seen some considerable strength increases since I came back from my break.... and I've only had 3 workouts since I came back from my break, so I figure I should be at my old strength level AND better real soon.....
When I can get the 100 lbs dumbbells for 6 or more reps again (currently at 5), I might film myself and upload it here, so that you guys cantell me what I could improve (although I think my form is pretty good, since I use full ROM and touch my chest on every rep with the 'bells).

dsb
05-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Is it normal that, even when I could Flat Dumbbell Press the 100lbs dumbbells for 7 reps, I could not even press them for 1 rep on incline dumbbell press?

dsb
05-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Pressed 100s x 6 reps today.... almost at my old level!

dsb
05-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Not related to bench press.... but I sure as hell am really happy now!
I just hit one of my long time lifting goals: I dumbbell Arnold pressed the 80 lbs dumbbells for reps!
That after 8 months of lifting, and at the age of 16.

dsb
06-19-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm now incline dumbbell pressing as my main chest exercise, and I can now incline press the 105 lbs dumbbells for a few reps.

Nyve
07-06-2010, 04:30 AM
I'm 16 and I weight 205 and I'm 6 foot tall i also dumbell press 100lbs 30 reps is my limit I was wondering if that was normal..... Problem is that I benchpress 90lbs the last time I checked (liked a year ago). Is this normal ?