PDA

View Full Version : Is focusing on bulk/cut more effective than maintaining?

fixationdarknes
04-07-2010, 03:10 AM
I weigh approximately 155 lbs. right now. At 5'7" height. Hypothetically if I bulked to 170 then cut back down to 155 afterward, would I have seen greater results than simply eating at maintenance level and keeping my weight of 155 with the goal of gaining some muscle and losing some fat?

I just don't necessarily like the idea of being so drastic in bodily changes you know? But I definitely don't want to be wasting my time.

If it is more effective (I'm assuming there's a reason bulking and cutting phases take place), why is it more effective? I'm rather curious.

Off Road
04-07-2010, 06:46 AM
The repair and growth of muscle takes energy. That energy comes in the form of food. It is not a required process for the body to survive, so if there isn't an excess of energy the body will skip the growth process.

VikingWarlord
04-07-2010, 08:10 AM
The repair and growth of muscle takes energy. That energy comes in the form of food. It is not a required process for the body to survive, so if there isn't an excess of energy the body will skip the growth process.

That isn't necessarily the case. A recomp is entirely possible. It's very, very slow, but it's definitely within the realm of possibility.

OP, you aren't really talking about maintaining. You're talking about recomping. Eat right around maintenance and train hard and it's very possible to do it. Bulking is really for people that need to gain weight. If you're happy with your bodyweight but want to change the composition, a recomp is a perfectly acceptable way to do it.

Daniel Roberts
04-07-2010, 08:22 AM
There still has to be an excess somewhere though (if he intends to put on some muscle mass) whether that be ingested or liberated from stored bodyfat. If the OP is a lean 155lbs and wants to stay that weight there's not a hell of a lot he can hope to achieve in terms of recomposition within reason.
If he's a chubby or fat 155lbs then a recomp is workable; there's some wiggle room there.

So OP why is 155lbs, your current weight, your target weight?

VikingWarlord
04-07-2010, 09:43 AM
If he's a chubby or fat 155lbs then a recomp is workable; there's some wiggle room there.

Based on the limited information in the first post, that's what I was figuring. He's got some bodyfat to drop.

That's why I said it's not necessarily the case. It depends on his situation.

Daniel Roberts
04-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Sorry VW (I just can't bring myself to type the whole thing, feels like I'm playing Dungeons and Dragons!) my post was directed at the OP not specifically your comments which I understood completely.

VikingWarlord
04-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Sorry VW (I just can't bring myself to type the whole thing, feels like I'm playing Dungeons and Dragons!) my post was directed at the OP not specifically your comments which I understood completely.

Ah. No problem. I like to be as clear as possible.

fixationdarknes
04-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Hm, well I'm not really chubby, but I'm not as lean as I'd like to be. You guys would probably tell me to bulk when seeing pics of me XD Is it viable to retain your BF% while bulking? I mean even if I gained some fat I'd have more muscle so the percentage could remain the same right? I don't want to bulk too fast/dirty.

Here is a link to a few pics I recently posted in my journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?133942-The-odds-will-be-against-you-but-you-are-true-heroes.&p=2317615&viewfull=1#post2317615