PDA

View Full Version : Manta Ray v. Suspended Chain squatting

Andrew Cohn
04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
I've found a lot of positives from adding in some stability work for higher reps (5+) while squatting last cycle. I was wondering what everyone thinks has more benefits to increases stability while not taxing the CNS too hard: Manta Ray squatting or squatting with heavy chains completely suspended (not coming in contact with the ground at all)?

The Lexen guys have been posting videos of the chain squatting recently and watching them take these squats without the chains moving at all shows some extreme balance. What are everyone's thoughts?

Sean S
04-02-2010, 11:55 AM
The mantra ray really isn't going to be unstable, it just changes the leverage points so you have to SQ with a different style. If you are specifically trying to train stability, then use the hanging chains.

AdamBAG
04-02-2010, 01:03 PM
As stated above, they seem like totally different exercises to me. Why not incorporate both?

I think the hanging chains would work pretty well, although I've not personally used that method before.

Notorious
04-02-2010, 01:17 PM
The mantra ray really isn't going to be unstable, it just changes the leverage points so you have to SQ with a different style. If you are specifically trying to train stability, then use the hanging chains.

Agreed.