PDA

View Full Version : Bench grip

Mugen46
04-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Should I grip the bar so that when the bar hits my chest my forearms are pointing straight up?
I'm talking raw benching btw

This just seems like the best way for force to be transferred

Travis Bell
04-15-2010, 05:52 PM
They don't have to be straight up.

the best grip is the widest one (within the competition limits) that you can take, but still be powerful. A lot of raw benchers can't go index on the rings

When I compete raw I use a middle or ring finger on the ring.

The wider the grip, the lower your range of motion will be

vdizenzo
04-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Index on ring. All other grips are uncivilized.

robchris
04-16-2010, 08:39 PM
How tall are you bro? I've heard if your 5'10" or shorter pinkie or ring finger on the rings. A lot depends on your arm length and comfort... I'm around 6' 2" and used to bench w/ my index finger on the rings.

Since a pec injury I had to bring my grip in some. I now bench w/ pinkie or ring finger on the rings when going raw. Try different grips & see what works best.

Travis Bell
04-17-2010, 07:50 AM
How tall are you bro? I've heard if your 5'10" or shorter pinkie or ring finger on the rings. A lot depends on your arm length and comfort... I'm around 6' 2" and used to bench w/ my index finger on the rings.

Since a pec injury I had to bring my grip in some. I now bench w/ pinkie or ring finger on the rings when going raw. Try different grips & see what works best.

Vincent and I are both about 5'9" and use index on the rings

ScottYard
04-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Im 5'9 as well and I like to go ring finger.

douglasoh5
04-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Im no big raw bencher but use pinky or ring finger for raw stuff. All shirt work is index. Im 6'1"

AdrianLarsen
04-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Hey man I think you just need to play around with what feels like you have the most strengh I usally go narrow only becuase it feels better for me. It would be great to go as wide as possible but you will will not get as much power if you go to wide. Just mess around until you find the right placement

FFHill
04-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Fixed

Vincent and I have a shoulder width of about 5'9" and use index on the rings

Mugen46
04-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Fixed

LOL . Yea i've been playing around with it and I like ring finger on rings as well. just wanted some opnions on it. Thanks guys.

WhateverItTakes
04-17-2010, 01:40 PM
I take a very close grip(thumbs length from the inside/begining of knurling). I feel like I can get much tighter, get some lat use, and use more triceps then I can when I go any wider. I am sure this is severly holding back my bench b/c I am using a lot of triceps. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I would move my hands out while still staying tight, using lats, and engaging triceps? Or should I just stay where I am at? Thanks!

Travis Bell
04-17-2010, 02:03 PM
It's really just a matter of improving your technique. You just have to force yourself to stay tight with the wider grips.

If you are seriously stronger at thumbs from the smooth than you are at either pinkies on the ring or index on the rings, you probably have a technique failure somewhere along the line when you go wider. At thumbs from the smooth, you're increasing your range of motion probably a good 3"

I should clarify on my personal grip, I train often thumbs from the smooth or pinkies on the ring but when I compete both raw and shirted I use index on the smooth.

achilles89
04-18-2010, 03:22 AM
I would think for comp purposes the following to be true across all feds :-

The legal maximum width a lifter may take on the bar is defined as 81 centimetres between the index fingers. This position is indicated on most barbells by rings.

I don't know how people can claim to be stronger with a close-grip style width. Not only does the bar have to travel further (might be 20-23 inches depending on your arch), but you are recruiting less muscles. Then again if you have always used a narrow grip because no one told you different, then you may not have had the chance to get your technique and stabilization correct.

NickAus
04-19-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm 5'10 and bench my best numbers raw with middle finger on ring.

sayagain
04-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I always benched with my ring finger on the rings until I threw in illegal wide grip presses on my ME day and realized that I was actually stronger with a wider grip. It felt a little awkward at first, but with time it becomes natural. I feel like I get better utilization of my lats with a wider grip as well.

Brian C
04-19-2010, 05:22 PM
~5'8'' and use index on ring for both

SEOINAGE
04-19-2010, 08:49 PM
5'8' and also use index finger on rings. I do have pretty wide shoulders. I tried using a narrower grip as per some others advice, did it for a while but my numbers never got to even close to what i was doing with them wider, and it felt so much better with a wide grip, so sticking with it as wide as I can always.

Phenom
04-19-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm between 6'1 and 6'2 and put my pinky on the rings. Seems like I have one of the narrower grips around here. I used to bench with my middle finger on the rings, then gradually moved it to my ring finger then my pinky over the course of a couple months because it feels more comfortable. Larger ROM is fine with me.

MadChef
04-20-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm between 6'1 and 6'2 and put my pinky on the rings. Seems like I have one of the narrower grips around here. I used to bench with my middle finger on the rings, then gradually moved it to my ring finger then my pinky over the course of a couple months because it feels more comfortable. Larger ROM is fine with me.

I'm 6'2 and I use index on the smooth ring. I used to have my ring finger on the ring until I realized I could push more weight with a wider grip.

IronDiggy
04-20-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm 5'10" with shorter than average arms and when lifting raw(even testing my 1rm raw) I lift with my pinky's on the ring usually.

kzk464s
04-21-2010, 11:23 AM
5'9'' with pinkie on the ring when raw, middle on when shirted. Seems a lot more awkward with pointer on the rings when I am shirted, but for some reason middle finger feels fine. Amazing what that little distance will do. I don't have a whole lot of work with it yet, so there is room to grow.

robchris
04-21-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm 5'10" with shorter than average arms and when lifting raw(even testing my 1rm raw) I lift with my pinky's on the ring usually.

I wish I was a T-Rex too... (just kidding bro)

At least long arms help on the Deadlift...:)

robchris
04-21-2010, 06:52 PM

I wish I was a T-Rex too... (just kidding bro)

At least long arms help on the Deadlift...:)

Pete22
04-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Thumbs from smooth for me. I know i'm probably sacrificing some lbs, but I feel like this is the safest grip for my pecs and shoulders. Benching wider in the past has just led to injuries for me.