PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back Pain

Andre518
04-02-2010, 11:25 PM
About 6-7 weeks or so I tweaked my lower back a little nothing that I had to go to the doctors for. I took a week off went back doing 5/3/1 without deads instead did some lower back rehab after 4 weeks it was still soar I tried sleeping on my floor for one of the weeks bu that only helped a little. I just took another week off and it still is bothering. Its nothing where I can not do certain things its just soar and I feel it a lot more when Im driving. I really want to get back to training hard and get back to my DL's but worry about messing my back up more. I just ordered some blue heat last night hoping that may help but I can not keep taking time off from training I was wondering if anyone could give me so tips on what I can to get back in the game here. Thanks in advance to anyone that has any input.

jtteg_x
04-03-2010, 01:50 AM
I think its time to visit the doctor. I "tweaked" my lowerback doing squats (moderate weight) years ago. I felt this sharp pain but went away the following night after ice. Since that day, it was difficult to do heavy deads or squats. I trained around it without seeing a doctor. Fast forward 1 year, turns out the nerves that sit inbetween my spine in the lower section were compressed so bad that it damaged the nerve permanently. I was prescribed ibuprofen and to do therapy (inversion table + deep tissue massage). Those two helped A LOT. I never did it much but Icing frequently helps as well.

AdamBAG
04-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Go see a doctor or at least a very good chiro that will do x-rays. You may have a bulging disc. This is my issue. Had I shut it down and rehabbed when I first hurt it then I might not be in the shape I am today. The fact that it bothers you when driving makes me think it's a disc issue, but obviously I'm not a doc. My injury will bother me when driving or when sitting for a long time b/c my lower back is in "flexion" or rounded forward. When my low back is in "extension" I feel fine. That's why standing and doing bench don't bother it at all.

Unless deadlifting is putting food on the table then I'd just take some time off and see a doctor and chiro. I have a good chiro that is a powerlifter and he has helped me a ton.

Sean S
04-03-2010, 08:42 AM
These guys are right. If it has been that long and it's bothering you, it should be looked at. Something minor that will heal on its own would have done so by now. That doesn't means it's anything really serious or bad, but clearly prolonged rest isn't helping, so you need to try something else.

Travis Bell
04-03-2010, 08:47 AM
This is one of the reasons that the Reverse Hyper is really so beneficial to everyone. It can relieve that spinal compression (as can an inversion table) as well as strengthen the injured area (inversion table cannot do)

I'm with others though, probably time to see a doc and get some input as to what is actually going on down there.

robchris
04-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Andre,

We've all been there bro... Hurt my back doin' hvy. power-cleans a couple of years ago. Tried self therapy for a month or so and finally drug my a** to my Dr.
He told me it was a pinched nerve and prescribed me some antiflammatorys and ice... No pulling for about 6-months though.
It took it that long for the nagging pain to go away. If I had got it checked sooner it wouldnt have taken that long to recover but I tried to be tuff and work thru it... I'm back pulling close to what I was pre-injury now, but it was a long road back... Get it checked bro & it'll give you a little more peace of mind to know what you're dealing with!

Good luck,
RC

ScottYard
04-03-2010, 11:14 AM
When I tore my bicep tendon I just thought that it was a strain or something. After trying to treat it myself I ended up missing a good 4 months of training.

Let the professionals figure it out.

Andre518
04-04-2010, 06:37 AM
Thanks everyone for the concern and advice. To be honest yesterday morning when I woke there were only the first two post up on this thread and after reading them I went to Urgent Care and got checked out. I have a strained back with spasms. I got prescribed a pain killer, anti-inflammatory, and muscle relaxer. I had kinda in and out of it all day yesterday but at least I know what is wrong and hopefully will be back in the gym soon and training hard after some rest and rehabbing. Thanks a lot again guys. Happy Easter!

Travis I hear you about the reversehyper, I wish I had access to one and a a glute/ham machine but for right now I do not. :(

nexus77241
04-04-2010, 10:22 AM
I had lower back pain. Went to the dr, the chirporactor and everything for months. A friend of mine recommended a sports massage. As it turned out, my hamstrings and glutes were so tight, they were causing my back pain. I was told to do a yoga stretch everyday (pigeon pose) and my problem has almost completely disappeared.

Cmanuel
04-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the concern and advice. To be honest yesterday morning when I woke there were only the first two post up on this thread and after reading them I went to Urgent Care and got checked out. I have a strained back with spasms. I got prescribed a pain killer, anti-inflammatory, and muscle relaxer. I had kinda in and out of it all day yesterday but at least I know what is wrong and hopefully will be back in the gym soon and training hard after some rest and rehabbing. Thanks a lot again guys. Happy Easter!

Travis I hear you about the reversehyper, I wish I had access to one and a a glute/ham machine but for right now I do not. :(

Interesting, sounds like we are having similar issues right now. I went to the Dr. Friday to have my lower back checked out. I can grind through heavy DLs without thinking about it, but the next week is absolute hell. I was basically prescribed the same things as you, will be curious to see how it recouperates.

Are you going to do any massages? I have two 30 minute sessions scheduled for next week, hoping that helps.