PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm ready to cut

berfles
03-28-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm been meaning to cut for awhile now, but I think it's finally time. I plan on lifting the same way I am right now, which is 5x5s again, but I'm not sure what else I should do.

How should I actually go about losing the weight? Should I drop on of my shakes and go into a deficit and stick to my usual lifting? Should I keep eating the same and just start running (would be enough with my metabolism)? My main concern of course is losing strength. I'll probably aim for 200lbs for now, I don't ever want to dip below that point again.

So since I've never cut in my life, I figured I'd get some ideas since most of you know my situation by now.

ELmx479
03-28-2010, 08:18 PM
I would not run for sure. Just keep lifting hard and add in some complexes for cardio. As for diet, I would just take it slow. Reduce your current daily intake by 500 and see how your body reacts in a few weeks and make adjustments from there. I went from 220 to 200 on 3200 calories a day with very little cardio.

berfles
03-28-2010, 08:21 PM
I would not run for sure. Just keep lifting hard and add in some complexes for cardio. As for diet, I would just take it slow. Reduce your current daily intake by 500 and see how your body reacts in a few weeks and make adjustments from there. I went from 220 to 200 on 3200 calories a day with very little cardio.

What are some other examples that don't involve running then? I was going to buy some wraps and finally use my heavy bag and start doing some boxing, honestly that's probably all I would need. I think eating the same and just doing some form of cardio will drop weight off me in no time, since right now I do nothing other than lifting for activity.

BO421
03-28-2010, 09:17 PM
I think if your going to cut your going to lose some stregnth. What is more inportant how much you can lif?t or how cut you look?

ELmx479
03-28-2010, 09:21 PM
I would vote for jumping rope, really good cardio and can be done almost anywhere. Also, Have you tried barbell complexes? If done correctly they are a brutal form of cardio.

farkkraf
03-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Boxing will sort you out if your willing to put the effort in. I boxed for 3 years myself and became ridiculously cut. Also, you won't lose much, if at all any muscle strength through cardio if you eat enough to cover the extra calories you will be burning.

berfles
03-28-2010, 09:48 PM
I think if your going to cut your going to lose some stregnth. What is more inportant how much you can lif?t or how cut you look?

How much I lift.

I would vote for jumping rope, really good cardio and can be done almost anywhere. Also, Have you tried barbell complexes? If done correctly they are a brutal form of cardio.

I don't know what barbell complexes are, guess I'll search around.

Boxing will sort you out if your willing to put the effort in. I boxed for 3 years myself and became ridiculously cut. Also, you won't lose much, if at all any muscle strength through cardio if you eat enough to cover the extra calories you will be burning.

Ok, so I definitely don't think I'll be cutting back on calories, just adding in some form of cardio/other activity.

Nicky
03-29-2010, 05:24 PM
I just did my first cut and it went well. I am not trying to be pretty, just get my body fat back down to acceptable levels. 25ish pounds in just under 3 months and I had to TRY not to loose any faster. Like you, I am naturally a skinny little guy. Its tough to maintain my size. All I did was cut my cals back a bit at a time, and limit evening carbs. 3 days a week I would walk for 20 minutes with a weighted vest. I kept lifting the same with a little less volume but I have lost some strength. Not a lot though, 10 pounds here, a couple reps there.

Good luck and keep us posted.

vdizenzo
03-29-2010, 08:10 PM
You look pretty hard in your avatar, is that pic up to date?

Cmanuel
03-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Berfles you are one of the thickest guys on the forum, you can't cut!

FWIW, I've carb cycled before a few times using a plan Shelby Starnes wrote me. In January I shed my winter fat stores using his protocol... went from 198 to 182 in about 5-6 weeks. Strength loss was never a factor. I have a pic somewhere in my log.

For cardio I did a lot of intervals on off-training days. I did moderate steady state cardio on most training days.

It was definitely a lifestyle change and was pretty hard for the first week or so, but once you get into a system it works out.

Cmanuel
03-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Here's a pic of what a few weeks of dedicated carb cycling and cardio will do.

And FWIW I compete so minimized strength loss is a must.
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs266.ash1/19378_717728040218_12716097_40793443_6267170_n.jpg

brihead301
03-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Once I started MMA, I got cut as hell....it's because it's all high intensity cardio (as opposed to LSD running). So therefore, I'd say hitting the heavy bag, sprints, and BB complexes would do the same thing for you (because that's very similar to what we do in the MMA class).

You may lose some strength though...so if you wanna maintain your strength, you may want to avoid the extra work, and do what cmanuel suggests and just carb cycle (or do keto even).

ZSinMN
03-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I did a keto diet, its pretty rough and hard to follow but the results are pretty slick.

as far as your training idk, 5x5 was pretty taxing on me with a calorie surplus.

Irish Pilot
03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Dont fear cardio. If you dont enjoy it, there are certainly ways to keep trimming without using it. Personally Ive learned to enjoy the feeling a good cardio session gives me, much like lifting. When the weather is nice, I love a good afternoon jog. Seems to calm life down some and put things in perspective.

The major reason I do cardio is that the other option is to eat less. I would rather eat more and get my heart pumping on a jog, than eat less and brag about how I dont do cardio. YMMV.

For as successful a bulk as you have had, I would start with tightening up the diet and see what happens. Then when that slows, get on the cals and get them a little lower. Once that stops working, and you are eating the least you would really prefer, start adding in some incline walks, jogs, biking, whatever.

The main thing is diet. You will be surprised how much just making some changes in what and when you consume food will do.

You are gonna look solid!

Sean S
03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
I would just try some diet clean-up and adding some very modest cardio (that's not intense enough to hinder recovery). I've lost almost 20 lbs. just adding a little extra walking and occasionally the bike or elliptical (with a HR in the 120-130 range) and just cleaning up a few of the "extra's" in my diet.
I would try the simple, easy steps first and see where that gets you. If you still aren't satisfied after doing that for a while, you could try some of the more advanced approaches with strict carb cycling and such.