PDA

View Full Version : Question about Westside Barbell?

t-bone92
04-14-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm going to start the westside barbell powerlifting routine soon and after all of my reading i'm still a little confused about the sets and reps. How many sets and reps per set on heavy bench and squat day and how many sets and reps per set on dynamic bench and squat day? Can anyone explain this stuff and give me the lay out please? Thank you.

Travis Bell
04-15-2010, 03:45 AM
Have you read any of the articles on the Westside website?

ME day, you work up to a single, 2 or 3 rep max

DE squat - 8-10 sets of 2 reps

DE Bench 8 sets of 3 reps

KarlMarx
04-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Just as long as we are onto this... How often do you see guys using the 1, 2, or 3 rep maxes Travis? Sometimes I push myself towards 3 for more reps to favor mass building and to make the load lighter (for instance on lower back max work). Generally though, I get greedy and want the biggest number possible and take a single. Anything more scientific to say on this?

Travis Bell
04-16-2010, 01:16 PM
I have most of my athletes use 2 and 3 rep maxes most of the time unless we are testing a new max

At the Westside, we'll usually include 3rm somewhere along the training cycle going up to a meet. This cycle we did 6rm for bench two weeks in a row. Worked out pretty well.

douglasoh5
04-16-2010, 02:48 PM
travis here lately they have beening like 5-6 doubles then 1 heavier set on de squats. I think aj said their using higher percentages rite now. but the 8 doubles is the norm.