PDA

View Full Version : Fat Fast

Maki Riddington
05-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Does anyone know the total cals that are to be consumed on a fat fast?

Paul Stagg
05-07-2002, 08:36 AM
Fat fast?

Are you talking about a VLC diet?

aikigreg
05-09-2002, 09:04 AM
Maki, if you're doing what I think you're doing then the cals are incredibly low - 1300-1500. Half your cals coming from pro, half coming from fat. I did it for a few weeks and it worked wonders - lost about 10 pounds in three weeks. Just don't expect to do it much longer than 3 weeks and avoid the carb cravings. Try to sue a supplement with tryptophan and 5-htp in it to help with the cravings.

Tryska
05-09-2002, 09:13 AM
a fat fast?

why would you do that?

K-Daddy
05-09-2002, 09:38 AM
Calories are very low on a fat fast. Like someone said, it's usually between like 1200-1500, some even go as low as 1000-1200. A good way to do it is to eat just macadamia nuts, actually, in like 1-cup increments. One cup I think is usually around 250 calories, and since macadamias are one of the lowest nuts in carbohydrates (Brazil nuts being the only ones I can think of that are lower), these smaller doses won't add enough carbs to offset or increase the number of calories that you should be getting from both protein and fat. It won't keep you out of ketosis either.

I've heard of a lot of people being happy with their results. A fat fast can have almost the same effect as a carb splurge on a ketogenic diet because it shocks the metabolism (though in a completely opposite way). When you go back to eating your 2000+ calories as before (assuming you're on a ketogenic diet; that's the only cases I've heard of people using a fat fast), your metabolism is jump-started, but you're still in ketosis so you're just accelerating the already accelerated fat-burning process.

-Justin

Paul Stagg
05-09-2002, 01:03 PM
Don't the drawbacks of a VLC diet apply?

Like muscle loss, fatigue, starvation responses, etc, etc?

Jane
05-09-2002, 02:37 PM
Why 50% protein and 50% fat? Why not more fat to supress hunger and carb cravings?

And how could you even THINK of trying to work out while living like this for three weeks? :confused:

the doc
05-09-2002, 03:38 PM
i think you would lose some weight quick and then crash your metabolism.
When you carb up again you'll probably pass out from the insulin but it would be highly anabolic. Is that enough to counteract the catabolism- probably not.

Maki Riddington
05-13-2002, 06:37 PM
Excellent, I totally forgot about this thread.

I was gonna throw it in for a week and then go back to my normal program.
During this week my cardio would increase as well and my weight lifting would subside.

Thanks for the feedback. I know what to do now.

Wizard
05-14-2002, 08:19 AM
Maki it's not 1200-1300 calories. It's only 1000 calories. The 80% out of the 1000 calories is from fat and the 20% from protein, or at least 75%-25%.
You first have to be on ketosis for this fast to work as you wish to. You alternate 2 days of fat fast with 4 days of the ketogenic diet (20% below maint. ) and 1 day of carb up. This way you can't fcuk your metabolism yet you can lose a big amount of bodyfat.

MonStar
05-14-2002, 08:29 AM
I have tried a fat fast before and lemme tell you first Maki, it takes some SERIOUS discipline. Not really even sure why you would think snacking on pepperoni and everything like that would just kind of blunt your hunger. I dont know. Good luck. Watch out for muscle loss and starvation etc.

MS

Wizard
05-14-2002, 08:31 AM
Take some 5htp if you can't stand it.

Reinier
05-14-2002, 10:11 AM
?????? :confused:

how can you go that low in cals without just seriously losing mass and shutting down your metabolism and getting too tired to work out and losing more muscle?

Wizard
05-14-2002, 12:16 PM
Reinier, it's obvious that you will not attempt to workout when you re doing a fat fast. The only thing that you can do to further enhance the lipolisis is to take a thermogenic. It's only 2 days. There are individuals that tried to extend the period of fasting but they could not stand it. There's not any reason for staying more than2 days in this state.

Maki Riddington
05-14-2002, 05:42 PM
Oh believe you me I will be hopped up on stimulants. The Ec does a great job of blunting my appetite. I can almost go a whole day with out eating.

I'll post my routine once I finalize things.

Nugget
05-14-2002, 05:56 PM
Sorry to be a newbie... I've read a couple articles on this fat fast... and I'm not quite sure excatly how it works... So someone said nuts... would you only eat nuts for the entire day ?? Perhaps and example of what a day on fat fast might look like... I'd like to try it..just need some more info.

Nugget
05-15-2002, 05:55 PM
Ok, well here's the article I'd found on it,

http://t-mag.com/html/body_113fat.html

This guy basically makes it sound like all he took in was flax seed, protein and an egg here and there ? And he did it for two weeks without losing any muscle, is that possible ?? It would seem that you are almost fasting to losing weight. At which point you are going to lose quite a bit or strength and muscle. Oh well just curious as to your thoughts... I think I will try it for a week and see how it goes... maybe up the cals every week until I get to maintence.. A thought...

nugg
05-16-2002, 07:09 PM
you gotta watch the handle........

It is a vlcd --- with calories coming from fat and protein

Nuggett