PDA

View Full Version : knees going in

gmen5681
03-28-2010, 06:56 AM
if my knees are going in at the bottom of a dead lift or squat is the problem in my hamstrings, hips or a combination?

Lones Green
03-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Mostly hips. You can squat with a mini band around your knees and do hip abduction with bands sitting on a bench.

gmen5681
03-28-2010, 05:27 PM
are you saying its because my hips are weak or not flexible?

ehopkins932
03-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Its a weakness. You could have mobility issues but that isnt an indicator.

theBarzeen
03-28-2010, 05:58 PM
stretch, work the adductor ( abductor?) machine, concentrate on keeping them out...... make sure your suit is all the way up, sometimes that can do it too......

video helps too.....

Sean S
03-28-2010, 06:19 PM
I would actually recommend you do work on the abuctor/adductor machine in both directions. When you SQ and push your knees out, you stretch and load the adductors (inner thigh). If they are weak, your knees may cave in an effort to throw the load off the adductors and more onto the quads. Thus, it may be wise to to strengthen both the adductors and abductors.
If you train with someone else, you may also have them give you a verbal cue of "knees out" while you are squatting. Sometimes it's a weakness, but sometimes you just haven't incorporated it into your motor patterns yet and need a reminder.

Xellarz
03-28-2010, 10:57 PM
I agree with what Sean S said. Here's a little more to add to it -

"If your knees are collapsing on squats, you really need to focus on developing your thigh abductors, especially the glute medius and minimus." - Mike Robertson

Try one of those abductor machines for a few weeks and you'll notice your knees will stop coming in.

gmen5681
03-29-2010, 03:40 AM
thanks everyone. i will add them to my routine after squats 3X8 for a few weeks and will see how i develop.