PDA

View Full Version : The meet where everything goes wrong...

BloodyDeadliftr
04-20-2010, 10:06 PM
With all the experience that is on these boards I'm sure some of you have had the unfortunate experience of going into the meet confident that your going to do well and it is the complete opposite. Well, I am now a member of that group. I went in confident that I was going to hit elite total raw(1550) after having my meet in december and totaling 1445.

I compete in the IPA Raw (no knee wraps) Ameture Junior 220lb class. My attempts for squat were 460 good, 500 miss 500 miss......Bench 340 good 365 good 380 good <<New pr and new world record.......deadlift...550 good 610 miss 610 miss....totaled 1390! Are you kidding me??? To me if I don't leave the meet with a new pr in each lift and total its a failed meet and its back to the drawing board. So here I am at the drawing board and looking to where I went wrong. Prolly made to big of a jump in the squat and dead but I have made jumps like that in training and just cant understand. Maybe I'm not seeing something you guys are seeing by all means, I'm open to all critiques.

Here is the link from my last meet for reference and comparison to the videos of the one I just had:
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?132102-1445-Raw-Total...21-yrs-old-213lbs

I'll post videos from the meet from this weekend in the morning

Fuzzy
04-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Everything went wrong? I bombed last meet.

heads up soldier. 380 is a beastly raw bench press.

BloodyDeadliftr
04-21-2010, 06:17 AM
460 squat opener
iJr9iUjL_FI

500 miss
NXhmcHvVX2Q

500 miss again
qIEShjGspYY

Bench opener 340
QnG8DABiWJ8

Bench 2nd 365
Ec07qq_zAFc

Bench 3rd 380 <<< new pr and ipa world record
wtbl3F1jHAo

Deadlift
46TpmmgBTpw

0HurEDobZf8

610 round 2
dgVC7DELpRA

BloodyDeadliftr
04-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Everything went wrong? I bombed last meet.

heads up soldier. 380 is a beastly raw bench press.

sorry to hear about the bomb out, I guess having high expectations and not coming close to them is what got me...back to the drawing board

Sean S
04-21-2010, 10:20 AM
I don't see any huge technical issues, so it may just have been a bad day. I would look at things like your peaking routine, when you took your last heavy lifts, etc.... Some people take their openers too close to the competition and aren't fully recovered on meet day. If you were hitting bigger numbers in training than you did at the meet, you may have been a bit overtrained going into the meet. Did you cut weight or change weight classes going into this meet? All things to consider.
Regarding technique, their are a couple things you might consider. Your SQ stance looks fairly wide for a raw squatter. It looks like this is causing you to lose power out of the hole. Wider isn't always better, especially for a raw squatter. You might try moving your stance in a little bit to see if that helps at all. You don't have to go really narrow, but narrower than you are now. In the DL, you look like you don't lock in your arch and get rounded a bit on the way up. This seems to be what is causing you to stall at lockout. You simply can't uncoil your back to get the proper leverage to push your hips through. Try arching harder during your set-up and holding that arch on the way up. If you do this and still can't hold your arch, do some more work to target your lower back (GM's, back raises, etc....)
Anyone who has been doing this any length of time has had a sub-par meet. Just try to learn from it and get better next time.

BloodyDeadliftr
04-21-2010, 11:56 AM
I don't see any huge technical issues, so it may just have been a bad day. I would look at things like your peaking routine, when you took your last heavy lifts, etc.... Some people take their openers too close to the competition and aren't fully recovered on meet day. If you were hitting bigger numbers in training than you did at the meet, you may have been a bit overtrained going into the meet. Did you cut weight or change weight classes going into this meet? All things to consider.
Regarding technique, their are a couple things you might consider. Your SQ stance looks fairly wide for a raw squatter. It looks like this is causing you to lose power out of the hole. Wider isn't always better, especially for a raw squatter. You might try moving your stance in a little bit to see if that helps at all. You don't have to go really narrow, but narrower than you are now. In the DL, you look like you don't lock in your arch and get rounded a bit on the way up. This seems to be what is causing you to stall at lockout. You simply can't uncoil your back to get the proper leverage to push your hips through. Try arching harder during your set-up and holding that arch on the way up. If you do this and still can't hold your arch, do some more work to target your lower back (GM's, back raises, etc....)
Anyone who has been doing this any length of time has had a sub-par meet. Just try to learn from it and get better next time.

I don't think I was overtrained for this because I was only really training for 4 months for it. I took my last heavy lifts 2 weeks out, the week before the week of I took off. The week before I took my openers and the week before that was my last heavy day..and I believe I did doubles there. I didn't cut weight, I actually came in heavier to this one than I was at my last one. Come to think of it when I was doing the heaviest of weights in the gym I was 220 on the money and 215 on the day of the meet so that may have something to do with it. Hmm with the stance, I have major tighness in my hips and squatting wider forces them to fireoff alot better. I was thinking of training to a box below parallel to increase my strength out of the hole. Thanks for pointing out the not arched back, I'll keep that in mind for when I go to deadlift again. Thanks for the advice!!!!

Sean S
04-21-2010, 08:29 PM
My personal recommendation would be some pause squats instead of box squats to build strength out of the hole. Box squats have never really helped my raw squat much. I hear what you are saying about the hip activation with the wider stance. Something to think about is a little narrower stance, but pushing out the knees really hard to activate the hips. I'm still tinkering with my SQ technique to optimize everything, so these are just some things to think about and maybe tinker with a little bit in training.
Also sounds like you need to make sure your food intake doesn't drop off in the last couple weeks before the meet so you can maintain weight.

Fuzzy
04-21-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't think I was overtrained for this because I was only really training for 4 months for it. I took my last heavy lifts 2 weeks out, the week before the week of I took off. The week before I took my openers and the week before that was my last heavy day..and I believe I did doubles there. I didn't cut weight, I actually came in heavier to this one than I was at my last one. Come to think of it when I was doing the heaviest of weights in the gym I was 220 on the money and 215 on the day of the meet so that may have something to do with it. Hmm with the stance, I have major tighness in my hips and squatting wider forces them to fireoff alot better. I was thinking of training to a box below parallel to increase my strength out of the hole. Thanks for pointing out the not arched back, I'll keep that in mind for when I go to deadlift again. Thanks for the advice!!!!

maybe you came in UNDER trained. A full week off and the lasy weight lifted prior to that your openers? Man if I did that my CNS would go all mushy and lazy, maybe do an opened 5 days out instead of a full week, and some reeeeaaallly light work 2 days before.

J.C.
04-22-2010, 12:31 PM
maybe you came in UNDER trained. A full week off and the lasy weight lifted prior to that your openers? Man if I did that my CNS would go all mushy and lazy, maybe do an opened 5 days out instead of a full week, and some reeeeaaallly light work 2 days before.

Is this a difference between oly weightlifting and powerlifting? I think powerlifters are usually recommended to take a good amount of time off to let their body heal up for max effort. Andy Bolton didn't train for ten days before he hit his 1000lb deadlift. But I can see why weightlifters might want to keep the CNS spry for the speed and technical aspect of their lifts. Just wondering...