PDA

View Full Version : Is it acceptable/efficient to bulk on a low-carb diet? Want to minimize fat gain.

fixationdarknes
04-18-2010, 02:21 AM
Well, after looking in the mirror lately and seeing just how puny I actually am, I've decided it's time to bulk.

But up until now I've been carb cycling (50g non-lifting, 100g lifting).

Stats are in sig by the way.

How would it be to up the calories and keep the carbs low? Would I gain weight? Would my bulk fail?

I'm just looking to avoid as much fat gain as possible with a reasonable bulking plan. I don't mind if I'm not gaining weight rapidly, so long as the weight gain is consistent and reasonable.

As far as training goes, I am lifting heavy 2 days a week, training bodyweight lifts (preparing for a time in the near future where I won't have access to the gym) 1 day a week, and sprinting 2 days a week.

Any input? Thanks.

Mark!
04-18-2010, 03:27 AM
I'm glad you're bulking!!!! I sent you a PM regarding some stuff I found.

JCD
04-18-2010, 04:11 PM
why a low carb bulk? do you have issues with carbs? do they make you tired and sleepy?

Mark!
04-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Low carb bulks are an effecient way to add some LBM for some people. It's completely do able to help keep body fat down.

fixationdarknes
04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Hm... well, thanks for the PM Mark. I think that definitely helped explain things to me.

JCD - I just really don't want to add much noticeable fat %, but I do want to gain muscle. I realize it'll take longer to gain the weight, but I'm fine with that as long as it is a reasonable and do-able plan.

I'm planning right now for:

Mon: heavy lifting (high carb, 300-350+ g)
Tues: sprints (low carb, 150g)
Wed: **bodyweight strength training (med carb, 225g)
Thurs: rest (low carb, 150g)
Fri: heavy lifting (high carb, 300-350+ g)
Sat: sprints (low carb, 150g)
Sun: rest (low carb, 150g)

**I'm doing this mainly because toward the end of this year, for two years I'm going to be gymless, so I'm preparing/learning now how best to continue to train innovatively.

I currently weigh 154 lbs.

Would something like that work you think? I'm just goin' for a steady but somewhat slow bulk here.

Allen Cress
04-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Fat based diets work fine to bulk, its about total calories. That being said If you are on a fat based diet then you still need a carb based day placed in there 1-2 times a week dpending on how your body adapts. Glycogen still needs to be repelnished and you don't want to go into ketosis.

ThomasG
04-19-2010, 07:48 AM
You're not sprinting the day after you squat are you? Also check out the article on carb cycling here, lots of good info.

fixationdarknes
04-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Fat based diets work fine to bulk, its about total calories. That being said If you are on a fat based diet then you still need a carb based day placed in there 1-2 times a week dpending on how your body adapts. Glycogen still needs to be repelnished and you don't want to go into ketosis.

Hm, alright. Thank you for the reply.

You're not sprinting the day after you squat are you? Also check out the article on carb cycling here, lots of good info.

I am. It's about half the sprinting volume I used to do though (about 5x75m rather than 10x75m), so I kind of think I'll be okay in the long run. I also used to squat 3x a week and sprint 3x a week, which looking back is clearly why I burned out so fast. Now I squat once a week, sprint twice a week. What do you think?