PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Bar question

Lewy23
03-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Ok, my team and I are doing a Raw Meet in April. We do not own a deadlift bar unfortunately. But there will be one at the meet. Is there a huge difference? What should I expect and what should I tell my team to expect?

I have heard it is easier to pull with a DL bar rather than a normal barbell. Just curious. Thanks for the help!

Lewy

Mark!
03-30-2010, 09:06 PM
I didn't even know there was a deadlift bar. ha, awesome. Unless it's like a hex/trap bar or a cambered deadlift bar. Interested in this too now.

MarcusWild
03-30-2010, 11:46 PM
It's narrower which makes it easier to grip. It'll have more flex than a normal bar. You want to pull the slack out of the bar before you break the floor.

Phenom
03-30-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm curious to know what a deadlift bar is too. Maybe it's just like a regular barbell but stiffer. For most people it's easier to pull with a stiffer bar rather than one that has a lot of flex to it.

Phenom
03-30-2010, 11:52 PM
It also might just have to do with the location of the knurling. Some bars have a smooth section, like a gap in the knurling, where your shins would go while deadlifting in order to prevent the rough part of the bar form scraping against your shins.

AdamBAG
03-31-2010, 04:40 AM
It's narrower which makes it easier to grip. It'll have more flex than a normal bar. You want to pull the slack out of the bar before you break the floor.

This.

Smaller circumfrance. More space b/t the collars for the sumo pullers. More flex in the bar. No center knurling.

I personally would train with one if you can. If you are a guy who jerks the bar off the floor the whip in the bar may surprise you.

Sean S
03-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Echoing what Marcus and Adam said, if you can get one to train with I would do that. If not, you have to be ready to pull the slack out of the bar at the meet. I've seen some people who are using to really blasting the bar off the floor get thrown forward by a DL bar because they didn't pull the slack out and the bar whips on the way up.

kzk464s
03-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Everything has pretty much been covered. Its thinner, whippier, with no center knurling. The first time I pulled off one I hit a small PR. You just have to keep in mind you can't 'jerk' the bar off the floor as the whip will hit and basically throw you off.

Unlike what Phenom said, the smooth part probably isn't wide enough to prevent shin scraping. at the last APF meet I went to, there was a new rule I guess that said the lifter had to wear DL socks, shin guard, or have some kind of tape coving the shins for this very reason.

Sidior
03-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Everything has been covered but a bar with whip should actually be easier to pull with as long as you don't jerk off the floor.

Phenom
03-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Everything has pretty much been covered. Its thinner, whippier, with no center knurling. The first time I pulled off one I hit a small PR. You just have to keep in mind you can't 'jerk' the bar off the floor as the whip will hit and basically throw you off.

Unlike what Phenom said, the smooth part probably isn't wide enough to prevent shin scraping. at the last APF meet I went to, there was a new rule I guess that said the lifter had to wear DL socks, shin guard, or have some kind of tape coving the shins for this very reason.

Of course that depends on how wide the OPs stance is.

robchris
03-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Interesting... Wish we had one at my gym.

Do they cost about the same as a regular bar?
RC

MarcusWild
03-31-2010, 08:11 PM
They are ~$400 shipped.

kzk464s
04-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Of course that depends on how wide the OPs stance is.

This is true, and also how close the bar is to the body when OP pulls. Some people drag it up their shins, some don't.

Mick Manley
04-01-2010, 03:19 PM
smaller diameter bar, more whip, deeper knurling. Im thinking about pulling with a regular bar until about 3 weeks until me meet because i think the regular bar will make u stronger when u come back to the dl bar.

Phenom
04-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Why does Rippetoe say a stiffer bar is better for DLs?

SoCoBarbell
04-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Same reason Rippetoe says to lift your ass first and turn your squat into a good morning.

Phenom
04-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Same reason Rippetoe says to lift your ass first and turn your squat into a good morning.

I think you're mistaken.

ehubbard
04-02-2010, 05:21 AM

I have no idea. But I can tell you that no way in hell i want to try and pull over 700 lbs in a meet with a stiff bar.

kzk464s
04-02-2010, 03:33 PM

Because its harder perhaps? He is pretty much against most gear as well (I think) so I'm guessing that is where his stance lies.

I have no idea.

Phenom
04-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Maybe he meant stiff compared to an olympic bar used for cleans and snatches?

kzk464s
04-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Maybe he meant stiff compared to an olympic bar used for cleans and snatches?

Well, deadlift bars are pretty similar in terms of whip/flex (brand differences notwithstanding of course) to oly bars, or are at least closer to them than they are to power bars.

Difference of opinion perhaps?

Lewy23
04-03-2010, 07:20 PM
thanks for all the responses....I def do not jerk the bar...I squeeze the bar up. I am lookin forward to the meet and using a DL bar! My first Raw meet...well see how it goes...been awhile since Ive trained heavy an competed...cant wait!!!!

Our gym may be getting a DL/SQ bar...we may trade a standard barbell for one.

Lewy

MarcusWild
04-03-2010, 09:21 PM
A DL/SQ bar? They are two separate, very different bars. The squat bar is 8 ft long (standard bar is 7 ft), 55 lbs, and thicker than a normal bar. It's designed to have minimal flex.

SoCoBarbell
04-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I think you're mistaken.

REALLY? Watch him ruin this kids squat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

Phenom
04-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Rippetoe advocates driving the ass up, but NOT at the expense of decreasing back angle, which would turn the squat into a good morning. It's in black and white. If that kid was doing that, it wasn't Rip telling him to.