PDA

View Full Version : Lift-off or No lift-off?

robchris
03-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Hey guys,

How many of you get lift-offs on your RAW bench? :scratch:

Aside from max attempts or shirt work I rarely, if ever get a lift-off... Mainly b/c I train a lot by myself and I'm just used to "feeling out" the weight before pressing it.

I know a lot of you bench guys feel it pulls you somewhat out of position, but it's negligible as far as I can tell, based on experience.

The last meet I was at I saw quite a few RAW guys compete w/o a lift-off and they did as good as everyone else...
Thanks for your input!
RC

Butcher
03-30-2010, 07:29 PM
I lift raw for the time being and in training dont have the oppurtunity most of the time to get handoffs. At meets I unrack it myself because I figure it will probably screw me up more than help me. The biggest issue is getting into perfect position under the bar so you dont have to do a lat pullover to get it out and still not hit the rack on the way up.

Sean S
03-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I get a lift-off whenever possible unless I'm warming up and the weight is 2 plates or less. If you train alone and can't get a lift-off, then you do what you have to do. I can't think of any good reason not to get a lift-off if you can. It also depends somewhat on the bench rack height. One of our benches has a set rack height that is is pretty low for me, so I have to do a 1/3 bench to get it out of the rack. Thus, I always get a lift-off when using that bench.

Cyrus Ford
03-30-2010, 08:36 PM
I train alone, and I think lifting off yourself has some advantages. When I got lift offs, it threw my rhythm off since I was used to handling the weight from start to finish on my own. I have had the best results in competition when I lifted off myself. Now that I am lifting in the USAPL, it's more a benefit to get a lift off because they have the "Start" Command. It's a big difference from taking it off yourself and going down to execute the lift without the start command. This threw me off my last meet because my breathing was all messed up. It's something I have to work on in training and I will be ok next time.

douglasoh5
03-30-2010, 08:37 PM
I really dont think taking the weight out by your self is a bad thing unless you have really bad shoulders. I dont take a hand off unless Im in a shirt. Iv taken out 525 for a board press before. you just cant set up to far out

jtteg_x
03-31-2010, 01:12 AM
I always prefer lift offs anywhere in the 80% and up effort. I know for a fact I can hold out 315 (raw max). Lifting off takes some effort from my lift and slightly tweaks my form doing so. Plus, lift offs are legal in comps so I'd take advantage of it ;)

vdizenzo
03-31-2010, 06:32 AM
I love liftoffs. i hate lifting without them. I feel there is no way in heck I would have hit 605 raw if I had to lift it off myself. I am back to benching twice a week and one day is by myself. I had to do it yesterday and it blew ass.

joey54
03-31-2010, 09:52 AM
Don't like them, but will use one when needed. Then again I prefer walking out squats to using a monolift. Take into account I bench a little more than half of what Vincent does and am working on trying to raw squat his raw bench.

AdamBAG
03-31-2010, 10:18 AM
I love the liftoff as well, but I don't have one on one of my bench days usually. For speed work it isn't too bad b/c the weight is easier to get out of the rack.

AdrianLarsen
03-31-2010, 12:37 PM
I agree I think you should have a lift off. When I train my warmups to 315 I will unrack from 355-to my raw max 550 I always have lift offs. I think that without the lift off it is easy to hurt yourself and have your back loose up. I think if you are forced to train by yourself you are not going to have a choice but if you can just get some there to help lift off I think it will help you stay away from injuries.

Travis Bell
03-31-2010, 01:05 PM
I typically use a hand out on my ME days. Always figure, why waste the energy on a lift off. Doesn't make it any more of a bench.

I will usually take hand out s after 405. You can take them out by yourself if you set up right

On DE days I don't take hand outs simply for the convience factor.

Commute
03-31-2010, 01:07 PM
When I was in college I had a lifting partner that would make me laugh while liftin while spelling out words as I did each set. Anyways, I completely psyche myself out when I have someone spotting me and lifting off. I have to make my lifting partners watch from a distance and then only if/when I got in trouble they could take a few steps and assist. If I have a consistent spotter I shut down and can't lift anything. Wierd... I know.

BloodandThunder
03-31-2010, 03:30 PM
One thing I never understood is how some lifters will always defend the walkout of a squat as "part" of the lift....yet fail to ever link the handoff in the bench as "part" of the bench.

NickAus
03-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Yep on max day but not on speed day.

Even raw I prefer a lift off.

KarstenDD
03-31-2010, 05:29 PM
The only weight I take out by myself is the bar.

JK1
03-31-2010, 06:11 PM
I typically use a hand out on my ME days. Always figure, why waste the energy on a lift off. Doesn't make it any more of a bench.

I will usually take hand out s after 405. You can take them out by yourself if you set up right

On DE days I don't take hand outs simply for the convience factor.

thats what I do. Dont' worry about them on DE days and for anything over 405, I ask for a hand out.

Now my wife is my handout person, she's handed up to 700 lbs out to me---she's a powerlifter and she's strong, but 700 is almost twice her max deadlift, so I'm still doing most of the work. In a warped way I think it kills 2 birds with 1 stone. She doesn't do a lot of shrugs anymore.

robchris
03-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys for all the input... Sounds like most of us are on the same page.

I do all DE work w/o a hand-off but once I get above 90% of my raw max I'm lookin' for a spotter.

I dont think you lose tightness in your upper back w/o a lift if you do it correctly...(as Travis stated) I kinda' do 1 or 2 like inverted rows w/ the bar while keeping the shoulder blades tight & retracted then lift-off and press.

SEOINAGE
03-31-2010, 07:20 PM
i tend to take the weight out myself most of hte time unless I am lifting really heavy or have a good spotter. Most of the people where i lift have no clue how to do a proper lift off, and often times they lift the bar way high and it really messes my bench up.