PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend a nutritionist?

NY Rob
04-16-2010, 01:59 AM
My diet is in major need of improvement and I was considering hiring a nutritionist or a dietician. I live in NYC so was wondering if anyone could recommend one to me and let me know how the process works? What should I expect to pay and what type of services would they typically offer? Would you advise a nutritionist or dietician? Do the nutritionist need to be local to me or is everything done on the phone/ online and could be anywhere? Any info is greatly appreciated as I know almost nothing about this process but know that my diet needs a major overhaul. Thanks in advance guys.

malkore
04-16-2010, 12:22 PM
keep this in mind: any one can call themselves a 'nutritionist'. its not a 'degree' or anything like that.

a dietician has a 4 year degree, and has continuing education credits they have to keep up on.

I'd find someone who is a registered dietician to help you (who might happen to be a nutritionist too)

ehubbard
04-16-2010, 12:39 PM
What is prompting you to hire a nutritionist. Physique, specific health issue (cholesterol, pre-diabetes, etc.), performance issues, etc.

StLRPh
04-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Shelby Starnes is on this site occassionally and has done a lot impressive things with a broad range of clients. Do a google search for him.

NY Rob
04-16-2010, 01:43 PM
What is prompting you to hire a nutritionist. Physique, specific health issue (cholesterol, pre-diabetes, etc.), performance issues, etc.

Physique. I am around 21% bf and would like to reduce get down to around 15%

ehubbard
04-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Shelby Starnes at Troponin Nutrition

MadChef
04-17-2010, 11:17 PM
a dietician has a 4 year degree, and has continuing education credits they have to keep up on.

I'd find someone who is a registered dietician to help you (who might happen to be a nutritionist too)

I know many dieticians who are so full of their own **** it drives me crazy. They all teach dieticians the same thing in school, and most of them just go on to regurgitate the same lines back to their patients. (Make sure you get your 1000 iu's of Vitamin D, take Fish Oil for your Omega-3s, Fiber, blah blah blah)... They spend too much time in school and not enough time with patients to really know what people need. Just my opinion.

Educate yourself for free.

JCD
04-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Physique. I am around 21% bf and would like to reduce get down to around 15%

Educate yourself for free.

right on. I'm sure we could help you out here. we know your goal is to drop weight, so that's fairly easy if we do it right.

It's not hard to overhaul a diet. Tell us what you've been doing/eating thus far I'm sure we can make suggestions on what might be more optimal.

Holto
04-19-2010, 11:12 AM
I know many dieticians who are so full of their own **** it drives me crazy.

I agree with this 100%.

I find that many of them are the nutritional equivalent of Personal Trainers. They perpetuate many of the worsts myths. It seems the Universities for the most part are about 10 to 15 years behind. The people I come into contact with that know their stuff WRT to nutrition are the biochem people.

Take that money and buy some books.

JCD
04-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Take that money and buy some books.
this.

Allen Cress
04-19-2010, 01:26 PM
My diet is in major need of improvement and I was considering hiring a nutritionist or a dietician. I live in NYC so was wondering if anyone could recommend one to me and let me know how the process works? What should I expect to pay and what type of services would they typically offer? Would you advise a nutritionist or dietician? Do the nutritionist need to be local to me or is everything done on the phone/ online and could be anywhere? Any info is greatly appreciated as I know almost nothing about this process but know that my diet needs a major overhaul. Thanks in advance guys.

A nutritionist is not going to give you the diet you need to reach your goals, their level of knowledge is more just health based and even then the rcommdations most give are obsurd.

Your best bet is to have a diet customized for you and your goals and takling into account where you are currently at and what need to be done for your current needs state.

Myself and Shelby both offer this to individuals.

MadChef
04-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Allen Cress, you look like a beast in your avatar picture. You should try out for the part of Kratos in the new GOD OF WAR movie.

NY Rob
04-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. I have decided to purchase a 12 week package from Shelby. If he can get me where I want to be it will be money very well spent. I will keep you all updated on the process and hopefully the progress that we make together.