PDA

View Full Version : Questions pertaining to Westside Barbell routine

Jared R
04-12-2010, 12:46 AM
The long post I had typed up was lost due to being logged out. I'll get to the point.

I am currently following the Westside Barbell routine as outlined in the Powerlifting Westside Style article. My questions are: How many ME/DE workouts should take place each week? Is 2 of each normal? My impression is that ME exercises should be in waves of 3 weeks each: Is this correct? Should assistance exercises be interchanged and, if so, how often?

Furthermore, if you think I may be better off following a different routine, I will gladly elaborate on my weight/strength/goals.

Lones Green
04-12-2010, 03:17 AM
Yes, you have 2 lower body days and 2 upper body days. 1 max effort day and 1 dynamic effort day for both muscle groups.

You can switch you assistance movements out every 2 weeks or so. For the most part thats what I do, but I do have some staples I do every week, like GHR's and reverse hypers, etc

douglasoh5
04-12-2010, 09:55 AM
3 week waves? are you wanting to do the same ME movement for your max effort work then switch? most the time they just pick a random variation. so for lower body one week they may do a rack pull...week 2 a good morning...week 3 low box squat usually with a special bar(ssb or camber bar). was talking with matt smith friday. back in the day he said out of 10 me days 6 would be a good morning, 3 a low box squat and 1 a deadlift variation. its not like that anymore. more like 5-6 deads 2 squat and 2 goodmorning. and benching im not 100% what they do. t bell can help there

StLRPh
04-12-2010, 10:08 AM
I really enjoyed these 2 articles about WSBB. They are geared towards raw work but still very good, IMO.

Jared R
04-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks for clarifying that, Lones. I also focus on my weaknesses; one of them being GHR.

"3 week waves? are you wanting to do the same ME movement for your max effort work then switch?"

^I ask because the article suggests 3 week waves. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was pretty clear when it said "With this method you must rotate the ME exercise at most every 3rd week. The reason for this is because you will not get stronger after 3 weeks at or above 90% of your max." I believe that you're right, but any idea why the article says that?

Those articles were a good read as usual, thanks.

AdamBAG
04-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for clarifying that, Lones. I also focus on my weaknesses; one of them being GHR.

"3 week waves? are you wanting to do the same ME movement for your max effort work then switch?"

^I ask because the article suggests 3 week waves. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was pretty clear when it said "With this method you must rotate the ME exercise at most every 3rd week. The reason for this is because you will not get stronger after 3 weeks at or above 90% of your max." I believe that you're right, but any idea why the article says that?

Those articles were a good read as usual, thanks.

It means that you should use the same max effort exercise for three weeks "at most." You should not use it longer than 3 weeks. In most cases the max effort exercise will rotate every week. Take the quote you are referencing and replace "at most" with "at least" and you get what is intended.

Jared R
04-12-2010, 12:29 PM
That does make sense. Thanks, that answers all of my questions.

douglasoh5
04-12-2010, 09:06 PM
change the ME exercise every week. find bout 6-8 your like and just rotate through them