PDA

View Full Version : Whats the least amout of training you can get away with?

ScottYard
04-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Whats the least amout of training you can get away with?

Due to a couple reasons Im only training 2 days a week right now. A bench day followed by the prowler, and a squat and pull day followed by the prowler. I also do an additional 2-3 cardio days on top of that.

Im feeling pretty good right and Im only doing 1 exercise for each body part for assistance work on either two of those days.

Any one else doing this or soemthign similar with results?

tnathletics2b
04-16-2010, 08:50 AM
In season during college baseball, I lifted twice a week with full body workouts along with cardio in between and noticed no loss, but never really gained. Twice a week is maintenance for me- I really need 3 a week to see results like I want.

JK1
04-16-2010, 09:28 AM
When I was a resident, I there were many weeks where I only got to the gym 2 days a week. I still made strength gains. When I made it to the gym, I blasted myself.

I have a good friend who seems to go through spells where she only trains a specific lift every 2-3 weeks or so because of work and other things. She's been known to use meets as her "heavy" workouts doing 2 or 3 of them in succession over a months time. I have no idea how she does it, but she's still putting up good numbers (she's benched and deadlifted 400 in competition and should put up something close to 300 RAW in the bench this spring). In her case, I think she's probably just simply genetically strong and ridiculously tough.

In my opinion, she's going to reach a point where the stimuli for her body to get stronger is going to have to be there or else she's going to plateau. We just can't figure out where that point is. I'm also very concerned about limited training predisposing her for tendon and ligament injuries. Part of training isn't just the muscles, its training the other connective tissues.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong too. I don't know. I just know she probably trains the least of any veteran powerlifter I know and she's still strong as hell.

chris mason
04-16-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm only able to train 3x per week and still make good progress.

muscle_g
04-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Around December of last year I was reading through Ryan Celli's training log and saw that he only worked out 3 days a week. I was always training 4 days a week doing 2 upper and 2 lower sessions a week . By the end of the week I was always feeling very tired and sluggish feeling. So at the first of this year I started training 3 days a week on a weekly split the Ryan reccomended to me and have been making good progress with it.

NickAus
04-16-2010, 07:52 PM
I have progressed doing 2 a week (thats gym sessions) and doing abs at home .

The best thing for me is 3 gym sessions per week, I just feel better than when doing 4.

Yes you can progress off 2 days per week.

Guido
04-17-2010, 01:19 PM
I've progressed lifting 3 days a week as well as 4 days a week. I think I could still gain doing 2 really intense full body sessions a week but it probably wouldn't be optimal.

chris mason
04-17-2010, 02:07 PM
A little more expansion on the topic. If you think about the Westside template you have 2 ME days per week, one upper and one lower. The ME day is definitely the most important training day. In fact, per Louie, the advent of the DE day was for those who simply could not handle 2 ME sessions by body part per week (that would be most people). So, I would argue that if you perform a ME bench and squat day (with variations of the deadlift being used in the mix) and support it with accessory work afterwards, a 2 day per week training regimen could very well work. It may not be optimal, but I am sure you can progress nicely using it.

Brian Hopper
04-17-2010, 03:21 PM
I train 4x a week, and I have been doing that for a long time even when I wasn't powerlifting. I have thought about going to 3x a week, but my schedule allows me to train 4 so i'll probably just stick with it. I beleive Glenn Bagget either trains 2 or 3x a week and he is doing pretty good with his training.

Tom Mutaffis
04-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Interesting topic.

For the past 2-3 years I have only trained two days per week on a consistent basis, sometimes a bit less and sometimes a bit more. My gym training was just 1-2 days per week and my strongman event training was usually one day per week. This was not by choice but was because I have a demanding job, things to do outside of the gym, and could not recover from some of the intense workouts. Despite these factors I have still made consistent gains, so it can be done.

I am sure that all of us would like to be able to train 3-5 times per week, sleep 8-9 hours per night, and eat high protein meals all day... but sometimes that is not an option. Complexes are a great solution for someone who is looking to train 1-2 times per week and make gains. I wrote an article on them a while back and stand behind that 100% for anyone who is not able to train frequently.

vdizenzo
04-17-2010, 03:53 PM
There have been times where I have only trained twice a week. One upper and one lower. I was able to make stength gains. You just have to make sure you are getting the most out of those two workout.

Ryan Hale
04-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Excellent thread Scott.

The powerlifting team I work with lifts 2x a week. We have had very good results using this formula. Those 2 days a week we work hard and I think that is the key. Years ago when I trained with Dr. Dave Lawrence who was crazy strong,he only lifted once a week.Somtimes he would get 2x a week in,but most weeks was just a single day.
It is so hard to argue with results. If you could get the same results with 2 days a week vs 3 or 4 would you change? Each one us is different so what works for one won't work for the other.
If Tom and Vince have gotten results using 2x a week we know it can work for the best.

I have a question for you guys.Do those light days really do anything for you? some lifters do the heavy,moderate,light days a week. Are those light days more of a form check type deal,or more speed
type training?

Ryan Hale

robchris
04-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Interesting thread indeed... I gotta tell ya, I worked (2) jobs for years and I only had time for x2 sessions a week. Despite the limited recovery/ sleep I was still able to make gains even as a master40+

It comes down to how you train and how hard you're willing to work... I did basically what Chris stated earlier(1-ME lower, 1-ME upper) + accessory work.

To get everything done those sessions lasted 1.5 to 2.5 hr. each but thats what it took. I know some guys who train x3 per week but are in and out of the gym in 1-hr or less so its about the same amount of exercise, just cramed into 2-days.

- Ryan, The extra work I do now absolutely helps... I do the WSB template and they call it dynamic effort (DE) day. 55% of your raw max 9x3 upper 8x2 lower.

In a word "awesome" is an understatment! Speed work is the real deal bro... I'm glad I had some experienced guys to show me the way! (and esp. WBB forum)
RC

ScottYard
04-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Some really great posts here!

I am not sure as to how optimum it will be for me or not going 2 days a week. My workouts are going well but meet day will give me my answer. I will find out may 8.