PDA

View Full Version : Rehab work. What do you guys do?

Travis Bell
04-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Lately (last few months) I've found myself doing a lot of recovery work.

I suppose you could call them workouts, but they really usually only last about 15-20min.

Mine are pretty quick paced, usually focusing on some muscles that are sore or injured.

So what do you guys do for recovery work?

MarcusWild
04-08-2010, 11:23 PM
My two biggest and foam rolling and ice.

fixationdarknes
04-09-2010, 12:12 AM
In the past I had just done a lighter version of the same lifts I did previously at the gym the day before. I never knew any special or advanced techniques to aid other than stretching haha.

What specifically do you do Travis?

vdizenzo
04-09-2010, 05:46 AM
I have found since I am eating much cleaner and my bodyweight has gone down I have needed less recovery work. I guess you could consider the treadmill recovery work. I've been on that thing half an hour a day, six days a week.

Travis Bell
04-09-2010, 07:29 AM
In the past I had just done a lighter version of the same lifts I did previously at the gym the day before. I never knew any special or advanced techniques to aid other than stretching haha.

What specifically do you do Travis?

I do lots of high rep, short rest period stuff.

Lots of dumbbell bench stuff, lots of tricep pushdown and extension stuff, sometimes some upper back sets

Really, anything to get the blood moving. Seems to help in a big way. It just takes consistency.

Interesting note Vin about losing the weight and needing less recovery work! I would have guessed the opposite, but I wonder if it's just that you're getting more of the nutrients you need on a regular basis that is helping you a lot.

vdizenzo
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I do lots of high rep, short rest period stuff.

Lots of dumbbell bench stuff, lots of tricep pushdown and extension stuff, sometimes some upper back sets

Really, anything to get the blood moving. Seems to help in a big way. It just takes consistency.

Interesting note Vin about losing the weight and needing less recovery work! I would have guessed the opposite, but I wonder if it's just that you're getting more of the nutrients you need on a regular basis that is helping you a lot.

In a very weird way, I think my body is becoming more efficient.

Lones Green
04-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Foam rolling, stretching, icing, and contrast showers are pretty regular for me.

As of late, I've been handling some more respectable weights, particularly on my squat, and I've really had to keep careful to let me shoulders recover.

So I think training smart is a big part of it as well

martin
04-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah I know I should do alot more stuff for my shoulders, I get bicep tendon problems from squatting.

Things like YTWL's and shoulder dislocations have got me through some nasty pain in the past.

ScottYard
04-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I agree with vinny, The more weight I loose the better I feel between workouts.

I love indian clubs. They have really helped my shoulder recover from a bicep tendon tear. I also like recovery workouts as fixactiondarknes said

The day after bench day I would do the bar for a 100 reps o the bench, then 100 reps on the pull down, and then 100 reps on the pushdown. All with next to no weight. Really helped back in the day when I was a 300 lb slob trying up my equipped bench numbers into the 800's

Travis Bell
04-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah I think using light weight is the key.

That way you can do sets that are long enough to create a small pump that floods the area with blood to help rehab the muscle.

One of the other things I've been doing is incorporating a high rep set at the end of all my lat and upper back work. I noticed I kept getting sore from my back work, but if I did a high rep set (20+ reps) at the end of each movement, it seemed to really cut down on the DOMs the day after.

100 reps extensions with ankle weights and pushdowns with monster mini bands also really really help my elbows feel better.

robchris
04-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Ice, foam roller, heat pads, always warm-up w/ icy hot for at least 20-mins. ( Bike or treadmill)

All these have really helped w/ DOMS and recovery for me... As far as exercises, face-pulls & H-rolls for shoulders, Reverse hypers & core work for lower back.
High rep stuff is great as well, esp. for elbows/ shoulders such as band pull-aparts & mini-band push-downs.
RC

muscle_g
04-10-2010, 07:06 AM
I never do "extra workouts" but these seem to really help with my recovery
Foam Rolling
Stretching
Heating Pad
Massage
Ice
Chiropractor