PDA

View Full Version : What should a 620 2 board translate to after I find my groove?

jmccown
04-20-2010, 02:37 PM
I really hate working in my single ply super katana shirt but have been forcing myself to do this every Monday so I'll get the thing broke in and so I'll have some good meet results this year. First of all I know it's a silly question but you have to realize I train alone in my power rack in my garage and am skeptical about going balls out training by myself. I have done as high as 620 off a 2 board with more left in the tank while relying on the pins in the rack to be my safeguard if something went wrong (it hasn't yet). Several months back I posted a 585 bench for those that might remember but my question is if I can hit a 620 off a 2 board what kind of #'s should I be aiming for full range when I finally learn the groove of the SK shirt? As I get closer to peaking my training cycle just wondering what I should be aiming for? I have a 450 raw bench for what it's worth.

AdamBAG
04-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Well, it's a pretty loaded question considering that it sounds like you are new to that shirt. If you haven't touched in that shirt then I wouldn't worry too much about what translates. If you can't touch it doesn't matter.

That said, in my Rage-X that I was very comfortable in and touched many times, I benched 600 and hit a 2-board PR of 640 that training cycle. Really though, some people can hit huge numbers off boards, but it doesn't matter if you can't touch and press something full range.

Ryano
04-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Shirted board presses are a good tool to "work down" a new shirt and to help you get used to handling extreme weights. That's it. You cannot predict any full range numbers from board presses. A tight shirt you aren't touching in will give you more support than it will when it's broken in to full range. Don't use the boards anymore than you have to until you are consistantly touching. The boards will "mess up" your full range groove big time, especially if you are new to shirted benching.

vdizenzo
04-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Like the rest said, you can't predict. it's like the same ago old question if I can hit a bench with this much band tension or that much chain weight, what would it equal in straight weight. The only way to know what you can hit with straight weight to the chest, is to bench straight weight to the chest.

One thought might be a little more helpful. If your two board press is increasing, it stands to reason your full range max will increase also.

Travis Bell
04-20-2010, 03:27 PM
I agree with Ryano. Boards mean nothing until you can touch.

There are some advanced guys out there like Rob Luyando who know what they can hit off a certain board to what they can hit full range, but that's because they know their shirts very well.

Doesn't sound like you know that shirt all that well so any correlations would be pointless to make.

jmccown
04-20-2010, 07:38 PM
I really don't understand how to use the shirt good yet. What I have learned has come from here. I appreciate the feed back and I've worked down to touching with the shirt but haven't gone up to heavy singles yet. I guess I need to round up a few spotters and see what happens.

AdrianLarsen
04-20-2010, 07:55 PM
I think gettiing some spotters is a great idea. It is just a more safe way to train, also you can go until there is nothing in the tank. Also once you get down to one and two boards I suggest doing triples. But just a suggestion I hope it helps now go call three buddies and tell them to come over and spot you

ScottYard
04-21-2010, 06:41 AM
You have to get full reps in to the chest multiple times per workout. Its really the only way to get to an advanced level. Dont get me wrong there are guys out there that never touch in training and put up huge benches but these guys are not the norm. They will hit a big bench once a year or so and bomb multiple times also that year. The consistent lifters more then likely train full range reps.

jmccown
04-21-2010, 12:58 PM
On the rep sets to the chest what # would you recommend. Sets of 3-5 maybe?

Travis Bell
04-21-2010, 01:10 PM
singles.

Once you get used to touching your chest, triples are fine, but what I've noticed with guys who aren't good with shirts, when they try to do triples their form gets worse and worse with each rep. Not really beneficial.

MarcusWild
04-21-2010, 02:06 PM
singles.

Once you get used to touching your chest, triples are fine, but what I've noticed with guys who aren't good with shirts, when they try to do triples their form gets worse and worse with each rep. Not really beneficial.

I think the issue is where you take the handoff is different from where you finish a rep. You take the handoff lower to have the weight in your lats. You lockout higher as you drift and use your triceps. When you start rep 2, it's in a different spot and that's where bad habits start. I've noticed the same thing with reps off boards too.

robchris
04-21-2010, 06:23 PM
As stated earlier, Gotta go full range bro... Keep trying to touch each session in the shirt. That last inch is the b**** of the bunch man...

Bds. are mainly for overload work and working the lock-out/ tricep strength. Sorry, I wish there was formula for translating 2-bd. to full range :(
I will say this, in my limited shirt experience (1-yr.) I could generally 2-bd. approx. 60+ than my full range press.

Rob Luyando
04-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Have to agree w leaving the boards for the exsperience lifters. Master your full range movements then yo can rely on brds

NickAus
04-21-2010, 07:06 PM
The guys above are far my advanced than me and I agree with them, to give you an idea of my 2 board vs Touch:

In a shirt I could touch in, 40lbs more off the 2 board.

In a shirt to tight for me to touch in at my skill level around 80lbs more.

Hope that makes sense.

KarstenDD
04-21-2010, 07:45 PM
A 620 2 board translates very well into a 620 2 board.

ScottYard
04-22-2010, 08:29 AM
A 620 2 board translates very well into a 620 2 board.

LOL Nice!

AJ Roberts
04-25-2010, 06:19 AM
For me every board is usually ~20lbs more than i can do off my chest but as others have mentioned this isn't the same for everyone.

theBarzeen
04-25-2010, 06:54 AM
620 off of a 2 board translates to somewhere between bombing out and an 800 bench...... all depending on how those last few inches go for you.

Rob Luyando
04-25-2010, 09:49 AM
For me every board is usually ~20lbs more than i can do off my chest but as others have mentioned this isn't the same for everyone.

I know Rick Hussey uses the 20 lbs per brd theory as well. It's pretty safe for exsperienceinced lifter. But by rights one should be srtonger full range then they are at a 2 brd becuase the shirt is being streched more. It's a matter of mastering the full range groove.

AJ Roberts
04-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Not really sure i can agree with that statement Rob.

Basically the way i see it time under tension has a lot more to do with total weight lifted than does the stretch of the shirt. For me the shorted the distance the greater the weight one can lift. If this wasn't the case then why would the lifter with the longest stroke not be the strongest bencher?

vdizenzo
04-26-2010, 06:48 PM
I know Rick Hussey uses the 20 lbs per brd theory as well. It's pretty safe for exsperienceinced lifter. But by rights one should be srtonger full range then they are at a 2 brd becuase the shirt is being streched more. It's a matter of mastering the full range groove.

Basically the way i see it time under tension has a lot more to do with total weight lifted than does the stretch of the shirt. For me the shorted the distance the greater the weight one can lift. If this wasn't the case then why would the lifter with the longest stroke not be the strongest bencher?

:lurk:

Travis Bell
04-26-2010, 08:46 PM

Fair point AJ

I think Lou explained it to me once saying that most people don't end up benching more full range than they do on boards when all they do is train boards, because they are only training themselves to move the weight a limited distance.

One of the problems we've seen with the bench only crew is that alot of them who only did boards, actually didn't have a problem touching, but couldn't lock weights out at the top because they'd only trained a limited range of motion.

Rob Luyando
04-27-2010, 07:02 PM
AJ you are entitled to your opinion. I just gave my views based on my training. To argue my point Ryan Kennelly has long arms and a decent size stroke and alps has the biggest bench.

AJ Roberts
04-27-2010, 09:26 PM
AJ you are entitled to your opinion. I just gave my views based on my training. To argue my point Ryan Kennelly has long arms and a decent size stroke and alps has the biggest bench.

Fair enough, i really wasn't trying to get into an argument. Nothing wrong with having different opinions plus you bench more than me so maybe this is something I have yet to discover.

Rob Luyando
04-28-2010, 07:04 PM
I didn't take it as you were trying to argue. We have talked in person and you wre pretty cool. Key is you have to drop the bar faster stretching the shirt the lower you go building kenetic energy for the return

Clifford Gillmore
05-02-2010, 06:24 AM
I'm actually going to bump up this thread with a little question of my own on this.

I've heard Louie state that in ME movements you should be able to do less than in a meet, so I should be able to full bench more than I can 4-board? Don't interpret me as one of those guys that read something on the internet and know it all, I generally want to understand this. I mean, I know I can bench more than I can reverse band bench and I know I can bench more than I can floor-press. Should the boards be the same?

Travis Bell
05-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm actually going to bump up this thread with a little question of my own on this.

I've heard Louie state that in ME movements you should be able to do less than in a meet, so I should be able to full bench more than I can 4-board? Don't interpret me as one of those guys that read something on the internet and know it all, I generally want to understand this. I mean, I know I can bench more than I can reverse band bench and I know I can bench more than I can floor-press. Should the boards be the same?

No you misapplied what he intended.

He means that you should be able to full range more at a meet than you do in the gym.