PDA

View Full Version : Broken Ankle.

IronDiggy
04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
It's not broken now. It's a 4 -year old injury that bet I wouldn't have had I been lifting then :P

However I was young dumb and you guess it, drunk, broke my ankle,. Ended up getting surgery and a couple plates and screws later viola! I can walk again. However fast forward to now. I've been training a year without any real issues till now I was Squatting Saturday, fairly heavy I might add as we are working back into gear for a meet in June. and Sunday something just started hurting in my foot and on Monday it was hurting till mid day where(at my desk no less) I kept trying to work it and loosen it up it finally let off and went from a sharp "leg gives out when you take a step with it" pain to a slightly dull pain and I could walk fine. Last night I kept switching between a n icepack and a heater pad to try and get the pain down which this morning seems to have worked fairly well my ankle looks to be almost back to its normal size.

Just wondering who else has had pretty significant joint injuries and what they've done to keep the joint strong and mobile?

PS - I have a ankle brace I use from time to time when it's sore or a little touchy but I try to refrain from using it too much as I can't exactly wear it in meets.

JK1
04-13-2010, 11:44 AM
It's not broken now. It's a 4 -year old injury that bet I wouldn't have had I been lifting then :P

However I was young dumb and you guess it, drunk, broke my ankle,. Ended up getting surgery and a couple plates and screws later viola! I can walk again. However fast forward to now. I've been training a year without any real issues till now I was Squatting Saturday, fairly heavy I might add as we are working back into gear for a meet in June. and Sunday something just started hurting in my foot and on Monday it was hurting till mid day where(at my desk no less) I kept trying to work it and loosen it up it finally let off and went from a sharp "leg gives out when you take a step with it" pain to a slightly dull pain and I could walk fine. Last night I kept switching between a n icepack and a heater pad to try and get the pain down which this morning seems to have worked fairly well my ankle looks to be almost back to its normal size.

Just wondering who else has had pretty significant joint injuries and what they've done to keep the joint strong and mobile?

PS - I have a ankle brace I use from time to time when it's sore or a little touchy but I try to refrain from using it too much as I can't exactly wear it in meets.

Do you still have plates and screws in the ankle or have those been removed? If they haven't and the pain persists, get into a doctor and get the leg x-rayed. Over time orthopedic devices can loosen up. That could be a source of your pain.

I broke my left ankle almost 5 years ago---I was moving and walking across a reststop parking lot, I stepped into a hole. I felt the "pop", but because I was on the road, I did the only thing I could do, I wrapped my ankle with a horse leg wrap and kept moving. I kept the joint supported, which is probably why I can walk without too much effort today, but I shouldn't have been stupid and should have gone to the emergency room immediately. Last year, about this time, I fell down some stairs carrying things to the gym and tore my left calf. The doctors and I have pretty much decided I tore the calf as a direct result of the ankle fracture.... I've got decreased ROM of the left ankle and its pretty much always swollen anymore. On X-rays i've got bone spurs and developing arthritis. I've also got a decreased ROM of the joint.

As far as powerlifting goes, you'll never see me walk a squat out in a meet again. I'm not risking f'ing that ankle up anymore than I already have. I'm fine in a monolift and will continue to squat in a monolift. I have to make a point to stretch my left calf and move my ankle through a full ROM every day or I can feel things seem to tighten up. I've got some weakness with internal rotation of the foot that is a result of the ankle injury and the calf injury. I don't run anymore, not that i've ever been a big runner. Ladders kill me, so I try to avoid them too.

As far as general principles for returning to function after a joint injury... my advice is try to get back to moving that joint through a full range of motion as fast as you possibly can. If you don't and things tighten up or you otherwise start to lose range of motion, its only going to get worse.

IronDiggy
04-13-2010, 12:44 PM
The pain is gone at this point although it is a little bit swollen still, and I do still have the screws and plates in. I try to stretch it often as well I try to work it often. But it was just that little pain. Now being that it didn't show up until Sunday afternoon so like a day and a half after squatting I'm thinking I might have irritated things after running around outside with the dog on Sunday.

On the topic of bone spur's I don't know how they develop but I had one for years and after breaking my ankle it went away.