PDA

View Full Version : Beginner with bench shirt. Help please

shocker4221
04-02-2010, 02:09 PM
I just purchased an Inzer Rage bench shirt and have been trying to find the best way to break it in. I am also looking for some good advice on workouts with the shirt and how often. I plan on entering a contest in 3 months and hope i can master the shirt before then. Any help is very appreciated.

Tom

AdamBAG
04-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Make sure you have adequate spotters.

Work up to your raw max and then put the shirt on. Bring your raw max down as far as you can. If it touches cool. If not, no worries. Add 10-20lbs and try to touch and press the weight.

As far as workouts go that's a tough one to answer since we don't know what your normal training looks like. A good start for a beginner in my opinion is to take a few bench workouts as "skill days" and not worry about the weight. Just practice in the shirt.

JK1
04-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I just purchased an Inzer Rage bench shirt and have been trying to find the best way to break it in. I am also looking for some good advice on workouts with the shirt and how often. I plan on entering a contest in 3 months and hope i can master the shirt before then. Any help is very appreciated.

Tom

If you don't have plenty of spotters get into a power rack. Its important in a new shirt becuase blurbs happen. You can feel great, get slightly otu of the groove and the bar dumps to your face or to your stomach. If you dump to your belly, a single spotter from by your head may not be able to catch it. The rack will save you.

shocker4221
04-02-2010, 08:58 PM
My workout schedule consists of 3 days, Mon, Tue, and either Thur or Fri. I always do bench on Mondays along with tri's. Work back and bi's on the second day, and legs and shoulders on the third. I have recently started doing less reps and sets as compared to prior workouts that were more designed for body building. I unfortunately don't have access to a power rack and only have the one spotter for now.

So after working up to my 1 RM and putting on the shirt and attempting the same, should I continue to add weight until I am able to bring the weight down? And once i'm able to get it down, how many sets or reps would be advisable? Thanks for any help, i'm not new to lifting just to power lifting and have noticed many differences already

AdrianLarsen
04-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Being a new guy with a shirt here is my suggestion. A couple things you need to keep in mind is if you cut weight the shirt will not be as tight as now come comp time. So what I would start off doing is a board cycle with 4 boards and just get a feel for the shirt with very little range of motion. Every week reduce a board until you are full range that will give you several sets in the shirt to get used to it before you just touch your chest. Once you get down to a one board you will have a better idea of what weight it will take to touch. Just know you will not perfect the shirt in just a few weeks it will take a long time and you just need to be patient. while doing your board work do sets of 3 reps for 3 sets.

shocker4221
04-02-2010, 09:23 PM
I do need to drop in weight, but not much. I had a 7 month layoff and am back at it again. I have never used boards though I have seen them being used in videos. Looks like they are just 2 x 4's stacked on eachother, or am I wrong? Also should I just use the amount of weight necessary to get the bar down to the boards or go heavier? And should I train without the shirt at all since I only have 3 months before the meet? Sorry for so many questions, i've been trying to read as much as possible because I live in the sticks and there's no gym or pros to talk to.

robchris
04-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Shocker,
A lot goes into shirt benchig bro... I just started a year ago and I'm still learning! Its way beyond the scope of my ability to explain in detail.

If you dont have anyone to train you then go on line and check out as many articles and videos as you can. This forum, WBB & Critical Bench have a lot of valuable info on benching w/ a shirt... As far as 3-months being enough time to learn a shirt, thats entirely up to you. I trained in my first shirt for at least 6-months before my first equipped meet.
You have to master the shirt first and be confident w/ touching hvy. weights before stepping on the platform. Boards dont mean nothing in the shirt world... You need to try to touch each workout session and not worry about bds. at this point... They are mainly for working the lock-out & overload work. Good luck which ever way you choose bro...

RC

vdizenzo
04-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Put the shirt on and start working triples. Skip the boards, it will teach you an unatural groove. Bring the weight down, when it locks up press it. The second rep should come down a little further. Your third rep should come down even more. Be very paient on that third rep in the hole. When weight locks up, be patient and it will come down more. Don't worry about touching the first couple of weeks. Work with weight you are comfortable with. Just keep learning the groove and practicing.

Beware, the first couple of sets in the shirt you will hear popping and cracking. It's just the shirt breaking in.

Take some video and we can give you even more help. Best of luck.

AdrianLarsen
04-04-2010, 06:59 AM
I do need to drop in weight, but not much. I had a 7 month layoff and am back at it again. I have never used boards though I have seen them being used in videos. Looks like they are just 2 x 4's stacked on eachother, or am I wrong? Also should I just use the amount of weight necessary to get the bar down to the boards or go heavier? And should I train without the shirt at all since I only have 3 months before the meet? Sorry for so many questions, i've been trying to read as much as possible because I live in the sticks and there's no gym or pros to talk to.

I know the last couple posts say dont use the boards. Well I am all for using boards and I think that it will help you learn the shirt. But that is just me. I would never train full range with a new shirt right away. 3 Months is long enough to figure out the shirt as long as you are patient and take your time. The goal of using the boards is not to overload your bench it is to become comfortable with your shirt and work with a little heavier weight than you could going full range. For instance my last comp best lift was 711 SO my board cycle is working with 730-745 range this will help me feel the weight out and become comfortable with it. Once I have passed those numbers full range I will increase But the idea isnt to just put as much weight on as possible and crush you. Let me know how that works if you want to try it. If you have any questions feel free to let me know.

shocker4221
04-04-2010, 10:39 AM
I appreciate all the info but i'm still uncertain as to how much I should train in the shirt each session, what is too much or is it just how I feel? I also am unsure about frequency, should i train in shirt and without on same days or rotate?

Thanks again everyone

Mick Manley
04-04-2010, 10:56 AM
im gunna have to go ahead and disagree with everyone who says not to use boards, with shirt work its a necessity IMO.

Just starting out, keep it at double, we rarely ever do more than 2 reps. And I wouldnt go up to your raw max either, u kno what your raw max is, this is shirted benching raw has nothing to do with shirted benching. I go 225 to my chest, 275 to a 2board, 315 or so to a 3 and put on my shirt. Id do a few weeks with 2 and 3 boards. if youre working 2 and 3 boards u can probably do about 5 working sets. The lower the boards get, the harder its gunna hit the body and youll wanna drop a set, or do a single instead of a double.

vdizenzo
04-04-2010, 01:56 PM
As a judge, lifter, and somewhat of a coach, I will say this, board presses in the shirt are overused. More and more people are bombing out on a regular basis because of them. I think board presses with the shirt can be a good secondary exercise. I don't care if you use a half board, that last inch is the bitch of the bunch. I hit my first 800 bench 5 years ago. My training then was reps and full range in the shirt. After that I fell in love with boards because that is what I was told all the big time benchers were using. Yeah, I was able to hit 900 and up to 1000 lb board presses, however, not one pr in a meet. This past fall I did one training cycle full range and hit a 20lb. pr as a 40 year old. Coincidence I think not.. But hey, wtf do I know.

Of course there are exceptions to this, but I see them far and few between. If you were training at a gym like Big Iron with a coach like Rick and lifters like Heck, Briggs, Frankl, Grandick, etc. my advice might be different.

AdrianLarsen
04-04-2010, 01:58 PM
im gunna have to go ahead and disagree with everyone who says not to use boards, with shirt work its a necessity IMO.

Just starting out, keep it at double, we rarely ever do more than 2 reps. And I wouldnt go up to your raw max either, u kno what your raw max is, this is shirted benching raw has nothing to do with shirted benching. I go 225 to my chest, 275 to a 2board, 315 or so to a 3 and put on my shirt. Id do a few weeks with 2 and 3 boards. if youre working 2 and 3 boards u can probably do about 5 working sets. The lower the boards get, the harder its gunna hit the body and youll wanna drop a set, or do a single instead of a double.

Great advice. If you are three months out from a comp there is no need to rotate in and out of your shirt train in your shirt and get it dialed in.

Mick Manley
04-04-2010, 02:19 PM
As a judge, lifter, and somewhat of a coach, I will say this, board presses in the shirt are overused. More and more people are bombing out on a regular basis because of them. I think board presses with the shirt can be a good secondary exercise. I don't care if you use a half board, that last inch is the bitch of the bunch. I hit my first 800 bench 5 years ago. My training then was reps and full range in the shirt. After that I fell in love with boards because that is what I was told all the big time benchers were using. Yeah, I was able to hit 900 and up to 1000 lb board presses, however, not one pr in a meet. This past fall I did one training cycle full range and hit a 20lb. pr as a 40 year old. Coincidence I think not.. But hey, wtf do I know.

Of course there are exceptions to this, but I see them far and few between. If you were training at a gym like Big Iron with a coach like Rick and lifters like Heck, Briggs, Frankl, Grandick, etc. my advice might be different.

The thing with boards is, people dont use them right, you could say the same thing about box squats. If used wrong, youre not going to get results that you want. Ive seen boards work very effectively on beginners to advanced, its our primary exercise and we have produced many many, 4,5,6,700+lbs benchers at all weight classes. Just my opinion tho.

vdizenzo
04-04-2010, 03:28 PM
The thing with boards is, people dont use them right, you could say the same thing about box squats. If used wrong, youre not going to get results that you want. Ive seen boards work very effectively on beginners to advanced, its our primary exercise and we have produced many many, 4,5,6,700+lbs benchers at all weight classes. Just my opinion tho.

Yes, if used correctly. We are talking to a beginner in the shirt. When you say "we" are you talking about the coach and crew at Big? If Tom could come train with you guys I'd recommend he listen to every word he was told. That's not the case here.

shocker4221
04-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Not sure if the beginner part was forgotten or the only one spotter. I plan on utilizing any and all techniques in the future when I am able to not only recruit more help but get the necessary equipment such as boards. I could make them simply enough with 2 x 4's but in every video I have seen there is usually one person holding the boards standing near the lifters legs and then there are spotters. My work out partner is not the strongest of guys but I have faith he can help if ever needed, I just wouldn't want him having to do too many things when I'm sitting under 400 lbs. So given the short amount of time (3 months) till the meet, I should use the shirt with every workout after working up to my 1 RM raw and then put on the shirt doing up to 3 sets? of 2 or 3. I know i need to be patient with the shirt, but should I go as high in weight necessary to bring the weight down as far as I can from the start?

I hope you guys aren't getting aggravated with all my questions. I've been doing my homework by reading as much as possible too. Thanks again

vdizenzo
04-04-2010, 08:01 PM
You are doing fine shocker. I certainly hope you will be benching inside a rack. If not, you'll need three spotters. A liftoff guy and a spot on each side. Benching in a shirt can be very dangerous and should not be taken lightly.

Rob Luyando
04-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Ok first off I think I am qualified. To put my two cents in on this topic. Mick you are fortunate to be trained by the best coach in the sport. Rick Hussey is full of knowledge and knows how to bring the best out of everyone he works with. I have trained at BIG in the past intense atmosphere with so many elite lifters. What Rick has you guys do works but keep in mind not everyone is blessed to train with a full team and coach. I am a huge fan of board training but I am a firm believer in boards being for exsperienced lifters. I have to agree with Vincent this newbie will be better off to work with tripples and no boards. He trains with only one person so his groove and his spotter should should be concentrating on spotting not holding boards. Even as exsperienced as I am and with all the all time world records I have broken and held boards can even **** up my groove. You have to master full range before you can rely on boards.

shocker4221
04-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Unfortunately no power rack available. So I guess both myself and spotter will have to take it nice and slow.

Tim K
04-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Unfortunately no power rack available. So I guess both myself and spotter will have to take it nice and slow.

Without a rack or the appropriate spotters, you really shouldn't be training in a shirt. Bad things happen fast, no matter how slowly you believe you are going.

drew
04-05-2010, 07:11 AM

You are asking to get hurt or killed. Even with spotters, bad things can happen when you put on a bench shirt. Don't be ****ing stupid.

shocker4221
04-05-2010, 08:04 AM
OK, so i'm hearing no power rack, no shirt lift. Any ideas of how I can still lift and not kill myself if something goes wrong?

drew
04-05-2010, 08:36 AM
OK, so i'm hearing no power rack, no shirt lift. Any ideas of how I can still lift and not kill myself if something goes wrong?

Get more training partners.

Honestly, if something goes wrong in the shirt, there is absolutely nothing that you can do to get out of it without someone else pulling the weight off of you.

vdizenzo
04-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Where will you be training?

shocker4221
04-05-2010, 10:31 AM
do all my training in my garage. The setup I have does have the safety bars similar to that in a power rack, just nothing to keep weight from going towards my feet.

vdizenzo
04-05-2010, 11:08 AM
If it were me, I'd put two eye bolts into studs in the ceiling and secure tow straps to the bar.

theBarzeen
04-05-2010, 11:53 AM
do all my training in my garage. The setup I have does have the safety bars similar to that in a power rack, just nothing to keep weight from going towards my feet.

in a shirt you should be more worried about the weight going toward your head...... it's pretty rare that you'll miss it toward your feet.......... even something like a face saver taped to the rack so if you miss the lift you don't smash your face........

in a pinch just some equipment to keep you from eating the bar will work, but everyone else on here is right, it might be worth it to drive somewhere to train once a month with people who really know their stuff......

BloodandThunder
04-05-2010, 12:56 PM
As someone who trains more beginners in shirts, I have to agree with Rob and Vinny on this one. You have a Rage, so the groove should be pretty forgiving. Doubles and Triples are definitely worth their weight at this point. While it may help confidence to touch heavier weights to mid range boards, nothing beats out getting full range reps to newbies in shirts. In fact, Vinny wrote a good article on triples-training on elite which you should select. Board training is great though for building a lockout and pushing your tricep strength. If your shirted groove matches your board groove, then someday you can take this into account.

Just also be aware that you'll need to bring up your lat and tricep strength drastically if you want to be a good shirted bencher. You can start by focusing on these aspects until you get a good crew to train with. Random strangers at the gym, your best friends, your neighbor's aunt and uncle, are NOT people you want spotting and helping with your shirted bench. Focus on extra work for these areas (see Westside GPP stuff) and things like rack presses, CG work, rows rows and more rows to prepare you for the shirt.

shocker4221
04-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Ok well that didn't go as planned at all. Spent over an hour trying to get the shirt on right, used powder, garbage bags and couldn't get the shirt seated properly in my arm pits, my arms are too big for the sleeves. I tried putting weight on bar to stretch it down, which was awfully painful around my shoulders with the seam almost cutting my arms off. Took the shirt off several times and tried stretching sleeves with two of us pulling on them but still didn't work. I don't really think the shirt is too small cause it seems to want to fit around the chest. I've read about using soccer balls or foot balls partially deflated to help stretch the sleeves, any other options?

robchris
04-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Shocker,
What size shirt is it? Did you size it correctly according to the sizing chart, BW, etc.?(just asking the obvious)

Keep in mind sometimes guys w/ stockier builds/ big arms have to go a size up to fit thier arms and get the chest plate taken in... Something to consider.

vdizenzo
04-05-2010, 07:23 PM
I have used water bottles to stretch sleeves out. You just need to find the right combination of bottle size and how many. Welcome to equipped benching. My tight shirt actually takes about 3 seconds to get on, sorry to rub it in. I use multiple size shirts. I know this sounds costly, but this is not a cheap sport unless you lift raw and don't travel to compete. Just a few things to think about.

Keep at it. Good things rarely come easy.

shocker4221
04-05-2010, 07:44 PM
It's a size 52. Yeah I sized it according to Inzer, my chest had a half inch so I even rounded up to make sure, then added the 2. Yes, I have a rather stocky build. It seemed as if I were able to get it on all the way, the chest would have fit pretty well. I ran out and bought two small footballs and am going to try and shove them in the sleeves. So much anticipation trying out the shirt just to get disappoined because of having big arms.

shocker4221
04-05-2010, 07:46 PM
I just read in another question about wetting the shirt. Should this be done just prior to use?

shocker4221
04-14-2010, 09:00 AM
okay, i've stretched the sleeves out enough to get them over my arms all the way and seated in my arm pits, but there is a seam that I think should go over the top of the shoulder and not on the side. This seam feels like it is restricting me from even getting the bar half way down because it feels like the seam wants to cut my arm off at the shoulder. Is this normal? I know it's hard to explain without seeing it.

AdamBAG
04-14-2010, 10:32 AM
okay, i've stretched the sleeves out enough to get them over my arms all the way and seated in my arm pits, but there is a seam that I think should go over the top of the shoulder and not on the side. This seam feels like it is restricting me from even getting the bar half way down because it feels like the seam wants to cut my arm off at the shoulder. Is this normal? I know it's hard to explain without seeing it.

There should be a seam behind the tricep, below the shoulder.

In my opinion this shirt is too small for you as a beginner.

robchris
04-14-2010, 07:51 PM
There should be a seam behind the tricep, below the shoulder.

In my opinion this shirt is too small for you as a beginner.

Agreed... This shirt sounds pretty darn tight, esp. for a beginner.

If you were more experianced I'd say add more weight, tuck hard, arch and pull the bar down... Normal shirt stuff. if its not hurtin it aint workin bro...:evillaugh: You'll have plenty of bruising w/ a new shirt. However, trying to learn this way could be dangerous unless you have experianced training partners around!

Have you tried wetting the shirt down as stated earlier? Use a spray bottle and wet the chest plate and behind the arms prior to use... I did this w/ my SK and it really helped when I was trying to touch weight the first time.
Good Luck,RC

shocker4221
04-15-2010, 09:42 AM
yes the shirt sleeves are very tight and leave their mark, but the shoulders don't seem tight at all except for the seam that goes across the side delt. I had the seams lined up right on the triceps but the shoulder seam is what feels like it should be on top of the shoulder and not cutting into my side delts. No, i haven't tried to wet it before use but will if that would get the seam up higher on the shoulder.

Travis Bell
04-15-2010, 11:13 AM
That's right where the shirt is supposed to be. Unless you shove your shoulder down the sleeve, it's not going to be tight around the whole shoulder (nor should it be)

I was in my shirt just yesterday, my arms are bloodied up, but there is nothing around my shoulders and my shirt works just fine.

Sounds like this one is just too small for you to really get a feel for it.

shocker4221
04-15-2010, 11:19 PM
ok so the seam that attaches the sleeve to the shirt should be along the side delt and not on top? If that's the case then maybe the shirt could work, would just be a bit tight. Several of you said it sounds like it's too tight, should I get one the next size up?

robchris
04-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Shocker,
Have you benched in the shirt yet? Set the shirt w/ the sleeves seated in your arm-pits and the collar high.

Take some weight and give it a whirl... W/ spotters of course! Its the only way to break the shirt in and that will give you a lot better idea how the shirt is acting... Nothing ventured nothing gained! Get in tha' game bro!
RC

shocker4221
04-17-2010, 08:42 AM
I've tried using the shirt twice already. The second time it did seem like I was able to get the same weight down a hair more towards my chest. I am going to try to take a short video and post so everyone can see exactly what I'm doing wrong and see how the shirt is fitting.

shocker4221
05-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Well I had to go buy another shirt because the Rage just wasn't stretching enough. I bought a Fury and spoke with Mr. Anderson about the previous problem with the Rage, and he agreed with many of you that it sounds like it didn't fit. I have worked out in the Fury twice now and it seems to fit much better than the other shirt. Here's the question? I did 375 raw not even a week ago and today when lifting in the shirt I had 405 and did 3 sets of 3. I'm able to get the bar down to about 3 inches from touching (haven't made the boards yet). Should I increase the weight or keep it where it is and let the shirt keep stretching?

shocker4221
05-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Anyone??????

Jay1
05-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Add weight. It sounds like you're on the right track now. Ken is really good about getting a shirt you can use.

shocker4221
05-07-2010, 10:37 PM
How much weight should I add at a time? I'm competing in a meet in 6 weeks and am wondering if I should train both in the shirt and raw each week till then? Also hoping to add video after tomorrows workout.

robchris
05-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Shocker,
Add weight to the bar but not too much... I'd say 25lb or so. No more than it takes to touch b/c you have to control the bar on the descent.

3" is a lot in the shirt world so you have to touch to figure out where to go from here. If I was (6) weeks out I would be trying to touch some weight every week!

Warm-up raw to about 80% 1rm, then shirt-up and try to touch some weight... Are you appling all the aforementioned points suggested thus far? (arch high, tuck elbows, belly up, pulling the bar down, etc.)
RC
RC

shocker4221
05-08-2010, 06:22 PM
RC

I added up to 30 lbs today and still couldn't get the bar down to my chest. I figured it would take a little bit more than my raw bench but now i'm 60 lbs over. I was able to get it down to about 2 in from my chest. At the bottom, I kept the weight motionless and attempted to pull it down but it wasn't moving any lower. I couldn't take video today because of lack of available hands, but will on Tuesday when I try it again. I have been arching as much as I can so far, pulling on the bar down, trying to push my belly up, driving as best I can with my feet, but not sure how much i'm actually tucking my elbows. Hopefully I can get good enough video so I can get some pointers as I'm sure I'm messing something up. I still can't believe I'm laying under 400 lbs and trying to press it! These shirts may hurt like hell, but they are very impressive so far.

Tom

Jay1
05-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Shirted triples sometimes help. Try to get the bar lower each time. You also may need a little more weight and continue to work on tucking. Also may need to keep the collar a little higher.

shocker4221
05-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Jay,

The first two times I used the shirt I was using 405 and triples each session. The lowest I was able to get the weight was about 3 inches from touching. The collar is as high as I can get it, just about touches my throat.

Jay1
05-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Jay,

The first two times I used the shirt I was using 405 and triples each session. The lowest I was able to get the weight was about 3 inches from touching. The collar is as high as I can get it, just about touches my throat.

Some guys will get the chest plate wet with a spray bottle to help a new shirt stretch so you might try that. If your lockout strength is high enough you may just have to put more weight on the bar. Use three spotters if your a little unsure of it coming back up.

What size shirt did Ken sell you and what is your chest measurement?

shocker4221
05-08-2010, 10:13 PM
My chest size is 49 1/2" and Ken sold me a size 48 Fury. I was skeptical at first because I first bought an Inzer Rage size 52 and wasn't able to even come close to getting it on but the Fury fits much better.

Jay1
05-08-2010, 10:36 PM
I'd say you're in the "right sized" shirt then. Ken put me in a 52 Super K and my chest is 54. It takes me about 700 to touch in it though and I'm still working the bugs out of it. I consider this my meet shirt. I called him back for suggestions on a training shirt and he put me in a 52 F-6 rather than a bigger shirt. This has worked out pretty well and I've been able to touch with 550 in the F-6. His advise to me was to work down the boards adding weight each week until I could touch. That may take alot of weight and it may take a little while to get used to the pressure that builds in your head when you're down low. I'd stick with the shirt though.

shocker4221
05-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Well no video again, not enough available hands. I gave into peer pressure and attempted a PR and got it (380) raw. I managed to get the PR, and then tried to do some shirt work. Not sure if that was the best idea. I got 435 almost all the way down and then had a struggle locking out. I then dropped to 417 and was going to do several reps and see if I could touch. I was able to touch after pulling the bar like my life depended on it, but I wasn't able to press it up even half way. Not sure if I wore myself out from my PR or what? Any opinions?

Jay1
05-11-2010, 09:39 PM
I'd only go to 315 for a single. Then throw the shirt on. It sounds like your spending energy that you need to save for locking out a heavy single. You'll also want to do more lockout work like rack lockouts, 4 bd press and work the triceps hard. These were all problems I had when I started using shirts again. Now I know I will get the weight at least half way up and that's where the fight begins.

shocker4221
05-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I hope you guys aren't getting tired of me yet. I have lifted in the Fury now 5 times and still don't have it mastered, not that I thought I would. Ok, today I started with 425 and did a set of 3 that came down to about an inch off my chest and it felt easy going up. I then wet the shirt and did 445 for a single to about just under an inch from my chest, also felt easy. I then jumped up to 455 and still couldn't touch but couldn't lock it out. Next set was 435, unknowing to me because I wanted to just drop 10 lbs to 445 but did a single and couldn't touch. Last did 445 for a single and touched and paused (seemed like forever) but couldn't lock it out. Being that I was able to touch with 445, should I remain at that weight and continue to work on it?

vdizenzo
05-26-2010, 05:30 AM
Post some video.

AdamBAG
05-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Yes, post some video. I imagine there is a technique issue that's keeping you from touching.

shocker4221
05-26-2010, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OKNP690Q3k

Ryano
05-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Can't see your entire setup with the vid view but you should get your grip out farther. Your arch is almost non-existant and your belt is to high. These three things will shorten your ROM alot, which will help you touch. Also, you don't tuck your elbows. If you tuck, you will touch EZ.

shocker4221
05-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Ryano,

I thought I was doing all of those to some extent, but you really can't see for yourself until you look from the outside. How much further would you recommend on hand placement or is it just trial and error? I will try to do better on those and take another video so I can re-check to see if there is any difference. Thanks for the help.

Tom

robchris
05-27-2010, 05:40 PM
shocker,
I admire your tenacity bro... Hang in there and keep working! Nobody ever said geared PL'ing was easy.

Once you master it though you'll love it! As far as grip; index finger covering the rings... Apply all the other stuff Ryano suggested (arch-belly up, tuck elbows more)
RC

AdamBAG
05-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Ryano,

I thought I was doing all of those to some extent, but you really can't see for yourself until you look from the outside. How much further would you recommend on hand placement or is it just trial and error? I will try to do better on those and take another video so I can re-check to see if there is any difference. Thanks for the help.

Tom

I think if you move your grip to maximum comp grip (index/pointer finger on the ring) then you will be able to touch with lighter weights.

shocker4221
05-28-2010, 11:35 AM
thanks guys for all the help. I plan on working in the shirt again on Mon and will focus on everything mentioned and hopefully take another video to post. I do have another question about the shirt, it's a Fury and i've read that shirt's groove is similar to traditional benching, touching on the chest as compared to higher end shirts that have a groove that brings the bar down to the upper abs area. I tried to bring it up higher on my chest and it didn't feel like it was even possible due to the shirt not wanting to stretch that way. Not sure if i'm making this too technical or should just bring it down to my lower chest/upper abs.

Thanks rob, though i'm getting started in PL'ing a bit late I still think with the right knowledge if applied properly, I can put up some good numbers.

Ryano
05-28-2010, 01:45 PM
The groove in a Fury is higher than that of an F6, but you still need to touch below nipple or just at bottom of sternum area. Depends on your build and how the shirt is fit. Most feds it doesn't matter, just touch. If you need to touch lower, do it. Just check the feds rules that you are going to lift in.

vdizenzo
05-29-2010, 08:43 AM
You are not being patient enough. If you were training with us, every one of those would have touched. Nut up and let the bar settle. Also, get yourself in a stable position. Your legs should not be coming up like that when you bench. You should also have that guy behind you help lift off. It will help you start your bench from a better position.

shocker4221
05-29-2010, 12:06 PM
I had spotters on each side of the bar that help with lift offs and racking, the kid behind me i guess was just goofing off ( I had words with him afterwards). I think I started moving my legs only after my spotters grabbed the weight, but I see what your saying. I realize i've been trying to rush this new experience with the shirt, just eager to catch up since getting into it so late. I wish I was able to train with many of you guys or even just watch and learn, unfortunately the closest gym with any powerlifters to me is almost 3 hours away.

Tim K
05-29-2010, 12:38 PM
..unfortunately the closest gym with any powerlifters to me is almost 3 hours away.

You need to make that drive.

JK1
05-29-2010, 01:52 PM
I had spotters on each side of the bar that help with lift offs and racking, the kid behind me i guess was just goofing off ( I had words with him afterwards). I think I started moving my legs only after my spotters grabbed the weight, but I see what your saying. I realize i've been trying to rush this new experience with the shirt, just eager to catch up since getting into it so late. I wish I was able to train with many of you guys or even just watch and learn, unfortunately the closest gym with any powerlifters to me is almost 3 hours away.

You need to get someone else handing off or wack that dude in the head with a 10 lb plate then.

I personally dont like the side handoffs unless the lifter is using ridiculous weight... Its not as much about lifting the weight as it is about you being able to get set up with the bar in the correct position and be steady. i've had my 140 lb wife hand off 700+ to me. With a person on either side, someone almost always lifts the weight faster or picks up one side more than the other unless they are extremely experienced. You can see that in your video. You start rocking no more than you get the handoff---I'd blame the guy on the left based on the bar movement, but its hard to say because you can't see him.

you absolutely must stay tight to bench in a shirt and get anything from the shirt. You were rocking all over the place. You've got a pretty good summary of problems to work on here in this thread. I personally would write them down on a piece of paper and make a list... go through that list either in your head or have a training partner read it to you every time you get on the bench on Monday.

shocker4221
05-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Well I lifted and tried to do everything as suggested. I took video which will probably be posted tomorrow. I must have done something right because I was able to touch with lighter weight (405). I touced with 405 for two singles and then did 455 twice for singles before pushing up 475. I was able to touch with each lift and felt I may have had a bit more in me. After reviewing the video it didn't appear I was tucking my arms too much even though I felt like I was. Hopefully I can get some more feedback after posting the video. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and tips.

vdizenzo
05-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Great work! I can't wait to see the vid.

JK1
05-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Well I lifted and tried to do everything as suggested. I took video which will probably be posted tomorrow. I must have done something right because I was able to touch with lighter weight (405). I touced with 405 for two singles and then did 455 twice for singles before pushing up 475. I was able to touch with each lift and felt I may have had a bit more in me. After reviewing the video it didn't appear I was tucking my arms too much even though I felt like I was. Hopefully I can get some more feedback after posting the video. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and tips.

Good job!

Ryano
06-01-2010, 04:51 AM
Congrats. Now that you can touch, it's on to bigger PR's, for sure.

robchris
06-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Outstanding!!!!

Sounds like things are "clicking" now... Look forward to seeing the vid bro!

shocker4221
06-02-2010, 09:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JovUIFaDpVk

shocker4221
06-03-2010, 09:48 AM
after looking at video it still doesn't look like i'm tucking my elbows in very much

AdamBAG
06-03-2010, 12:31 PM
The tucking looks fine to me man.

Please, please, please, please, please stop benching in a shirt without side spotters or safety pins/rack! You are playing with fire. Even the best guys in shirts will throw one towards their face every once in a while. It will happen fast and it won't be pretty.

BloodandThunder
06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
^^^^^ x2 no side spotters is never a good thing.

That bench looks very high...Your feet are barely touching the floor. If you're competing in a fed that requires you have feet flat, you should be practicing driving your heels into the floor hard. Otherwise, try bringing your feet back and pushing through on your toes which should help with your arch. Either way, put some plates on the floor if you can't touch the floor. Also, keep working on your tightness, your entire body should be tight (especially the shoulder blades pulled back and together).

robchris
06-03-2010, 05:56 PM
shocker,

Makin' a lot of progress bro! Now that you're touching in the shirt time to fine tune your form... Be patient and it'll come.

In addition to what the two previous post said, one thing I noticed is you're not holding the bar at the top after completing the press. Throwing the bar back after the rep is completed is a bad habit I used to have too...Hold the weight at the top for a second just as you would during compettion and have your training partner give the "rack" command.