PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wear a gumshield?

martin
04-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Seriosuly, has anyone had problems with their teeth from lifting?

Just been to dentist today and had x-rays done - I have a few teeth that are cracked or broken from what the dentist called 'impact'.

My training partner said I often look like I'm grinding my teeth together when benching.

I don't get punched or bash my head against walls so I'm wondering if lifting is causing it?

M

Lones Green
04-09-2010, 01:42 PM
If you're cracking teeth lifting, I think a mouthpiece is a great idea

Either that or stop grinding your teeth, haha

Mercuryblade
04-09-2010, 01:57 PM

Just been to dentist today and had x-rays done - I have a few teeth that are cracked or broken from what the dentist called 'impact'.

My training partner said I often look like I'm grinding my teeth together when benching.

I don't get punched or bash my head against walls so I'm wondering if lifting is causing it?

M

I have a problem with breaking blood vessels in my eyes but never any teeth.
Jesus man.

Travis Bell
04-09-2010, 04:22 PM
When I used to compete in armwrestling, I would grind my teeth constantly. A mouth piece was the cure.

Also, make sure you're not grinding your teeth while you sleep. Sometimes people do that unknowingly and it can cause the cracked teeth.

trumayhem
04-09-2010, 05:44 PM
When I used to compete in armwrestling, I would grind my teeth constantly. A mouth piece was the cure.

Also, make sure you're not grinding your teeth while you sleep. Sometimes people do that unknowingly and it can cause the cracked teeth.

I been thinking about wearing a mouth piece at times just in case. I'm afraid clinching my teeth might start moving my teeth. Though the only thing I notice is I must blow blood vessels in my nose, sometimes I have bloody snot...

Ryano
04-10-2010, 06:09 AM
I always where a mouthpiece when I put my shirt on. When I take the weight, I flex everything, including my jaw. My dentist recommended that I wear it. They're cheap and may save you some problems.

44pirate
04-10-2010, 08:41 AM
I wear one, They say it makes you stronger.
http://www.columbusfamilydentalcenter.com/under_armour.htm

martin
04-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys for all the help. I think I'll get myself one just in case and see how it goes, certainly for bench pressing in.

I'll have to get the girlfriend to see if I'm grinding in my sleep though, if she stops snoring long enough to wake up!

M

johnnyo_99
04-10-2010, 11:08 AM
i've chipped 3 teeth. all at powerlifting meets while squatting, rofl. I now use a mouthpiece most even when training.

MadChef
04-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I cracked a tooth while pulling a truck before, and now I wear a mouthguard.

MadChef
04-10-2010, 12:21 PM

Oh, and funny story about that. When I was younger I was spotting my buddy on incline dumbell presses when his shoulder dislocated under the weight and the dumbbell smacked him right in the teeth. Knocked out three teeth. Moral of the story, I'm not a very good spotter! :D

SEOINAGE
04-10-2010, 08:46 PM

what a load of ****.

Mark!
04-11-2010, 02:05 AM

There are a couple of sites that say it helps with endurance, airway and such. No idea about strength. And for $300-400? I'll pass.

I've been thinking about getting a mouth piece, I've noticed a few differences in my teeth like meat getting stuck places it used to not get stuck in after every meal. I think they may be shifting some, need to get it checked out I guess.

Fuzzy
04-11-2010, 05:41 AM
I find it bizarre that you guys put so much effort through the jaw. I make some funy expressions when I lift, but clenching the jaw seems like a waste of energy.

Best of luck, hope the piece fixes the problems.

44pirate
04-11-2010, 10:15 AM
what a load of ****.
It's seems to benefit me. I clench pretty hard. I've forgotten to put it in on some of my max efforts and not do so well. With it I do better. To each his own. I paid 180 for my mouthguard, had my dentist mold it for me.