PDA

View Full Version : bench press question/looking for suggestions

JK1
04-19-2010, 11:51 AM
I am having what I think are some problems with my bench that I hope someone can give me some tips on. I have a 635 meet bench in a single ply Rage X and have a 700 lb gym bench in a Single Ply Super Katana. I hope to make that 700 official at a meet in June.

I displaced a vertebra in my thorax last fall in a bit of a temper tantrum involving a flat tire, a rusted bolt, and a missed bench workout. I've got my body put back into place and my bench has shot through the roof in the gym through the winter. However, since that injury I'm having problems with a feeling of not being able to pull my shoulders back like I should (I'm a relatively high archer with a big gut, my goal on setup is to have the top of my belly even with the bar). I'm having problems with this feeling of instability/flattening at the top and my training partners are saying I tend to "windmill" the weight for lack of a better description---my right arm is closer to my pelvis than my left arm when I tuck, so the bar ends up crooked across my chest. Its not consistent either. I can bench great one night and then come back the next and windmill. On the nights I do it, I seem to do it for every set from my first warmup up to the last heavy set despite my attempts to correct the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem?

Thanks.

Travis Bell
04-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Video would be more helpful, but are you using your lats enough?

JK1
04-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Video would be more helpful, but are you using your lats enough?

I'll have to see what i"ve got in terms of video of when I do it. I'm not a big fan of posting videos on the intranets because of the negativity that seems to surround so many of them. That said, there are videos of some of my benches on my facebook page, but i don't think I can link those here. I am on your friends list already Travis, if you wouldn't mind looking at that 700 and giving me your 2 cents worth, I'd really appreciate it. I've got video of 675 too, I just need to upload it. I dont' recally having the problem I'm trying to ask about though with both of those attempts. I need to watch them again.

Now that I think about it, it could be a lat issue. Last night I benched, hit 635 full range, then switched to 3 board and worked up to 705 , which I missed the first time but then got for 2 the second attempt. i was pretty shakey the first time I tried it, and I was "windmilling' with every attempt.

Like I said, I feel as if I can't pull my shoulders back, almost as if the weight is flattening me out?

I apologize for being so vague.. I'm just not sure how to word my question. video might be better.

Brian C
04-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I think everyone here gives a fair opinion and critique on vids that are posted, unlike most other forums. I would encourage you to post them here as your getting advice from some of the best benchers in the world(Trav, Vin, Scott to name a few).

Ryano
04-20-2010, 03:16 PM
"Helicoptering" the bar can be caused by alot of things. You could be setup uneven on the bench, have a slight shoulder injury that you are compensating for with uneven tucking, or you could be flattening out unevenly once you take the weight after a good setup. It can also be caused by having one shirt sleeve "tweeked" more on one side than the other, which will give more support on one side. Your center spotter will have the best view of the problems during your lift.

vdizenzo
04-20-2010, 03:32 PM
I think everyone here gives a fair opinion and critique on vids that are posted, unlike most other forums. I would encourage you to post them here as your getting advice from some of the best benchers in the world(Trav, Vin, Scott to name a few).

Thanks for the nice compliment.

Brian's right, you won't get slammed here. Regarding the windmilling, clearly you are having problems bringing the bar in. Try some reverse band puldowns on the bench. They strengthen your back and really help with your groove. Here's a vid I did a while back. Damn, i miss my belly.

Kre3xyQbqTI

Travis Bell
04-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Second the pulldowns.

whenever I'm having troubles with my technique, I throw those into the rotation and it really works well.

JK1
04-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the nice compliment.

Brian's right, you won't get slammed here. Regarding the windmilling, clearly you are having problems bringing the bar in. Try some reverse band puldowns on the bench. They strengthen your back and really help with your groove. Here's a vid I did a while back. Damn, i miss my belly.

Kre3xyQbqTI

Thanks for posting that video....

I still haven't figured out how to post the videos here from tagged videos on facebook, so I apologize for that. I know the people on this forum are by and large pretty cool--heck I know several of you and have trained with some of you.

The videos I do have aren't the best to show what I was trying to talk about either. Travis took a look a the videos I've got on Facebook (thanks for that Travis) and pointed out/confirmed what my wife (and training partner) was saying that he thought I wasn't using my lats to lower the bar, instead I'm letting it fall.

Looking back at technique, and practicing my setup after I read Travis's message, that has to be the problem. For whatever reason, I'm not keeping my back as tight as I did this time last year and I'm not activating the lats like I should.

I've got 6 weeks until the meet. You can bet I'm going to be doing reverse band pulldowns on my DE days until then.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate your help. Next stop.... 705 in single ply. ;-)

JK1
04-26-2010, 04:24 PM
I just wanted to put up a quick THANK YOU to Travis and Vincent for their help with my questions I added in the reverse band rows last week and felt an immediate difference in how I was able to stay tight and get my shoulders back. I adjusted my stance just a bit, flattening out my feet slightly too. I didn't change the neck position or sleeves of my Super Katana though.

Last night I benched 635 x 1 full range (this is my meet PR, and will be my opener my next meet) then 675 x 2, 695 x 2, and a PR 725 x 1 off a 2 board.

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it.

vdizenzo
04-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Great job. Glad I could help. Keep itup.

Travis Bell
04-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Vin is more the one who helped you. He's the one who showed me that exercise.

Well done on the PR's though!