PDA

View Full Version : What are some fat/protein foods that make you feel "full" ?

fixationdarknes
04-02-2010, 02:45 AM
I am doing my best to limit/avoid carbs other than breakfast and pre/post workout meal. But it just gets so tough during the evening after dinner. I get pretty hungry, and I know it would be in my best interest to go for some healthy fats and protein, but peanut butter and the likes are pretty calorie-dense foods that don't feel all that filling. Makes it kind of hard to cut. Input? Are there fats out there that take up a bit more space in my stomach than peanut butter? XD

malkore
04-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Meat. cottage cheese. Chicken. Whole nuts (for fat).

fixationdarknes
04-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Seems like nuts are extremely calorie-dense though. I'll eat half a cup which is hundreds of calories and afterward feel like I haven't even eaten anything.

The reason I made this thread is that it just seems like breads/carbs are the things that make me feel full, but it's not exactly ideal in my diet to be loading up on carbs every night.

joey54
04-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Eat more vegetables.

fixationdarknes
04-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Ah, you're right. Thanks!

shipdadip
04-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Chili. Meat, beans, veggies, and spices.

Shark
04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
chicken breast works for me. especially if i cook it in a bland fashion and drink it with water. its not glamorous, but it fills me up and is basically just a solid lean protein.

fixationdarknes
04-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Hmm thanks for the tips everyone! :)

Runty
04-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I eat a lot of avocados to get some good fat in me. But I usually eat mine with chips so....

Notorious
04-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Eggs, cottage cheese, and veggies.

Raleighwood
04-11-2010, 06:39 AM
You asked for fat/protein foods that make you feel full, yet complain when they are calorie dense. The reason they make feel full is because they are calorie dense!

You can eat almost anything as long as its not processed or high in carbs/sugar. Carbs cause an insulin response, resulting in energy storage (fat), so as long as you are eating foods that don't spike your insulin, you should be ok eating whatever.

Nuts, meat, natural peanut butter, butter, cheese, low glycemic fruit (not really a protein/fat, but nutrient dense) are all good options. Dropping grains and starches may be a good idea for you, but if you do, it is crucial to eat a lot of vegetables and fruit.

Skalami
04-12-2010, 07:03 AM
if youre trying to not gain weight (and you like to eat food) the whole nuts makes you feel full thing doesnt work for me. Theyre so tiny...i get theyre dense but it does nothing for me.

I just include spinach with damn near anything i eat... im like a cow i just stuff that **** in my mouth with any bite of eggs, meat or almost anything.

DB58
04-12-2010, 08:24 AM
You asked for fat/protein foods that make you feel full, yet complain when they are calorie dense. The reason they make feel full is because they are calorie dense!

What? nowhere even close to the truth...
How calorie dense is a piece of cake?
Now, how full do you feel after eating it?

You wanna feel full without gettin too many calories? Eat some cabbage with water.

natediesel
04-12-2010, 10:07 PM
chicken breast works for me. especially if i cook it in a bland fashion and drink it with water. its not glamorous, but it fills me up and is basically just a solid lean protein.

You put chicken in a blender with water and drink it?

But yea, chicken and PB do it for me.

NickAus
04-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Chicken with cashew nuts, lots of chicken and also broccoli.
That's what I like.

fixationdarknes
04-13-2010, 01:53 AM
You can eat almost anything as long as its not processed or high in carbs/sugar. Carbs cause an insulin response, resulting in energy storage (fat), so as long as you are eating foods that don't spike your insulin, you should be ok eating whatever.

Nuts, meat, natural peanut butter, butter, cheese, low glycemic fruit (not really a protein/fat, but nutrient dense) are all good options. Dropping grains and starches may be a good idea for you, but if you do, it is crucial to eat a lot of vegetables and fruit.

What about at breakfast and post-workout meal? While cutting, is it acceptable to have some grains/starches there to fuel energy or should I eliminate carbs there too?

mike mcgee
04-13-2010, 05:49 AM
I know you asked fat/protein, but add vegetables to your diet. Especially ones that are high in fiber. Fiber will make you feel full and keep you regular (if needed).

Sweet corn
Cole slaw
Broccoli
Green peas
Chick peas
Green leafy vegetables
Kidney beans
Lentils
Spinach
Dried peas
Tomato
Brussels sprouts
Cooked beets
Cooked cabbage
Cooked cauliflower
Cooked carrots
Cooked collard greens
Cooked celery kale
Cooked zucchini
Raw onions
Cooked summer squash
Cooked winter squash
Cooked sweet potato
Sweet pepper
Cooked Swiss chard
Cooked peas
Green beans
Beet greens
Cooked bok choy
Artichokes

Greg_W
04-15-2010, 07:31 PM
The feeling of fullness is mostly attributed to fiber. Vegetables have lots of fiber, which contribute to their satiety effect. Alternatively, you can supplement with a fiber powder - there are many natural ones derived from oat & Psyllium seed husks, as well as other sources of high-fiber grains. You can also try glucomannan, which is great.

Raleighwood
04-17-2010, 02:07 PM
What? nowhere even close to the truth...
How calorie dense is a piece of cake?
Now, how full do you feel after eating it?

You wanna feel full without gettin too many calories? Eat some cabbage with water.

My statement was in reference to low carb foods. Of course cake will make you crave food/sugar again in an hour or two. He also asked about protein/fat foods. Cabbage and water lack pretty much both of those.

What about at breakfast and post-workout meal? While cutting, is it acceptable to have some grains/starches there to fuel energy or should I eliminate carbs there too?

You are right... High carbs post work out is a good thing. However I don't think this thread is about PWO nutrition. I think its about daily eating ideas that will keep hunger down eating protein/fat dense foods.