PDA

View Full Version : Help building friend a home gym

Jared R
04-22-2010, 01:26 AM
I hope this is the proper forum.. Here goes.

I have a friend who lives in Revelstoke, BC Canada that doesn't know where to buy gym equipment. He's new to lifting, but he's quite fit as it is. His goals aren't to become as strong as possible, but I think his mindset will change when he gets into it. If I had to guess, his lifts would already be in the range of 250/275/300 (B/S/D).

His budget is flexible, around 1-2 grand. I'm not sure where he should buy his equipment, but I suggested he buy an Olympic bench, a power rack, and possibly another bench without all of the attachments such as weight rack. As far as bars and weights go, I can only recommend that he buy a cheap Olympic bar and some adjustable dumbbells. He thinks he can find the barbell, dumbbells, and weight at a nearby store, but I would also appreciate advice on those things, too.

In addition to needing advice on the preceding, I also had a couple of dumb question of my own.

1. Should he buy two Oly bars for a bench and a power rack? I figure this one is an obvious no, but it can't hurt to ask.

2. Do all adjustable dumbbells use standard weight? I want to ensure that he buys the right type as well as amount of weight for bench pressing with DB's.

Thanks for any help, and I can provide more info if needed.

KoSh
04-22-2010, 06:05 AM
snpequipment.

Contact Scott at safeprosek@gmail.com

He won't regret the decision. He's shipping my bench, sled, rack, and bar to me at the moment. Real easy to work with, makes custom equipment.

Get just one bar, no need for two.

You can get Olympic DB Handles.

He should get his weight used from craigslist or from a Play-It-Again Sports, or something like that.

Jared R
04-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all of the info!

Sounds good, I'll have him email Scott and check Craigslist every day.

Jared R
06-03-2010, 02:53 AM
My friend emailed Scott, but he didn't reply. Well, he did reply saying he would have estimates on prices/shipping in a couple of days, but nothing after that. Any idea as to why Scott would lie to someone and then ignore their emails? My friend was anything but rude, and it has been over a month now.

ehubbard
06-03-2010, 06:18 AM
Buy the 2x2 rack from EliteFTS.com. Easy to order and will be there in a few weeks. Don't skimp on a cheap bar, geta solid Power bar and not a used one that comes as part of a weight set. For cheaper options for a bar check out Weightlifters Warehouse or Jesup. The adjustable dumbbells are a little pricey so I would go with the Olympic Dumbbell handles (also from EliteFTS.com). Also, he will need some plywood and rubber matting (horse stall mats work) to build a platform so he can bolt down the rack.

IRBS
06-03-2010, 06:31 AM
My friend emailed Scott, but he didn't reply. Well, he did reply saying he would have estimates on prices/shipping in a couple of days, but nothing after that. Any idea as to why Scott would lie to someone and then ignore their emails? My friend was anything but rude, and it has been over a month now.

Scott is also doing a build for me right now as well. He has been great to work with. Keep in mind this isnt Scott's main job, and I think he has been out of town on business. I cant say enough good things about Scott, and everything I have heard about him has been great, so I think your buddy's situation is pretty isolated...

I also wouldnt say he "lied" about anything. There is a difference in lying to someone and simply forgetting. I would have your friend check back in with him.

Also, keep in mind shipping will likely be high going into Canada. I would check craigslist for everything. You can find some great deals out there.

AdamBAG
06-03-2010, 07:40 AM

As stated below, Scott builds equipment as a second job. Every summer he goes out of town for a 6-8 week work project. That's what he is doing now. Tell your friend to email him again.

C-Sobrino
06-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I would look at Louie's equipment over at www.westside-barbell.com or rogue fitness stuff.

seK
06-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Ah lucky bastard Revelstoke is one of the best places on the planet for mountain sledding. I miss it already, was there last year.

I bought most of my equipment in Alberta from Fitness Depot, the shipping wasn't that bad I think in total I spend $1,500 for a rack, incl/decl bench 3 bar's and weight. I was also lucky to get some free floor panels for my weight room. You can call and get a quote from any of the stores or price it online. I would suggest calling since they do have in store sales ect.

www.fitnessdepot.ca