PDA

View Full Version : Full Range Movements in Westside Routine

RalphL
04-20-2010, 06:52 PM
I was looking at using the "Nuts and Bolts" westside template and using deficit pulls, low box squat, free squat, and full deadlifts for ME lower and incline, 1 board, CG bench, and regular bench for ME upper. Anything wrong with using full ROM movements? I'm a raw lifter and this is my first time using westside. I also do not have access to chains/specialty bars.

Lones Green
04-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Nothing wrong at all with using full range movements IMO. Especially for a raw lifter

RalphL
04-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Also- should I be shooting for PRs every ME day? Say I'm not feeling like adding weight on my DL/squat, is simply doing about 3 sets in the 90-100%% range enough? And should I be doing strictly 1rms, or should I be incorporating 3rm and 5rms as well?

vdizenzo
04-20-2010, 08:06 PM
When I was running WS for my raw bench I shot for a pr every week. I'd do a different exercise each week and then deload on the fourth week.

NickAus
04-20-2010, 08:22 PM
I love 2's and 3s and find they help a lot, same for my training partner.

Good luck, you seem to be on the right track!!

Travis Bell
04-20-2010, 08:54 PM
You need to look for PRs every week. That's how you make progress

What is the "Nuts and Bolts" version of Westside? I've never heard of it.

rockofages
04-20-2010, 09:03 PM
You need to look for PRs every week. That's how you make progress

What is the "Nuts and Bolts" version of Westside? I've never heard of it.

I think it is from an EFS training manual.

RalphL
04-20-2010, 09:09 PM
I bought a book from EFS that has various westside templates in it.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2qb4q5v.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/16k3jbt.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/j0e0dx.jpg

Suprman1020
04-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Incorporate full range stuff such as incline, bench (various grips), as well as some low board pressing (2 board) and floor pressing. I was my strongest at a low body weight while doing westside training. I'm a lifetime drugfree lifter. I lifted raw, did chains, bands, speed work, etc. Westside training got me to a 605 gym deadlift and a 589 meet deadlift @213 bodyweight. My bench was a 353@213 in a meet and a 380 gym @228 with a 405, 2board press. My only mistake was that I didn't do enough free squats and did too much box squats. Westside is great and really adaptable. Lift hard.

achilles89
04-21-2010, 03:53 AM
I was looking at using the "Nuts and Bolts" westside template and using deficit pulls, low box squat, free squat, and full deadlifts for ME lower and incline, 1 board, CG bench, and regular bench for ME upper. Anything wrong with using full ROM movements? I'm a raw lifter and this is my first time using westside. I also do not have access to chains/specialty bars.

I'm a westside newb myself and here is a thread (http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?135284-Westside-Logs-for-raw-single-ply-lifters&p=2315918#post2315918) I started on getting backup logs for guys doing westside as raw/single ply lifters. I just got Jim Wendler's standard template and then have occasional RE work rather than DE.

I only have a 2-board and are yet to get chains and bands but westside is very workable for now. E.g just for bench :- floor presses, CGBP, 2board presses, 2board CGBP, incline presses, CGBP incline, rack lockouts. As soon as I was able to dead a weight off a block that I couldn't deadlift full range, a week or two later I could deadlift the weight .

Westside is great because you work on your weaknesses and whether you are just starting out or an elite lifter, it can work for you. Obviously as you go along you can get bands, chains and look to getting shirts and suits but there is no reason you cannot set the ball rolling with what you have.

achilles89
04-21-2010, 04:26 AM
Incorporate full range stuff such as incline, bench (various grips), as well as some low board pressing (2 board) and floor pressing. I was my strongest at a low body weight while doing westside training. I'm a lifetime drugfree lifter. I lifted raw, did chains, bands, speed work, etc. Westside training got me to a 605 gym deadlift and a 589 meet deadlift @213 bodyweight. My bench was a 353@213 in a meet and a 380 gym @228 with a 405, 2board press. My only mistake was that I didn't do enough free squats and did too much box squats. Westside is great and really adaptable. Lift hard.

Pretty much my approach. I don't do pure box squats like a suited monolift squatter but low box squats to get IPF depth, and RE work with squats/deads. To gain confidence in handling heavy weights and walking them out as IPF doesn't allow monos, I do partials and walkouts with heavy weight.

AdamBAG
04-21-2010, 04:51 AM
Yes, using full range movements is a great idea. In fact, I think doing movements full range is one of the best ways to train. If you have some bands you can do a lot of different full range movements without a lot of expensive equipment.

RalphL
04-21-2010, 11:12 AM
A couple more questions- I'm 14 weeks out from a meet. Should I do any sort of peaking cycle for DE bench/lower? and are front squats (3rm-5rm range) good for ME work?

Travis Bell
04-21-2010, 11:20 AM
There is no peaking cycle for DE bench

There is circa max for DE squat, however at your level it's better to go without it.