PDA

View Full Version : Eat before you lift or after?

Moose08
04-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Ive been wondering about this for awhile...i work 5-4;30ish most days lunch being at 12, when i come home im quite hungery so i fix some stuff and eat up, then ill mess around in the garage for about 1hour -2 hours then go work out after the food has settled....is that good or would it be better to work out first then eat? :confused:

joey54
04-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Eat before and after. Could you squeeze in a meal around 3:30 pm at work during a break? That would probably good timing to get right into the gym afterwards.

Moose08
04-08-2010, 05:46 PM
best i could do during work would be light snack ie banna or something, but deffently good idea to eat a lil after? i normaly dont eat much of anything after

Mick Manley
04-08-2010, 05:58 PM
i eat before and after

Notorious
04-08-2010, 06:11 PM
I think what you're doing is fine. Maybe try to stay closer to the 1 hour mark, but it's not a huge deal. If you workout too soon after eating, you will feel like :drooling: during your workout.

kittenSmash
04-08-2010, 08:45 PM
I try and eat an hour before, and right after. But if you have enough energy to get through your training, I think the post workout might be more important.

fixationdarknes
04-09-2010, 03:02 AM
^ I'm no nutrition expert but from my experiences and what I understand they are both equally important. If anything actually I'd say the pre-nutrition is more important. If you don't have the proper carb and protein intake, you could end up catabolically owning yourself during your workout. And food takes time to digest, so it's not like once you have lifted weights the food you ate prior is now void. That being said, OP: I eat before, during, and after.

Guido
04-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Eat before and after. Could you squeeze in a meal around 3:30 pm at work during a break? That would probably good timing to get right into the gym afterwards.I work until 5, too, and this is what I do. I always bring snacks to work so I make sure I get something in an hour before I'm going to be hitting the gym. I'll take a fish oil and a swig of 100% juice for quick carbs right before I head to the gym, then of course I'll be sipping on my protein shake during my training session. After the gym I usually have a glass of milk and fix dinner (usually meat and some kind of vegetables).

Moose08
04-09-2010, 08:49 PM
^. If you don't have the proper carb and protein intake, you could end up catabolically owning yourself during your workout. And food takes time to digest, so it's not like once you have lifted weights the food you ate prior is now void..

very good point, all in all said going try to snack on a lil b4 for fact comeing home eating then letting it settle then working out by that time its 9;30 and have hit the sack .....thanks for imput guys thumbup:

Skalami
04-11-2010, 07:51 AM
if youre not eating to feel full and just for workout energy i would say have an apple and a protein sup with water before hitting el-gymO

DANDARE
04-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Dude have a protein shake with some oats thrown in around 2 hours b4 the gym and around 1/2 an hour after with some dinner (lean meats ), try drinking water to fill you up around 2 litres a day !!! Sometimes your body can fool you into thinking your hungry when actually your de-hydrated !!!

Hope this helps dude good luck !!!

kelvinwaugh
04-29-2010, 12:10 AM
That is true, eat some food before starting any lift or exercise, morning exercisers have an added advantage of having the rest of the day to eat, recover, and grow. Also, not eating right before going to bed can help in muscle stimulus and growth.

Guido
04-29-2010, 09:21 AM
That is true, eat some food before starting any lift or exercise, morning exercisers have an added advantage of having the rest of the day to eat, recover, and grow. Also, not eating right before going to bed can help in muscle stimulus and growth.That is a myth. There is little evidence that meal timing has much impact on growth except for the "peri-workout window" of just before, during, and after a training session.