PDA

View Full Version : My first meet this Saturday...suggestions...

bojackson
04-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Ok guys,im doing my first meet this saturday. Mastermonster is hosting it here in Alabama. Got my singlet in the other day, my wife **** herself when i put it on, but it was worth the laugh. Im hoping to total 1300, but i popped a hemroid a few weeks back DLing, so myraining has been hampered. Figured id go ahead with the meet and get some experience. I lift 100% raw, looking to add some lifting gear maybe later this summer, so i have no clue what to expect. I heard the adrenaline and atmosphere at these things can give some guys added strength, and some it does not. Any advice on what all i need to bring? thanks guys...

ehopkins932
04-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Well I guess you know not to touch a weight this week. Bring gatorade or pedalyte and some water to drink. I bring 2 protein shakes and like 2-3 PB&J sandwiches (I use almond butter though because of allergies). Keep calm the whole time and have fun! Do you have your attempts and warm-ups planned?

ScottYard
04-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Lower your openers. Thats the best thing I can tell you. Gym lifts dont correlate very well to meet day for novice lifters. I bombed my first 2 meets because of that.

Take enough food for the day. Stay away from simple sugars and thigns that will make you crash.

Take your own toilet paper lol. May sound odd but you wont believe how many guys **** there brains out the day of a meet and use all the TP within the first 10 minutes of the meet.

Just have fun with this one.

Beverly McD.
04-08-2010, 01:55 PM
All excellent advice! One more, take some Immodium or another anti-diarreal med before the meet that morning. Make that two more, attend the rules meeting.. Every question you have and a lot more you haven't even thought of will be answered. The rules meeting will be very thorough.
Mike and I will be judging. Let us know who you are and we'll nudge you in the right direction if we see you scewing up LOL:windup:
Okay I can't count. 2 more. Bring a t-shirt and bring a pair of socks, tape or shinguards for deadlifts.

vdizenzo
04-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Do not try and go to bed too early. When I was a rookie I'd hit the rack so early and ultimately wake up in the middle of the night and find it hard to get back to sleep. Now I make sure I'm exhausted before I turn in. I'd rather 5 hours of uninterupted sleep than 8 hours of off and on.

Don't forget to have fun. Best of luck.

Cmanuel
04-08-2010, 04:11 PM
read this
http://www.marylandpowerlifting.com/page.asp?contentID=135

bojackson
04-08-2010, 05:30 PM
i squat and DL in regular tennis shoes, is that ok? do i need to bring my own chalk? are knee sleeves allowed in the raw division?

Brian Hopper
04-08-2010, 07:40 PM
i squat and DL in regular tennis shoes, is that ok? do i need to bring my own chalk? are knee sleeves allowed in the raw division?

You can deadlift in whatever shoes you want as long as it has a sole. But I would rather pull in DL slippers or chuck taylors. The meet should have chalk, but it wouldn't hurt to bring your own just in case. I always try to bring some of my own chalk. Knee sleeves or knee wraps are not allowed in the APF/AAPF. I believe the raw divison only allows wrist wraps and a belt.

Ryano
04-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Don't do anything different than you do prior to an ME workout. Like said before, keep your openers LOW. It doesn't matter what you start with, only what you finish with. Pay particular attention to the rules. Don't miss a lift because you beat a command. Don't warm up to much. I see alot of newer lifters get in the warmup room and try to "impress" people there, even to the point of missing a warmup lift. Remember, it's a warmup, not a workout. If you have any questions at all, just ask Buddy, Bev or Mike. They will go out of their way to help, I'm sure. Most important HAVE FUN. That's why you're there.

bojackson
04-09-2010, 06:53 AM
thanx guys.........i appreciate all the advice. im looking foward to the meet.

theBarzeen
04-09-2010, 04:34 PM
I'll pitch in my $0.02

Wake up earlier than you think you should and take the time to eat a real breakfast.... poop a few times....... and take your time heading over to the meet site...... no rushing = no extra stress...... bring lots of food to snack on and to keep the buddies who are going with you to lift off for your bench and help you out well fed and hydrated..... don't forget to thank them with dinner or a beer too..... +1 for what Scot said, lower your openers.... your first attempt ( squat especially) is always nerve-racking so having an opener that you are 100% sure you'll smoke is really nice......... then don't forget to talk to people at the meet, have some fun....... and good luck