PDA

View Full Version : The life of a band

ThomasG
04-18-2010, 03:12 PM
I noticed some wear and tear yesterday on my orange band(weakest band) and am a little worried of it snapping. When is it time to throw out a band? How long do you're frequently used bands last?

Travis Bell
04-18-2010, 03:22 PM
My bands get used 3 and 4 times a day 5 days a week and most of them last pretty close to a year before they get thrown out.

If they are fraying, it's no big deal. If they are actually torn through multiple layers, then it's time to throw them out

ThomasG
04-18-2010, 03:24 PM
My bands get used 3 and 4 times a day 5 days a week and most of them last pretty close to a year before they get thrown out.

If they are fraying, it's no big deal. If they are actually torn through multiple layers, then it's time to throw them out

Hmmm I dunno what I did to mine then. I must have stabbed it somehow when Re-racking on squats cause it has some tearing in the middle and I've only had it for about 3 month's.

ThomasG
04-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Without making a new thread. What band set would you recommend adding to my collection now that I'm going to be ordering some more. I currently own the #2 #3 and #4 from APT
http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/29540

Maybe some monster mini's from EliteFTS for pulls and bench?

Travis Bell
04-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Man those bands seem expensive! Maybe I'm just looking at it incorrectly though.

Either way, monster minis are good or just additional sets of the same bands. In my gym we have multiple sets of each band tension so we can do a lot of different combinations or I can divide athletes into two racks and they can work.

As far as your broken one, if you're setting your bands inside the collar on the bar, then yes, it probably got pinched when racking the weight

ThomasG
04-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Man those bands seem expensive! Maybe I'm just looking at it incorrectly though.

Either way, monster minis are good or just additional sets of the same bands. In my gym we have multiple sets of each band tension so we can do a lot of different combinations or I can divide athletes into two racks and they can work.

As far as your broken one, if you're setting your bands inside the collar on the bar, then yes, it probably got pinched when racking the weight

Ya noob mistake I made when first using bands for squats.

Brian Hopper
04-19-2010, 06:42 AM
We have some old bands that need replacing, but they are just old. Some bands that we have are 2-3 years old...hahaha!!!!!

Becareful with the new bands from EFS, I read on http://www.outlawpowerlifting.com that alot of people were having problems with there bands. They were saying that after 1-2 uses they are starting to fray and tear apart.

BUT, I have some of there monster minis and minis, and mine are fine. So maybe it was something they were doing, because mine are fine and like new.

IronDiggy
04-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Might have been a bad band.
I know I had mini's that started separating between the layers and split.
Mine were about 2-3 months old as well.

Travis Bell
04-19-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm pretty sure the Elite Bands are made by the same manufacturer as the Jump Stretch ones.

Outlaws is a good place to take stuff with a grain of salt lol.

I have some of both the Jump Stretch ones and the Elite ones (Average, light, monster minis) and they all hold up quite well.

Lones Green
04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Yeah I have some bands that are 2 or 3 years old as well, haha.

Its crazy if you put an old average next to a brand new one, my old ones are like 6 inches longer

I of course just use the old ones to stretch with or do reverse band deads or extra work at home, etc

Brian Hopper
04-19-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm pretty sure the Elite Bands are made by the same manufacturer as the Jump Stretch ones.

Outlaws is a good place to take stuff with a grain of salt lol.

I have some of both the Jump Stretch ones and the Elite ones (Average, light, monster minis) and they all hold up quite well.

I agree, i'll probably still order some from EFS. Those people were probably doing something to cause them to tear. When I ever I get back to training i'll be ordering some light bands and maybe some average bands as well.

SELK
04-20-2010, 09:57 PM
I still use my average bands from elite which are now over 4 years old, on a weekly basis. about 2 years ago I put a small tear in one but it is still working fine.

I even have a new set of average bands, but they are so much stronger that all my PRs are hard to track. They are similar in strength to my heavily used 2 year old Blues.

vdizenzo
04-21-2010, 05:37 AM
I can't believe how long bands like U2 and Rush have lasted for. Wait, am I talking about something different.

KarlMarx
04-21-2010, 01:58 PM
I can't believe how long bands like U2 and Rush have lasted for. Wait, am I talking about something different.

LOL. But Bono's face is starting to look like my old averages--both are won out.