PDA

View Full Version : Westside Logs for raw/single ply lifters

achilles89
04-02-2010, 07:29 AM
I know there are tonnes of guys who do Westside and I'm thinking of training this way (standard template) myself. I'm interested in the logs of raw/single ply lifters so I have some sort of backup. If anyone can mention a log and the url even if its on another forum, I can keep an eye on it.

I have seen it mentioned that you can do DE/RE cycles. I would love to see this in action. I checked up Wendlers log at EliteFTS but besides laughing (he is funny) I couldn't see this in his logs or he must have done this in the past and I couldn't figure out to search there.

Edit : So I have

1. Travis Journal (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=106960)
2. Johnnyo's Journal (http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119712)

Travis Bell
04-02-2010, 07:56 AM
I train raw 90% of the time.

People really misapply that RE stuff so I'd just stick to the original template

MarcusWild
04-02-2010, 11:34 AM
We try to follow "Westside" as much as we can. Obviously it's a little different, since none of us have ever trained there. It's also a constantly moving target, since they are always trying new ideas, keeping what works, and tossing what doesn't. We're also trying our own ideas. Our raw and single-ply lifters (which is actually most of the gym) only do a few things differently:

1. They still box squat most of the time but they use free squats more often than multi-ply lifters
2. They use less accommodating resistance (using too much makes you too weak at the bottom of the lift)
3. They don't really do much bench work above a 2-bd

I'm honestly not sure about the %'s used for DE work. We pay attention to bar speed and not % of max. They have the same emphasis on hamstrings, lower back, lats, and triceps.

AdamBAG
04-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Marcus beat me to the punch on raw lifting. For bench do everything the same in my opinion. For squat, free squat more often.

For single ply I honestly don't think it is all that different considering how gangster the single ply gear is now. Just walk everything out if you must walk out in a comp.

achilles89
04-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Excellent response guys. I feel like a kid in a candy store. :D

@Travis thanks, I added your journal and will now keep an eye on it.

@MarculsWild do you have the url to your log, its saves me having to search for it.

MarcusWild
04-02-2010, 12:56 PM
http://supertraininggym.com/mbbs22/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=41

There are the logs for everyone at the gym. I mostly train for multi-ply lifting.

johnnyo_99
04-02-2010, 03:48 PM
I make an attempt at westside and lift raw 95% of the time. link to log is below.. any input from other lifters is always welcome..

ehopkins932
04-02-2010, 04:36 PM
I train raw 90% of the time.

Would you mind elaborating in what way people incorrectly use the RE stuff? Also, do you think the speed box squats (with less accommodating resistance) are worth while for a raw lifter?

douglasoh5
04-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Like Travis, Adam and Marcus said the Westside benching is done mostly raw, but these raw lifts are gear toward a shirted bench. So most of these raw lift are an overload type lift.

JK1
04-02-2010, 04:44 PM
http://supertraininggym.com/mbbs22/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=41

There are the logs for everyone at the gym. I mostly train for multi-ply lifting.

My log for the last 8 months or so is up on that website in the "friends" section.

I've trained on what I'd call a "basic" westside split as outlined by Wendler and Tate (Get their beginners training manual, the training manual, and Westsides Book of Methods, they are worth the money) the last 5 years. During that time I've competed both RAW (in bench only) and single ply (full power). I plan on staying in single ply until i get over a 2100 total (should be my next meet). Then I'll think about multiply or I might not. I haven't decided yet.

Like Marcus outlined, there are some differences depending on if you are RAW, single ply, or Multiply, but I realy think those differences are based on the individual lifter, not the equipment used.

Just to give you an idea of where and what i've done since I switched to a Westside template, I've gone from being a 585 lb squatter to an 825 in competition and nearly 900 in the gym--I'll go over 900 at my next meet. My competition bench has gone from 405 in a shirt to a 425 RAW bench my last RAW contest (which was over 3 years ago) to a 635 in shirt and a 700 in the gym bench---I'm benching at least 675, maybe 700 at my next meet. I have to laugh now because I frequently work up to 405 just warming up. I would have never guessed that 5 years ago. My deadlift sucks, I've got some grip issues due to ridiculously short sausage fingers and a nerve impingement in my right forearm, so if at all possible, I'd rather not talk about it..... I have pulled 545 in a meet in the last 2 years and have pulled 585 in the gym RAW.

I box squat probably 90% of the time to a box of some (slightly above parallel, slightly below parallel, or a foam pad).

I seem to get the most out of working the high boards (3 or 4 board) RAW and the low boards (1-2) in a shirt, but honestly, most of my bench work in a shirt is full range. Its not uncommon doing board work for me to work up to my meet opener without boards, then add the boards and work 1, 2, or 3 boards or something along those lines.

Accomodating resistance is used depending on the point of the training cycle i'm in and where I think my weakness is. I still think I get the most out of loading the bar with plates and keeping loading it until it doesn't move anymore. Then maybe try one more time. The key is accurately assessing your weak points, addressing them, and correcting them. You do that and you will get stronger. The bottom line is put more weight on the bar.

As far as DE vs RE work.... I'm a 300+ lb guy, I don't need any more mass. In my mind, speed=power. So I rarely do any RE Work unless I'm really beat up or I'm injured. I do DE work with my bench bar weight about 50-60% of my RAW bench and cycle squat and deadlift percentages based on my goal weight for the meet/my best gym lift in full gear. I'm not a big DE deadlifter, primarily because I really think Id ont' get anything out of them. I'm better off just pulling singles at about 80% on DE days and working on form. I also cycle chains and bands when I'm in meet prep, but not always during the nonmeet prep time.

achilles89
04-03-2010, 11:37 AM
I make an attempt at westside and lift raw 95% of the time. link to log is below.. any input from other lifters is always welcome..

Thanks. I have added yours and will keep an eye on it.

achilles89
04-04-2010, 08:47 AM

I was thinking I would do sets of 6-8 to cover my weak areas e.g. wide-grip benching/comp grip seems to be my weak spot so I would do 3 sets of illegal/wide grip bench to gain strength in this area. This would benefit me more than DE every time. If I do become weak off my chest then I would then do RE work with pauses off my chest. This was my thoughts on tackling my own weaknesses.

I can see Wendler discussing DE/RE cycles here (http://articles.elitefts.com/powerlifting-articles/d-e-bench%E2%80%A6r-i-p/).

muscle_g
04-04-2010, 04:43 PM
My log for the last 8 months or so is up on that website in the "friends" section.

I've trained on what I'd call a "basic" westside split as outlined by Wendler and Tate (Get their beginners training manual, the training manual, and Westsides Book of Methods, they are worth the money) the last 5 years. During that time I've competed both RAW (in bench only) and single ply (full power). I plan on staying in single ply until i get over a 2100 total (should be my next meet). Then I'll think about multiply or I might not. I haven't decided yet.

Like Marcus outlined, there are some differences depending on if you are RAW, single ply, or Multiply, but I realy think those differences are based on the individual lifter, not the equipment used.

Just to give you an idea of where and what i've done since I switched to a Westside template, I've gone from being a 585 lb squatter to an 825 in competition and nearly 900 in the gym--I'll go over 900 at my next meet. My competition bench has gone from 405 in a shirt to a 425 RAW bench my last RAW contest (which was over 3 years ago) to a 635 in shirt and a 700 in the gym bench---I'm benching at least 675, maybe 700 at my next meet. I have to laugh now because I frequently work up to 405 just warming up. I would have never guessed that 5 years ago. My deadlift sucks, I've got some grip issues due to ridiculously short sausage fingers and a nerve impingement in my right forearm, so if at all possible, I'd rather not talk about it..... I have pulled 545 in a meet in the last 2 years and have pulled 585 in the gym RAW.

I box squat probably 90% of the time to a box of some (slightly above parallel, slightly below parallel, or a foam pad).

I seem to get the most out of working the high boards (3 or 4 board) RAW and the low boards (1-2) in a shirt, but honestly, most of my bench work in a shirt is full range. Its not uncommon doing board work for me to work up to my meet opener without boards, then add the boards and work 1, 2, or 3 boards or something along those lines.

Accomodating resistance is used depending on the point of the training cycle i'm in and where I think my weakness is. I still think I get the most out of loading the bar with plates and keeping loading it until it doesn't move anymore. Then maybe try one more time. The key is accurately assessing your weak points, addressing them, and correcting them. You do that and you will get stronger. The bottom line is put more weight on the bar.

As far as DE vs RE work.... I'm a 300+ lb guy, I don't need any more mass. In my mind, speed=power. So I rarely do any RE Work unless I'm really beat up or I'm injured. I do DE work with my bench bar weight about 50-60% of my RAW bench and cycle squat and deadlift percentages based on my goal weight for the meet/my best gym lift in full gear. I'm not a big DE deadlifter, primarily because I really think Id ont' get anything out of them. I'm better off just pulling singles at about 80% on DE days and working on form. I also cycle chains and bands when I'm in meet prep, but not always during the nonmeet prep time.

Not to get off the original topic or highjack this thread, but I have been wondering. Are you Jesse Kellum?

JK1
04-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Not to get off the original topic or highjack this thread, but I have been wondering. Are you Jesse Kellum?

Sorry for the confusion.... no I'm not Jesse Kellum. We share the same initials for our first and last names. Jesse is a little older than I am and a much more accomplished powerlifter.

-Jack

Hazerboy
04-05-2010, 12:08 AM
I second not so much box squatting, at least initially. I liked it for DE work, but I think its way too easy to change your raw form for ME work -- rocking on the box, pausing, etc.

Also I didn't really like good mornings for squat ME work either, even though I've used the as an accessory for a long time. I've found I'm not uncommon in this. I did mostly different types of bar heights (low bar, manta ray, high bar ) for ME squat stuff, a few different rep ranges, some box work.

BloodandThunder
04-05-2010, 01:07 PM
A good thing to remember about Westside stuff, is that it constantly changes, which is something that you'll have to take into account if you ever attempt to model your training after logs. Read all of their stuff and try to understand the underlying principles, which still hold effect. If you're new to westside, try not to change too much, that's like attempting Sheiko for the first time and messing with all the percentages. Just keep working hard and prepare to change the template based on your needs after a good amount of time. The key is to always be ahead of the curve and knowing what works and what doesn't. But in the end, those guys have gotten ridiculously strong doing basic stuff (read the earlier articles on their site) and you can as well.