PDA

View Full Version : I want to start eating fish

tryme
04-19-2010, 04:09 PM
My whole life i've never touched fish due to the smell etc but I now I could do with eating it. The most i've managed is cod from the fish and chip shop and fish fingers. That's it. Where would be a good place to start as I don't want to try anything to strong to start with.

Pure Water
04-19-2010, 04:48 PM
I like my fish at Red Lobster, they're a bit expensive but very delicious. I usually order the Haddock and Chips meal.

There's this one place I went to when I was a little kid, I'm pretty sure it was called The Keg. Never go there! I ordered fish from there and when I got it, I started trying to eat it and it was hard and there was water or something coming out of the fish too. So I told the waiter guy and a while later he brings back a new plate of fish and all, then I said I wasn't hungry anymore so he ended up bagging the food I think and I took it home but never ate it. Haha, and I never went there again.

tom183
04-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Salmon and mackerel are my personal favourites.

StLRPh
04-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Just go for it, get some sushi. We've been frying fish pretty often at my house. My daughter loves it, we've done catfish and perch. Tell the fish guy you don't want anything that smells "fishy" and let him make a choice for you.

VikingWarlord
04-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Good fish doesn't smell fishy. If it does, you're about to eat or buy crap. Fresh fish should smell like the ocean.

Cod is actually my favorite because of its nutritional profile. It has very little fat and (I believe) has the highest calorie:protein ratio.

Tilapia and pollock are other good whitefish choices, both high protein while being low fat and low calorie. Broiling them with olive oil, salt, and pepper is always a good choice to add a little monounsaturated fat and still stay low calorie and high protein.

Salmon is fattier, but its nutritional profile is excellent also, with a good amount of unsaturated fats and, as a bonus, a big dose of omega 3s.

Don't bother with restaurant garbage. Preparing fish is easy and most of the time, it's fairly inexpensive, at least when compared with other lean protein sources.

Iplan
04-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Grilled or broiled red snapper filet.....

SCmmaFAN
04-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Tilapia is fish supposedly for non-fish eaters (mild taste and smell). I think it's an ok fish but I prefer most other fishies.

Mark!
04-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Tilapia was on sale a few weeks back so I stocked up, just recently..yesterday..opened up the bag and started cooking it. EVOO, salt, pepper, season salt a little butter...good to go. Also love salmon. Yet to try cod, but will get some next shopping trip.

juelz701
04-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Salmon is the top of the line for fish if your a bodybuilder, make sure that you buy the wild caught salmon not farmed!! I was the same way for years I never touched fish then i saw a few articles and how high the grade of protein is in salmon and I eat it about 3 times a week now

CannibalCrowley
04-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Have you tried boiled fish? Honestly, I was always pretty meh about fish; but after my first fishboil I became a convert. I've slowly came around to other styles; but I believe that boiled fish will always be my favorite.

Sweetbeard
04-19-2010, 11:49 PM
grab some mahi mahi filets... throw alittle lemon on them and broil for 10 min.

just flake it up over some corn tortillas , throw on some shredded lettuce and salsa... easy fish tacos!

and tasty to boot:)

alin
04-20-2010, 01:49 AM
As someone who has loved and consumed fish their whole life, I should say I don't understand you!

I did, however, have a problem eating mushrooms, and the way I went about it was to absolutely smother them in spices (think of the spices you like) and then gradually, over time, add less spices until I was happy with the shroomy taste. Just a suggestion.

PS. Beware of bad-smelling fish. Fresh fish should not smell repulsive. Go to the fish market and browse the fresh catches. The nose knows.

tryme
04-20-2010, 01:53 AM
Ok thanks guys. I think salmon will be first what about tuna?

Skalami
04-20-2010, 08:21 AM
good ol canned salmon would be your best bet for your first fish eating experience... hardly any smell and nicely cleaned up.

;)

VikingWarlord
04-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Canned anything shouldn't be eaten if fresh food is available because it's always inferior.

StLRPh
04-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Canned salmon is nasty, IMO. Fresh is much better.

Travis Bell
04-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the canned stuff. It smells pretty bad

My wife did some sauteed tilapia last night that was really good.

Fish is actually really easy to prepare when you get the hang of it.

Clover
04-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Canned salmon or tuna is nasty imo. It can be pretty cheap though.

If I eat canned salmon, I usually throw some butter and flour in a pan, then add in about 3/4 cup of milk until it gets nice and thick. Then I put the can of salmon in and stir it until its creamy. Then I put it on some toast with some salt and pepper. It takes away the fishy taste and its actually pretty good.

AKMass
04-20-2010, 01:39 PM
My advice would be to start with Tilapia. I was going to say Salmon, but salmon always ends up so dry, like chicken breast. Tilapia pretty much falls apart. :burger:

VikingWarlord
04-20-2010, 02:02 PM
I was going to say Salmon, but salmon always ends up so dry, like chicken breast.

If that's the case, you're preparing them wrong.

Y2A
04-20-2010, 02:17 PM
I was the same until a few years back. Sushi is where I started, then moved to tilapia, and now I can eat tuna in a can. I still like them in that order (canned tuna by far the least), but now I can eat salmon and other fish too and I'm fine with it.

J.C.
04-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Sorry to be the resident hippy, but you should probably avoid cod. There aren't too many left these days and nobody wants the stock to collapse. Pollock is a good substitute and is easily found off UK shores (I think you said you were English?)

I love salmon! I used to buy it as an occasional treat and then found a shop were it is regularly discounted. I buy it almost every week now.

If you don't like fish then go for something really meaty. Tuna steaks are a possibility.

AKMass
04-20-2010, 02:50 PM
If that's the case, you're preparing them wrong.

I don't prepare them myself...Never have. How do you prepare them?

I've eaten salmon hundreds of times in my life, from restaurants, from my dad (who is a professional chef), and from various other people (BBQs, etc). I can't remember a single time when salmon hasn't been dry, except as sushi or sashimi.

VikingWarlord
04-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Sorry to be the resident hippy, but you should probably avoid cod. There aren't too many left these days and nobody wants the stock to collapse. Pollock is a good substitute and is easily found off UK shores (I think you said you were English?)

I love salmon! I used to buy it as an occasional treat and then found a shop were it is regularly discounted. I buy it almost every week now.

If you don't like fish then go for something really meaty. Tuna steaks are a possibility.

Farmed cod has no real difference over wild caught and is generally cheaper. Guess that's not so common over there.

Skalami
04-21-2010, 07:25 AM
i was joking about Canned Salmon youre iffy on fish (even if youre not) dont go anywhere near canned salmon... canned tuna (to me) is 10x more palatable then canned salmon... i mean most times it has the skin, bones and such inside the can.

Also dont you lose some of the benefits of fish by eating farmed? Doesnt the omega 3 content go down and the omega 6 content go waaay up?