PDA

View Full Version : Pic request: Homemade power racks

Cmanuel
04-09-2010, 09:01 AM
So i'm moving into a house in June, and in addition to building a ton of DIY strongman equipment, i'm thinking about having a power rack welded for me. I'm freaking tired of commercial gym life. I really like the EFS racks but I dont want to pay ~1,000 for one (i'm a poor grad student).

So if anyone has any plans drawn up, or pictures of homemade power racks, then lets see them!

Learning2Lift
04-09-2010, 09:08 AM
check out Texas Strength Systems. I believe their racks start at $595. It would also be a good model to go off if you still want to build it yourself.

Travis Bell
04-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Steel prices are way up right now. By the time you pay a welder for the steel, welding and drilling the holes, you're most likely not going to save hardly anything

Cmanuel
04-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the help man, i will check that out.

Steel prices are way up right now. By the time you pay a welder for the steel, welding and drilling the holes, you're most likely not going to save hardly anything

Crap, didnt even think about that. I contacted one of the NAS promoters for CO and she is going to put me in contact with about 2-3 local welders who have experience with this stuff, so they should have a good idea of how much it will cost.

Another route is craigslist i suppose, or contacting gyms in the area.

Lones Green
04-09-2010, 10:38 AM
The guy that owns my gym welded his own, he actually just re painted it. I'll take my camera this week and take some pics. It works well, but he's also a really good welder.

Paul Key had 900-1000 sitting in the racks doing reverse band work, and rack pulls are done in it all the time. Not to mention I use the pin stuck through the holes to pull my fat arse into my suit a lot

TomY
04-09-2010, 11:29 AM
http://www.joeskopec.com/scaffold.html
I have built something similar to this. It's easily modified. I've had over 800-900lbs on the middle supports just for fun to see how much it could hold.

kzk464s
04-09-2010, 11:38 AM
ill get a pic of our rack up sometime soon if i can. its huge, 4" channel steel, mono swing attachment (non-adjustable). all for about 400 bucks. This was about 1 year and a half ago i think.

Cmanuel
04-09-2010, 01:58 PM
thanks guys, really appreciate it

StLRPh
04-09-2010, 02:29 PM
I'd email Scott over at http://snpequipment.com/

I have his bench and its great. Kosh just ordered a custom rack as well and got a pretty good deal.

SoCoBarbell
04-10-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm in Colorado Springs. We're in the prosses of building a couple monolifts right now. We're going to build some benches and squat racks. E-mail me and let me know what you're looking for. We can probably get you an Elite style rack for about $500-600. I have an Elite rack. The 1 inch hole spacing is awsome. E-mail me at mike@socobarbell.com

Cmanuel
04-11-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm in Colorado Springs. We're in the prosses of building a couple monolifts right now. We're going to build some benches and squat racks. E-mail me and let me know what you're looking for. We can probably get you an Elite style rack for about $500-600. I have an Elite rack. The 1 inch hole spacing is awsome. E-mail me at mike@socobarbell.com

E-mailed. Thanks!

C-Sobrino
04-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Cmanuel,

This is a pdf of a plan to build a homemade rack designed by Mark Rippetoe:

http://startingstrength.com/files/powerrack_plan_rippetoe.pdf

Also, I would check out the new R-3 Power Rack sold by Rogue Fitness and Westside Barbell. It looks like a mighty good deal.

Drew92
04-16-2010, 03:40 PM
I just found this thread. I have a homemade rack if you still want pictures.

Tom Mutaffis
04-17-2010, 03:27 PM
So i'm moving into a house in June, and in addition to building a ton of DIY strongman equipment, i'm thinking about having a power rack welded for me. I'm freaking tired of commercial gym life. I really like the EFS racks but I dont want to pay ~1,000 for one (i'm a poor grad student).

So if anyone has any plans drawn up, or pictures of homemade power racks, then lets see them!

I would just keep an eye on Craigslist and Play-It-Again Sports. A lot of friends of mine have picked up racks for around $100-200, which is much less than the cost of materials.

If you are looking for a good home gym rack I would recommend the BodySolid power rack. You can pick one up for $400 new and they are well-built. I own one and the strongman group that I trained with in Florida had one. The rack held 700+ lbs squats and bench presses, 900+ lbs rack pulls, and 420 lbs stone loading. It also has a chinup bar and you can get a cable attachment for it if you wanted to add one.

Hope this helps.

SELK
04-17-2010, 07:53 PM
I also suggest looking for a used rack. I picked up my rack for $200, its the bodysolid one tom mentioned. its alright, ive used it up to 855lbs and would trust the rack itself with 1000.