PDA

View Full Version : Greek Yogurt anyone?

Genacide
04-09-2010, 11:03 AM
I recently starting eating Greek Yogurt occasionally. I have a yogurt a day and though the Greek stuff may be worth a try given they advertise 2x the protein. The yoplait I just had contained 12g of protein. Anyone else eating this stuff? Any drawbacks from regular yogurt except for the price?

Mercuryblade
04-09-2010, 11:15 AM
I recently starting eating Greek Yogurt occasionally. I have a yogurt a day and though the Greek stuff may be worth a try given they advertise 2x the protein. The yoplait I just had contained 12g of protein. Anyone else eating this stuff? Any drawbacks from regular yogurt except for the price?

Does the protein content offset the price?

I've avoided it just because it's so much more damn expensive.

Genacide
04-09-2010, 02:42 PM
It costs 3x more than what I usually buy (Kroger brand), but when it's on manager special it's about .20 more, which at that point is worth it to me.

Skalami
04-10-2010, 01:54 PM
i love Chobani brand greek yogurt i use it on damn near everything. Its great for cutting mayo or a creamy salad dressing to lower the calorie count and get more protein. If i make a tuna sandwich i use a tbsp or two of low fat mayo and a 2 tbsp of chobani. I use it in protein shakes, you can put a half serving in it tastes great and practically has the same calorie/protein ratio of a protein powder. Or just take it plain and mix in a bunch of fruit.

But yeah it is kinda expensive, they just had a sale at my grocery store on it... i think $4 for a 4 serving tub...each serving 140cals 22gram protein for plain and 170cals for vanilla

Tsuki No Neko
04-11-2010, 12:17 PM
I freaking love Greek Yogurt. I get the Fage stuff, which has an awesome 20 grams of protein per serving. It is really expensive, but I have a hard time going back to the other stuff now that I've tried it.

Like Skalami said, you can use this stuff for just about everything. My favourite thing to do with it though is so make a super low carb/high protein dessert with it. 1 cup greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon low sugar/pure fruit preserves, and one packet of stevia to taste. Mix in a blender or in a spoon. Tastiest yogurt I've ever had. :D

Skalami
04-12-2010, 07:01 AM
what kinda protein is in Greek Yogurt? Is it whey or casein?

FilthyMcNasty
04-12-2010, 07:44 AM
what kinda protein is in Greek Yogurt? Is it whey or casein?
Casein. It's still dairy, just a different end product.

Skalami
04-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Casein. It's still dairy, just a different end product.

love the avatar, im on a Gorillaz kick for the past few weeks. Did you see the video for Stylo?

Genacide
04-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Just had a vanilla Yoplait greek and it wasn't good at all. Surprisingly it had 2g of protein more than the blueberry.

ebomb5522
04-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Love fat free greek yogurt. I pretty much eat this recipe everyday: 1 cup fat free fage or chopani greek yogurt + 2 tbsp peanut butter + 1 scoop protein, tastes amazing.

Tsuki No Neko
04-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Love fat free greek yogurt. I pretty much eat this recipe everyday: 1 cup fat free fage or chopani greek yogurt + 2 tbsp peanut butter + 1 scoop protein, tastes amazing.

PB is the trick? I tried my Greek with protein once and it tasted kind of nasty. I revived it with some preserves but it was still quite odd. I'll have to try your recipe. :)

Skalami
04-12-2010, 05:21 PM
i read something where you need to eat yogurt everyday for a few weeks to get the initial benefits of the bacteria.... i guess the bacteria get flushed out quickly so you need to eat yogurt daily to get whatever benefit the bacteria provides in the stomach or colon.

Anyways i would take plain or vanilla yogurt and mix in a little sugar free jello..i like pistachio the best...maybe crunch up some nuts the yogurt really gives it a nice rich texture compared with milk.

ebomb5522
04-12-2010, 06:22 PM
PB is the trick? I tried my Greek with protein once and it tasted kind of nasty. I revived it with some preserves but it was still quite odd. I'll have to try your recipe. :)

Ya, the peanut butter really makes it taste great. For flavor, you could also try putting in fat free/sugar free jello mix, cinnamon, splenda, cocoa powder (dark chocolate preferably), etc... The list can go on and on. Experiment with it to see what tastes the best to you!

soclydeza
04-12-2010, 09:28 PM
i used to buy it a lot, until i realized i was spending like $15 for 6 containers of it. if it wasnt so damn expensive i would eat it all the time