PDA

View Full Version : Drinking and Cutting

Biomedhawk
03-29-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm trying to get serious about my diet, but there's some things I refuse to give up. I'm a frat boy not a body builder, and I want to drink god damnit. So, on days that I know I will be drinking, is it better to cut back on calories that day, say only eat 1,000 cals and assuming atleast a 1,000+ calorie consumption of alcohol, or is it better to just do an extra 2 hours of cardio the next day?

tnathletics2b
03-29-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm trying to get serious about my diet, but there's some things I refuse to give up. I'm a frat boy not a body builder, and I want to drink god damnit. So, on days that I know I will be drinking, is it better to cut back on calories that day, say only eat 1,000 cals and assuming atleast a 1,000+ calorie consumption of alcohol, or is it better to just do an extra 2 hours of cardio the next day?

So the two options are:

1) Become malnourished by taking in 1000 calories so you can drink.
2) or drink about 10 beers, then try to run 2 hours the next day.

Both options blow. Is there a "C" option?

Commute
03-29-2010, 11:35 AM
3) I was also in a Fraternity in college, but limited my heavy drinking to Thr night and Saturday night. If you can follow a solid diet the rest of the time (or the best you can while being a poor college student) then you'll be fine. I would also recommend some form of cardio during the week. I played raquetball 3-4 times a week while in college to keep the weight in check.

VikingWarlord
03-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Been a while since we had a bro question.

First, let's start here:

I'm trying to get serious about my diet

and

I want to drink god damnit.

These two statements are necessarily contradictory.

Since alcohol has many negative effects on recovery, hormone regulation, and many other problems, it doesn't really matter what you do if you plan to drink regularly. You're going to suffer ill effects regardless. Second, your estimate of 1000 kCal is probably low, but depends entirely on what you're drinking.

For example, a standard 750ml bottle of an 80 proof liquor will have just over 1600 kCal. I know I can kill at least a bottle and then some if I'm doing some serious drinking. Most beer averages somewhere around 120kCal per 12oz. Sure, you can plan it into your diet but it's ultimately not worth it.

Now, if you're talking more about having a beer every now and again, that's something entirely different and has actually been shown to have health benefits. If you're talking about the stereotypical frat-tard Thursday-Sunday binge, you're better off just forgetting about it altogether.

Getting hammered regularly gets old after a while anyway. It also gets expensive. Do yourself a favor and think about what you want more, to cut and get healthy or to party, then act accordingly.

K.Huget
03-29-2010, 03:56 PM

Limit it to weekends or whatever nights you don't work out the next day. I find that no matter how much I eat the next day I still can't get a good training session in. Like others have said, there are definetely other negative side effects but it's not the end of the world if you don't plan on being a professional bodybuilder.

Cardio will help the next day if you can handle it. Eat a little less on drinking days and be VERY strict on non-drinking days. I drink pretty heavily Friday and Saturday nights and it's not going to help my lifting or my health but it's the way it is and I still make steady progress in the gym.

dawn01
03-31-2010, 09:41 PM
you must give up your night out for you to avoid from drinking. . if you really want ti loss weight you must sacrifice those things that bother your diet, ,

soclydeza
03-31-2010, 10:02 PM
im not trying to promote drinking during a cut, but if its absolutely necessary, go with vodka (one of the lowest calorie hard alcs) in a mixed drink (mixed with something thats also low cal). i used to be a party guy a few years ago and i only drank vodka and cranberries and never had a problem keeping my bf down. when i started drinking beer, thats when the gut started to establish itself.

it depends on if you like being drunk, or if you like being in a situation that involves drinking. if you like being drunk, hard booze will get ya drunk on less cals than beer, just dont let urself get out of control. if you like just participating in parties, keep a bottle of water with you and for every couple of sips you take of beer, take a gulp of water. it'll help fill you up, keep you hydrated and ultimately you will end up drinking less. partying is by no means healthy, but if you must and wanna keep fat down, thats what you should do.

your best bet though is to just limit yourself to 1 day a week, or every two weeks. its a lot better, plus you'll appreciate it more and have more fun

dethbydumbell
03-31-2010, 10:46 PM
The average alcohol such as vodka per oz has 76 cals in it. So if you drink one mixed drink that has a shot and a half plus the mixer, say coke, you can do the math and come to find that is more cals than beer. It all depends on how many you have as well. If you can throw back 5-7 mixed drinks a night it adds up. However, if you are only a one to two drink person it saves on the cals. I prefer beer if Im just having a few cause one light beer contains around 100 cals. So If i want to get hammered, liquor is the way to go on. However, liquor is more dangerous when it comes to safety. It hits you harder and faster than beer. That is why I switched to beer. In my opinion, if you are wanting to get right for a night, have 2-3 shots first and then switch to light beer.

dethbydumbell
03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
On a side note, when you drink alcohol you body uses it as a fuel source instead of beer. So for the several hours you are drinking and several hours you stop, your body is not metabolizing fat as a energy source. There are many conflicting studies in the world of health if you haven't noticed so its hard to say for a fact if "alcohol" actually translates into fat around the waist. I would yes and no. A slight amount does turn into fat, but most is used as an energy source until it runs out. Then, your body switches back to carbs as the main source until that runs out. Fat is next in line. So you can see how drinking alcohol can add inches around the waist. When you drink, you add an extra fuel source to the body. Instead of 3 sources, carbs, fat, proteins respectively, you throw alochol which has 7 cals per oz. So if your trying to los weight watch the alcohol content. However, a few here and there is not going to hurt you. Many people tend to gain weight when they drink partly because of poor food choices when they are drunk as well. So its up to you to make that call, is it worth a drink?
Tyler, BSN, RN.

Y2A
04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Now, if you're talking more about having a beer every now and again, that's something entirely different and has actually been shown to have health benefits. If you're talking about the stereotypical frat-tard Thursday-Sunday binge, you're better off just forgetting about it altogether.

Agree with this. Unless you have great genetics, you won't get away with being serious 3 days a week and effing off the rest. Of course, if you are only going to drink heavily once a week, then sure, you can probably work around that.

soclydeza
04-01-2010, 01:41 PM
The average alcohol such as vodka per oz has 76 cals in it. So if you drink one mixed drink that has a shot and a half plus the mixer, say coke, you can do the math and come to find that is more cals than beer.

true if your mixing it with soda or something, but if you mix it with a light cranberry juice, or even club soda and lemon which has almost no cals in it, you got got the shot of vodka (about 65 cals) or shot and a half (about 100 cals) and you would have something around what beer would be. however, since it has more alc in it, you'll get hammered off of less cups than you would with beer. the only problem is if you're drinking these at a frat party, im sure they'll have a field day about you drinking that kinda stuff.

jackbency
04-02-2010, 05:27 AM
Soda can also give you a caffeine dependence, which leads to things like cravings, and unstable blood sugar. These are lead to impulse buying of foods, sweets, etc. All of this adds up to more money being spent, and less money being saved.

jackbency
04-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Soda also adds to weight gain as it has a lot of sugar and calories. How much do you spend for a gym membership, weight loss program, diet coach. Soda can also give you a caffeine dependence, which leads to things like cravings, and unstable blood sugar.