PDA

View Full Version : constantly learning...

thewicked
04-05-2010, 10:55 PM
been at this for quite some time and obviously i'm still learning..

today after a couple weeks of this form and technique work advice i've gotten here and practiced..the number one being the shoulder blade squeezing and tucking produced another career pr of 365 for 5 reps raw with another in the tank today. At an all time low bodyweight to boot. SMOKED it all!

i also learned something too today.... that you should ALWAYS be trying to master your lifts. This takes a lifetime pursuit of perfection. Just like i've seen many times in my own career that when you think you've got it figured out, you don't know a ****ing thing. In todays session I noticed my right shoulder was feeling it more than my left and started watching my setup and bar path VERY closely. Turns out I favor my right side and carry the weight over to the point it fades during the descent to the right side. horizontally the bar is even but the weight slides to the right. What I've always thought has been "centered" actually isn't. What feels like i'm favoring left really is centered. Tiny things like this make a huge difference not only each session but throughout a career as far as numbers and longevity to name a few. Fixing this BEFORE or even during the press could've given me six or even 7 with how I was grooving today but I LEARNED something which will benefit me just as much as the weight I moved. What I've also discovered throughout my career as a trainer and athlete myself is that you don't tend to notice form and technique issues without either exhausting the muscles with reps to see which diminishes first which takes some time, or in regards to powerlifting and heavy lifting in general, we only tend to see problems when working with maximum weights which is more dangerous for us in a few aspects. The lesson learned here..

never stop assessing your work, slight changes here and there could make other weaknesses stronger...or more apparent.

NickAus
04-06-2010, 03:10 AM
Nice bench, well done!!

ThomasG
04-06-2010, 04:37 AM
Great post. I train alone so I always bring my third eye(camera) with me and asses myself.

tnathletics2b
04-06-2010, 05:16 AM
I agree completely, great post!

vdizenzo
04-06-2010, 05:44 AM
Great lifting. Good points.

Runty
04-06-2010, 02:50 PM
So true. I've video taped at least 1 or 2 of my working sets every single workout since I got a quality camera to check my form. Always changing the angle of video taping and such.

Like you said with the whole being centered thing, it's crazy how you can think and feel like your doing it right during the lift, but seeing it with your own eyes changes that. It's even a world of difference watching a video of yourself for critique than having some one critique you.

thewicked
04-07-2010, 02:24 PM
I've found that these three angles are the most critical when benching and checking form...two of the three might look perfect but if One is off then the lift could be screwed.

directly from the side to see the wrist, forearm, etc. alignment...

one over the top straight down over your person to see how the bar drifts in the bar path throughout the lift

and horizontally level with the person which is why mirrors help assess these last two...

when all three are solid then the lifts tend to not only feel GREAT but numbers climb with it as well

ironwill727
04-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Great post. I train alone too and the camera helps. Working on technique (especially on the big 3) is always important and will help strength in the long run.

Just one thing I have learned is that learning too much can be a catch 22. Sometimes it causes you to overthink things and sometimes we just need to bust our ass in the gym to get strong.

robchris
04-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Well said wicked... You can always increase your numbers via technique quicker than w/ brute strength alone.
RC