PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts advice on this guys please

wanagetstrong
03-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Hello there,

Just gonna start the SS novice program and wondering about diet,not so much the content because my diet is fairly clean,I just wondered who would recommend the GOMAD approach i.e. eat everything in site or a more conservative approach.

I am not pretty about gaining some extra pounds if it gets me strong so happy to hear all options

Any tips would be welcome guys

StLRPh
03-30-2010, 02:19 PM
How well do you tolerate dairy? May want to ease into over a week or so and have some Lactaid tabs handy. Good luck.

wanagetstrong
03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
How well do you tolerate dairy? May want to ease into over a week or so and have some Lactaid tabs handy. Good luck.

ok with dairy i just wondered if that approach would be beneficial...or would I just end up aporker lol

StLRPh
03-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Its not completely necessary. It would definitely be reasonable to start out with your normal diet and see how far that takes you. When you start to stall then you need to decide if upping your calories is worth it at that time. Eat when your hungry and enjoy what you eat :)

Sean S
03-30-2010, 03:08 PM
The bottom line is you want to increase your overall caloric intake while on SS to maximize your muscle mass gains and optimize recovery. The GOMAD approach is just a simple way to accomplish this. If you don't want to do it, that's fine but you should find a way to eat about maintenance calorie levels whatever the approach. I've always found whenever I tried to gain size by just increasing my intake by a small amount, it never worked that well. When I've just tried to eat a ton of food, it's always been successful, but you do gain some fat that way. You also gain alot of muscle and strength if you are training right though. I guess it just depends on what your goal is and what you are willing to do to get there.

wanagetstrong
03-30-2010, 03:27 PM
The bottom line is you want to increase your overall caloric intake while on SS to maximize your muscle mass gains and optimize recovery. The GOMAD approach is just a simple way to accomplish this. If you don't want to do it, that's fine but you should find a way to eat about maintenance calorie levels whatever the approach. I've always found whenever I tried to gain size by just increasing my intake by a small amount, it never worked that well. When I've just tried to eat a ton of food, it's always been successful, but you do gain some fat that way. You also gain alot of muscle and strength if you are training right though. I guess it just depends on what your goal is and what you are willing to do to get there.

Hi Sean yes thanks for the info...I used the GOMAD as an example i will probably go with half the GOMAD and max up the calories above maintenance ..i do tend to eat a lot anyway..im not bothered about a bit of fat its strength and size im after....can I ask if you went down the eat anything clean or not route and what was your training frequency on SS WAS IT MON WEDS FRI or A/B

VikingWarlord
03-30-2010, 03:29 PM

How DARE you come in here with a reasonable answer based in reality and not on some bizarre-ass voodoo magic.

StLRPh
03-30-2010, 03:39 PM
:clap:

How DARE you come in here with a reasonable answer based in reality and not on some bizarre-ass voodoo magic.
ditto

And check out your other thread for an answer to the A/B question.

Sean S
03-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Unfortunately, I was beyond the beginner phase long before I ever discovered SS. I wish I had that program when I was starting. I have gained size using other good programs as well, I just think SS is the best for new lifters. I would just do SS exactly as written. If there are two proven methods that have worked with that program, then it doesn't matter that much which one you use.
As far as the diet goes, I always ate relatively "clean" most of the time. If there was some good dessert or something else that sounded good, but wasn't "clean" I would have some. I didn't go out of my way to seek out that stuff though. Keep in mind I was 30+ when I was gaining most of my size, so you may not be able to be as strict when bulking if you are younger and have a higher metabolism. Again, try to keep it mostly healthy, but don't sweat it if you have some "junk" once in a while.

Bosch232
03-30-2010, 09:57 PM

I WANT THE VOODOO MAGIC..!! I WANT THE VOODOO MAGIC..!! :clap:

dawn01
03-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Sorry I'm not on GOMAD or ever was so I don't know what to tell you regarding the side-effects. I do, however, think that first off there are other more tasty and healthier sources of calories than a gallon of milk and secondly, would not recommend eating/drinking anything in such extremist amounts.

dawn01
04-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Sorry I'm not on GOMAD or ever was so I don't know what to tell you regarding the side-effects. I do, however, think that first off there are other more tasty and healthier sources of calories than a gallon of milk and secondly, would not recommend eating/drinking anything in such extremist amounts.