PDA

View Full Version : question on suit strap length

JK1
04-11-2010, 10:15 AM
I have kind of a silly question on suit strap length i'm hoping you guys can help me out with. I switched from a TRX to a Super Centurion this year. When I first put the centurion on, I hit a PR Squat off a parallel box, but I came up infront of the monolift J-Hooks. i thought it was just me in a new suit. I've had that problem now other times, but I was squatting with a cambered bar, so I blamed the bar. On Friday, I worked heavy reverse band squats with a straight bar and had some major problems.... feeling as if I coudn't get my air as the weight got heavier and pitching forward. At the end, I got frustrated and started just taking the weight out of the rack to see if it was my setup that was causing a problem. I found out I could set up and was ALOT more comfortable breathing with straps down than with them up. SO... I"m thinking the feelings of pitching forward combined with the inability to get air, my suit straps are just way too tight. I was also bruised across the shoulders from the strap seams.

As a rule of thumb with the Inzer gear I've used in the past, I should be able to get 1-2 of my fingers (they are fat fingers) under the suit straps without struggling when I'm standing upright without weight on my shoulders. Do you know do I need to use a similar guideline with this Super Centurion? If not, what are you guys using as guidelines?

Thanks

Ben F Burgess
04-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Yes the super cent will definately try to pitch you forward, but if you loosen the straps you wont get anything like as much carryover from it. It stands to reason that you can get more air and are more comfotable with the straps down.

Its just part of the groove IMO - there is a LOT of support there and to make the most of it you have to stay super tight and fight to stay in that groove.

2 fingers under the strap sounds WAAAAY to loose for a single ply suit to me.

While you are trying to get to grips with the suit i would bin the special bars and boxes and just do full rom sqs with the straps up for say 80-85% singles.

JK1
04-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Yes the super cent will definately try to pitch you forward, but if you loosen the straps you wont get anything like as much carryover from it. It stands to reason that you can get more air and are more comfotable with the straps down.

Its just part of the groove IMO - there is a LOT of support there and to make the most of it you have to stay super tight and fight to stay in that groove.

2 fingers under the strap sounds WAAAAY to loose for a single ply suit to me.

While you are trying to get to grips with the suit i would bin the special bars and boxes and just do full rom sqs with the straps up for say 80-85% singles.

I rarely squat without a box. My box squat and my regular squat are pretty much the same, they always have been. If anything, I won't pause on the box, I just graze it and use it for depth assessment.

As far as the specialty bars, what I've aways done in the past is actually squat with a straight bar first in a suit to get a feel for it--usually going to a high box or a foam pad, then I use a cambered bar because its going to throw me forward. i want to be able to control the suit if I get slightly out of the groove, so I have to be comfortable with getting tossed around a bit. Then go back and overload things with the straight bar. i'm far enough out from the meet, there is time to make adjustments without worries. I've also had meet goal weights on my shoulders, so I'm not worried about that.

What kind of guidelines are you using for strap tightness then?

Lones Green
04-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Get velcro buddy

Schameson
04-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I know other people who have this problem as well. Personally, if the straps get tight enough that I can't get them on myself its a problem. I don't know about getting a finger or two underneath, though, never tried. I'm able to walk out squats comfortably with straps that are tight enough to bruise my shoulders.

It was a long time before I was comfortable with the straps. There's definitely a learning curve on them.

Ben F Burgess
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
What kind of guidelines are you using for strap tightness then?

Well if you are looking to be comfortable in it then sure wear them loose.

If you are looking for maximum carryover single ply **** has to be screaming tight and theres no WAY you should be able to get straps up on your own, it should be damn hard even for someone else to do it. Learning to use it takes practice.

JK1
04-14-2010, 08:10 AM
thanks for the help everyone. I basically took the suit, put a bar though the straps in my power rack, and then hung another bar with 225 lbs from the bottom of the straps. I let that sit for about 6 hours. This actually stretched them about 3 inches, but they rebounded about an inch when I removed the weight. I could get one strap of the suit on by myself after doing this, but i did need some help pulling up the other strap and getting it set. I tried the suit out last night squatinng to my "low" box---basically a box as low as I can squat RAW with my competition stance.

660 x 2 (no knee wraps, suit straps up) came up fast, but I was just a little high. I think I could have sunk this for a single, but the double taxed my air quite a bit.

750 x 1 with loose knee wraps, straps up was good, down to box, back up fast.

800 x1 (knee wraps tighter, straps up) I sat on the box for a 2 count and came up with fast enough with plenty of power.

I think I still need to work on my breathing, but I'm happy with how things went last night.