PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to HIIT Sprints? - my shins are sore atm

fixationdarknes
04-04-2010, 05:23 PM
My shins at the moment are pretty banged up. I generally do my sprints at a park on some grassy areas so as to cushion the landing of each step, but this past week the park I go to was closed so I just resorted to sprinting on the roads. As a result I was in a good amount of shin pain, so I had to take Saturday off.

This coming week though I feel like I still need a bit of shin healing, but I don't want to just stop my HIIT. Is there something I can do in the mean time and maybe even in the future as well as an alternative to sprints that will grant me similar side effects of metabolic and fat-burning efficiency?

Thanks.

Astreocclu
04-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Complexes?:P

fixationdarknes
04-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Well, I won't be in the gym on these days, so I won't have weights to do complexes. Is there something similar I could do with bodyweight exercises like Burpees or something?

VikingWarlord
04-04-2010, 10:32 PM
HIIT can be done with a rower, a bike, a treadmill, a jump rope, a swimming pool, or pretty much anything else. Keep the protocol the same and change the modality. It doesn't really require that much thought.

fixationdarknes
04-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Jump rope sounds like a good idea. But at the moment I've been doing 10/50 second sprint/walk. I realize that's quite a bit much on the resting portion, but I really like being able to go all out on my sprints. I somehow doubt though that I could get the same level of intensity with jump rope in 10 seconds. Should I lengthen the interval?

fixationdarknes
04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I tried doing some Burpees today as an alternative to my sprints due to very sore shins. They seemed a bit easier on the shins than sprinting, however my problem right now is that my legs always get exhausted before my heart does. I'd like to somehow make the cardiovascular workout more intense while not destroying my legs.

What are the best upper body HIIT exercises?

I've been told a few times that Complexes work great, but I don't really have anything at my home that is much heavier than probably a 20-lb. ricebag (lol asian) or dumbbell. Could I somehow make complexes with that difficult enough to be effective?

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

ELmx479
04-08-2010, 06:41 PM
I would try hill sprints, they are much easier on the shins, joints, etc.. but are tough. When I did run my lower back would hurt or my shins would hurt, I had no problem doing hill sprints. I actually would like to start running some hills now the weather is nice.

fixationdarknes
04-08-2010, 07:24 PM
That sounds great! Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely give that a go.