PDA

View Full Version : Squat form help

Phenom
04-09-2010, 02:49 PM
My brother seems to be having a problem with his squats; he always emphasizes going all the way down, but what happens is as he approaches the very bottom of the lift, his back (seems to be his lower back) rounds pretty bad. However once he starts coming back up it straightens out. It seems to me like its caused by his effort to get his ass as low as possible, and what happens is he rounds his lower back and dips his ass straight down, kind of towards his heels, rather than sticking his ass out.

My guess is that it's a combination of this knees being too far forward (caused by him not sticking his ass out) and him not keeping his lower back tight the entire time.

Any other advice on what could be the problem? I'll take a vid and upload it if I need to. But in the meantime hopefully this description is enough to get some help. Thanks

Phenom
04-09-2010, 03:00 PM
I just found Sensei's video in the sticky on this topic. I'm sure his advice will help a lot, so I guess this thread question has been answered unless anyone would still like to share some of their own advice or tips.

AdamBAG
04-09-2010, 03:15 PM
He needs to force his knees out in order to hit depth, not round his lower back.

Notorious
04-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Knees out and chest up are 2 important cues for this. But if he is low bar squatting, it's going to take some amazing flexibility to go ALL the way down (ATG) and not round. IMO, he should just focus on going below parallel but not ATG (ignore this if he's squatting high bar), along with the above cues.

ajweins
04-09-2010, 05:34 PM
I would recommend hip flexor stretching.

ehopkins932
04-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Spreading hips and keeping his chest up and upper back tight are key. If he is dead set on going atg and does have the build/flexibility, buy olympic lifting shoes with the heel.

Runty
04-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Hip flexor and hamstring flexibility is paramount for full depth. When people have tight hamstrings they pull the hips under at the bottom of deep squats. I had problems with this for a long time until I really started stretching consistently. If he's tall make sure he's rotating his hips out wide enough as well. I used to try and squat with my legs pointing in front of me too much, and the ligaments inside your hip crease can actually block your hips from being able to rotate forward properly.