PDA

View Full Version : New vid of Pat Mendes - 200kg snatch!

CleverName
04-22-2010, 03:12 AM
-6mRbQG-PL4

He may be... The One. Hopefully he'll bring the gold to the US and put Weightlifting in the spotlight around these parts.

NickAus
04-22-2010, 03:44 AM
Some strong stuff there!!

Brian Hopper
04-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Very impressive!!!!!

Guido
04-22-2010, 09:24 AM
I can't see the vid but I'm going to assume it's a lift done in training. I'd love to see him do it in a competition against other strong lifters. Every time I've seen him lift in person in a competition he's bombed out (the '09 Arnold Classic and Pan Am Games/US Nationals).

chris mason
04-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Funny thing how the great hope is strong as **** in the basic lifts, eh? That's what Louie has been preaching forever and seems to get missed on the US Olympic coaches.

robchris
04-22-2010, 06:55 PM
That kid is unbelievable!!!!

The Raw Sqt. & BP were just as impressive as the snatch IMO!

vdizenzo
04-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh my!

Cmanuel
04-22-2010, 08:07 PM
I dont think They actively train basic lifts other than back squat... I think I read somewhere that they do DL and BP every once and a while as a sort of mini competition between fellow gym trainees... Broz is big on going big, going heavy, and going often on the C&J and S

though i might be wrong.

chris mason
04-22-2010, 08:39 PM
I dont think They actively train basic lifts other than back squat... I think I read somewhere that they do DL and BP every once and a while as a sort of mini competition between fellow gym trainees... Broz is big on going big, going heavy, and going often on the C&J and S

though i might be wrong.

My point is that the guy has a lot of brute strength and I am quite sure it is not just from squats and Olympic lifts. He has a surplus of brute strength which is what a top level Olympic lifter needs if he or she is to compete with the best.

Runty
04-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Nothing short of Herculean here.

rinse
04-23-2010, 05:41 AM
My point is that the guy has a lot of brute strength and I am quite sure it is not just from squats and Olympic lifts. He has a surplus of brute strength which is what a top level Olympic lifter needs if he or she is to compete with the best.

It is from just squats, front squats and the olympic lifts plus the power variance of the snatch and clean. They max out on the same lifts every day. Pats coach uses the old bulgarian system.

C-Sobrino
04-23-2010, 05:47 AM
Max effort, every day, two times a day.

Tom Mutaffis
04-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Wow, Mendes is a powerhouse...

If he can stay healthy and dial in for a competition it looks like he could really make a name for himself.

chris mason
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
It is from just squats, front squats and the olympic lifts plus the power variance of the snatch and clean. They max out on the same lifts every day. Pats coach uses the old bulgarian system.

Have you personally spoken to Pat to know exactly what he does in training? What it says in interviews etc. is not always the entirety of the story. In addition, you don't get a raw 500+ lbs bench without doing the movement at least once in a while...

vdizenzo
04-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Have you personally spoken to Pat to know exactly what he does in training? What it says in interviews etc. is not always the entirety of the story. In addition, you don't get a raw 500+ lbs bench without doing the movement at least once in a while...

Agreed.

Cmanuel
04-23-2010, 01:13 PM

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121212081

Here is a good thread where John Broz talks about his training philosophy, what he has pat and other oly lifters do, and how he discourages them from benching (and also talks about how his bench went up a crap ton just from squatting)

Regardless of how he trains, the only thing that really matters is that this kid is on track to bring Gold to the US for oly lifting. Pat has such a damn strong bench press without training it that often... i dont think you will see this kid missing many jerks.

sbirgel
04-23-2010, 01:26 PM
beastly lifting! that kid is unbelievably strong

chris mason
04-23-2010, 02:57 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121212081

Here is a good thread where John Broz talks about his training philosophy, what he has pat and other oly lifters do, and how he discourages them from benching (and also talks about how his bench went up a crap ton just from squatting)

Regardless of how he trains, the only thing that really matters is that this kid is on track to bring Gold to the US for oly lifting. Pat has such a damn strong bench press without training it that often... i dont think you will see this kid missing many jerks.

Is this coach in any of his videos?

Cmanuel
04-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Is this coach in any of his videos?
Yep, he films all of these and posts them to his 'brozknowz' youtube acct.

chris mason
04-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Yep, he films all of these and posts them to his 'brozknowz' youtube acct.

Ok, so he films him benching yet he says he doesn't really do it? He just got a good bench from squatting? I MIGHT be able to buy a 400 + raw bench simply from a lot of pressing, but not a 500+ bench without doing the movement with some regularity.

Put it this way, what coach says he does and what he actually does probably vary a bit (perhaps without the coach's knowledge).

BrozKnows
04-27-2010, 02:19 AM
Ok, so he films him benching yet he says he doesn't really do it? He just got a good bench from squatting? I MIGHT be able to buy a 400 + raw bench simply from a lot of pressing, but not a 500+ bench without doing the movement with some regularity.

Put it this way, what coach says he does and what he actually does probably vary a bit (perhaps without the coach's knowledge).

Pat benched 450 in high school before I met him. Check out his youtube page "buffmendes". I made him a bet that his bench would increase if his overall body power increased without benching. His squat went up over 300# in the past 22 months. For that video he benched 3 days. M, W, F. the lifts were: M: 180x5, W: 140x3x3, F: Video. That's all. since Im with him at the gym everyday, I'm pretty sure he's not sneaking off to bench somewhere else. Especially based on his poor form. He has done standing strict press with 150kg and done 240kg power jerk.

BrozKnows
04-27-2010, 02:20 AM
I can't see the vid but I'm going to assume it's a lift done in training. I'd love to see him do it in a competition against other strong lifters. Every time I've seen him lift in person in a competition he's bombed out (the '09 Arnold Classic and Pan Am Games/US Nationals).

You must have fallen asleep at the Arnold's - especially when they handed him the check for $1000 for best Jr Lifter. He did 160/195 at that meet. Video on youtube.

rinse
04-27-2010, 05:08 AM
I'm really impressed don't get me wrong but did he do 160 at the Arnold and now less than 2 months after he does 200. How can this be? Didn't he go all out at the Arnold or has he a problem to perform when he needs to/peak for a meet?

BrozKnows
04-27-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm really impressed don't get me wrong but did he do 160 at the Arnold and now less than 2 months after he does 200. How can this be? Didn't he go all out at the Arnold or has he a problem to perform when he needs to/peak for a meet?

the Arnolds was March, 2009. That was 13 months ago. He attempted 166 at that meet with a close miss. He made 170 a month before the meet with straps. 30kg in 15 months is more accurate.

rinse
04-27-2010, 01:57 PM
the Arnolds was March, 2009. That was 13 months ago. He attempted 166 at that meet with a close miss. He made 170 a month before the meet with straps. 30kg in 15 months is more accurate.

Oh I thought it was this year. Sorry... Where will Pat compete next?

chris mason
04-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Pat benched 450 in high school before I met him. Check out his youtube page "buffmendes". I made him a bet that his bench would increase if his overall body power increased without benching. His squat went up over 300# in the past 22 months. For that video he benched 3 days. M, W, F. the lifts were: M: 180x5, W: 140x3x3, F: Video. That's all. since Im with him at the gym everyday, I'm pretty sure he's not sneaking off to bench somewhere else. Especially based on his poor form. He has done standing strict press with 150kg and done 240kg power jerk.

One's squat can go through the roof without one's bench going up much. In fact, it would be very odd that someone with an already very impressive raw bench would further increase it without working it. There are a lot of raw 400 ish lbs pressers who would love to move up to 500 lbs and despite a lot of direct and indirect work fail to do so. Shoulder pressing and jerking can help with the bench, but doing no chest work at all and then pressing 500 lbs raw is hard to believe. Unless he lives in the gym with you it is possible he does other work?

In any event, a very strong man under your tutelage.

chris mason
04-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Broz, since we obviously have your attention, I am curious as to why you think the US lifters can't compete at the highest levels? I am sure you believe in how you and others train them, yet we have stunk at the international level for decades now. Why is it the US dominates in powelifting yet fails in Olympic lifting?

Oh, and thanks for posting. I am not trying to bash, I am interested in your answer.

J.C.
04-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Hey Broz, by a funny coincidence I saw a video interview with you a couple of days ago where you discussed the mental attitude to training and the kind of persistence required to achieve results. You say when you were going for a particular snatch PR you attempted the lift something like 35 times in one day before you got it. That is amazing! It really opened my eyes to how much dedication you can put in, and how you should push past your limits and previous failures. Thanks for that.

h.t.hall
04-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Since weightlifting is an Olympic competition event under standarised conditions i believe it's inconsiderate ,inappropriate and disrespectful to start a training video PR with "strongest teenager in the world".
Get it in competition,then brag.

World 2009 rankings as per IWF site :

Best youth 2009 94+:
1 PLESNIEKS Arturs 01.01.1992 LAT 103.80 166 205 371 LANDSKRONA 07.2009

Best junior 2009 105+
1 SALIMIKORDASIABI Behdad 08.12.1989 IRI 153.60 195 228 423 BUCHAREST 06.2009

This is how it works.Now if you get those or better numbers in an international meet you can have this title,until then you cannot seriously do that.Simple as that.
Nobody cares what a weightlifter benches,deadlifts or squats,or even snatches and clean and jerks in training and nobody holds the self given title of the hardest working athlete or coach ,unless it's a self centered person that really believes all those (and many of those) better than him and his athletes work any less hard.
So ,in conclusion,congrats on the big lifts in training,good for you all ,but they mean nothing if you do that in your gym.
Titles are given in big meets where the best of the best compete against each other,not in a familiar gym where you can have 30 attempts at a weight and there's no time limits,competition or judging.

NickAus
04-27-2010, 09:37 PM
I agree that it is harder to perform in a comp than in your own gym for sure but he did snatch 200 KG, that is very impressive regardless.

chris mason
04-27-2010, 09:45 PM
I agree that it is harder to perform in a comp than in your own gym for sure but he did snatch 200 KG, that is very impressive regardless.

I agree, the kid is a BEAST!

BrozKnows
04-28-2010, 04:17 AM
One's squat can go through the roof without one's bench going up much. In fact, it would be very odd that someone with an already very impressive raw bench would further increase it without working it. There are a lot of raw 400 ish lbs pressers who would love to move up to 500 lbs and despite a lot of direct and indirect work fail to do so. Shoulder pressing and jerking can help with the bench, but doing no chest work at all and then pressing 500 lbs raw is hard to believe. Unless he lives in the gym with you it is possible he does other work?

In any event, a very strong man under your tutelage.

IMO, if you can posses more overall power then all your lifts go up. For me to explain, lets exaggerate. If someone NEVER benched, yet only squatted and deadlifted and by some freak of nature they were able to squat 2000 and deadlift 2000, what do you think they could bench? Probably more than 500. When you have overall power, then you are just a tank. it's obvious by his lack of technique in the bench that it's not a lift we train. I stumbled upon this myself. When I was 17 I benched 335. I never touched a bench in over 20 years. During a temporary hiatus / boredom with doing the same 6 lifts for 2 decades, I decided to bench. Within 1 month I did 365, and 3 months did 405. All the years of lifting to gain overall power and strength carried over to the bench without much trouble. I made Pat this bet and it worked for him too. His best in HS was 450 but did 405x3. HIs very first bench workout he did 180kg (396) for 5 reps which was a PR. He is in the gym with me 3x/day, everyday for the past 2 years. I assure you he has not gone anywhere else to sneak in additional lifting.

BrozKnows
04-28-2010, 04:38 AM
Broz, since we obviously have your attention, I am curious as to why you think the US lifters can't compete at the highest levels? I am sure you believe in how you and others train them, yet we have stunk at the international level for decades now. Why is it the US dominates in powelifting yet fails in Olympic lifting?

Oh, and thanks for posting. I am not trying to bash, I am interested in your answer.

I believe in how I train, but I don't think that others here truly understand what it really takes to make it to the top. I see a lot of super talented athletes that lift. They train as hard as their coaches dictate and wonder why they plateau. Their coaches claim drugs, genetics, etc. because there is NO WAY that it could be the mindset that they have instilled in their athletes as well as in themselves. Most US lifters reach a point and stop, but it's this same point where other countries make that final leap to the elite status. IMO, a HUGE portion is the coaches' ego. Just recently the French OL team was at the OTC in CO springs. All the top athletes and coaches were there. Only 1 athlete bothered to spend the time to ask them training questions and technique advice. This lifter added 11kg to their total in 2 weeks while they were there. Not one coach or other athlete was concerned with what they had to offer.

When Krastev was in NY he told me that in the 3 years he was there and training, no one asked him a single question about training system or technique advice. When I was with him I personally saw him give advice to young lifters and their coaches about snatch accessory work and technique pointers. They dismissed him and continued with their regularly scheduled programs. He would look at me in amazement, but not as shocked as I was myself. I suppose ignorance is bliss.

Another reason is because most of the coaches that are leading the youth now were lifters in the 80's and 90's when drug use was at it's peak. It's no secret that there were US lifters who are now prominent coaches that tested positive back in the day. Even though they were using AAS, they still could not even begin to compare to the results of the Soviets or Bulgarians. Now, with the super strict testing that we have in the US compared to some of the other countries around the world, those same coaches that could not win when they were ON, truly in their minds don't believe that their athletes have any kind of real chance. They pass this mentality down to them with low expectations and praise for mediocre results. To accommodate this they have gradually lowered qualifying totals for Nationals over the years to about 10% less then it was 25 years ago. When drug use was equal we still got our teeth kicked in, so it was never about the drugs - it's ALWAYS been about the training.

Until people open their eyes and minds only then can we have an O.Champ again.

BrozKnows
04-28-2010, 04:59 AM
Since weightlifting is an Olympic competition event under standarised conditions i believe it's inconsiderate ,inappropriate and disrespectful to start a training video PR with "strongest teenager in the world".
Get it in competition,then brag.

World 2009 rankings as per IWF site :

Best youth 2009 94+:
1 PLESNIEKS Arturs 01.01.1992 LAT 103.80 166 205 371 LANDSKRONA 07.2009

Best junior 2009 105+
1 SALIMIKORDASIABI Behdad 08.12.1989 IRI 153.60 195 228 423 BUCHAREST 06.2009

This is how it works.Now if you get those or better numbers in an international meet you can have this title,until then you cannot seriously do that.Simple as that.
Nobody cares what a weightlifter benches,deadlifts or squats,or even snatches and clean and jerks in training and nobody holds the self given title of the hardest working athlete or coach ,unless it's a self centered person that really believes all those (and many of those) better than him and his athletes work any less hard.
So ,in conclusion,congrats on the big lifts in training,good for you all ,but they mean nothing if you do that in your gym.
Titles are given in big meets where the best of the best compete against each other,not in a familiar gym where you can have 30 attempts at a weight and there's no time limits,competition or judging.

Well it's quite possible that you might want to re read the title to that video before you go off on this tangent quoting results. At what point did I say "the strongest weightlifter teen in the world"? I NEVER did. I simply said the strongest teenager. Please stop putting words in my mouth and quoting official records in IWF when just because he is doing a snatch and clean has nothing to do with the point of the video. Besides, neither of those guys have out lifted him either, so at least you could have dug around and found some lifter that actually lifted more.

There is a list called "super total" it was a combined total of powerlifting events and OL events. whoever had the biggest total combined was the best. I would be willing to bet that if we had a 5 lift comp with either of the 2 lifters you mentioned, that Pat would win. I really don't care what the IPF or IWF sites have for totals. Does that mean that oldtime stongmen like Cyr, mighty Atom, Viator, Anderson, etc, etc were not strong because they were not in some official sanctioned meet and that their accomplishments on stage were "not official" so should be ignored?

3 attempts or 3 million, if someone lifts something, then they still lifted it. Who cares how long it took!? Who cares if someone didn't give him a down signal!? The point is he still lifted weights never before seen in this country at his age regardless on the conditions. When he breaks world records officially, then the title will be "World record holder... " Until then, keep looking and when you find someone that lifts better then: Squat 360 raw, deadlifts 340 raw, bench 230 raw, Sn 200 and clean 230. then let me know and stop trying to downplay his monster accomplishments.

BrozKnows
04-28-2010, 05:02 AM
Hey Broz, by a funny coincidence I saw a video interview with you a couple of days ago where you discussed the mental attitude to training and the kind of persistence required to achieve results. You say when you were going for a particular snatch PR you attempted the lift something like 35 times in one day before you got it. That is amazing! It really opened my eyes to how much dedication you can put in, and how you should push past your limits and previous failures. Thanks for that.

That is funny. I was trying a 150 snatch. I will never forget that day. I tried for over 5 hours, missing over 50 times. I actually never made it that day, but did make it on my first try 2 days later. It was so close so many times, ahhhhhh... I still remember...... makes me wanna go train right now!

chris mason
04-28-2010, 10:03 AM
I believe in how I train, but I don't think that others here truly understand what it really takes to make it to the top. I see a lot of super talented athletes that lift. They train as hard as their coaches dictate and wonder why they plateau. Their coaches claim drugs, genetics, etc. because there is NO WAY that it could be the mindset that they have instilled in their athletes as well as in themselves. Most US lifters reach a point and stop, but it's this same point where other countries make that final leap to the elite status. IMO, a HUGE portion is the coaches' ego. Just recently the French OL team was at the OTC in CO springs. All the top athletes and coaches were there. Only 1 athlete bothered to spend the time to ask them training questions and technique advice. This lifter added 11kg to their total in 2 weeks while they were there. Not one coach or other athlete was concerned with what they had to offer.

When Krastev was in NY he told me that in the 3 years he was there and training, no one asked him a single question about training system or technique advice. When I was with him I personally saw him give advice to young lifters and their coaches about snatch accessory work and technique pointers. They dismissed him and continued with their regularly scheduled programs. He would look at me in amazement, but not as shocked as I was myself. I suppose ignorance is bliss.

Another reason is because most of the coaches that are leading the youth now were lifters in the 80's and 90's when drug use was at it's peak. It's no secret that there were US lifters who are now prominent coaches that tested positive back in the day. Even though they were using AAS, they still could not even begin to compare to the results of the Soviets or Bulgarians. Now, with the super strict testing that we have in the US compared to some of the other countries around the world, those same coaches that could not win when they were ON, truly in their minds don't believe that their athletes have any kind of real chance. They pass this mentality down to them with low expectations and praise for mediocre results. To accommodate this they have gradually lowered qualifying totals for Nationals over the years to about 10% less then it was 25 years ago. When drug use was equal we still got our teeth kicked in, so it was never about the drugs - it's ALWAYS been about the training.

Until people open their eyes and minds only then can we have an O.Champ again.

I totally agree. It IS all about the training.

chris mason
04-28-2010, 10:05 AM
IMO, if you can posses more overall power then all your lifts go up. For me to explain, lets exaggerate. If someone NEVER benched, yet only squatted and deadlifted and by some freak of nature they were able to squat 2000 and deadlift 2000, what do you think they could bench? Probably more than 500. When you have overall power, then you are just a tank. it's obvious by his lack of technique in the bench that it's not a lift we train. I stumbled upon this myself. When I was 17 I benched 335. I never touched a bench in over 20 years. During a temporary hiatus / boredom with doing the same 6 lifts for 2 decades, I decided to bench. Within 1 month I did 365, and 3 months did 405. All the years of lifting to gain overall power and strength carried over to the bench without much trouble. I made Pat this bet and it worked for him too. His best in HS was 450 but did 405x3. HIs very first bench workout he did 180kg (396) for 5 reps which was a PR. He is in the gym with me 3x/day, everyday for the past 2 years. I assure you he has not gone anywhere else to sneak in additional lifting.

I agree, but it really blows my mind he could get to a 500 lbs raw bench without any direct work...

h.t.hall
04-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Well it's quite possible that you might want to re read the title to that video before you go off on this tangent quoting results. At what point did I say "the strongest weightlifter teen in the world"? I NEVER did. I simply said the strongest teenager. Please stop putting words in my mouth and quoting official records in IWF when just because he is doing a snatch and clean has nothing to do with the point of the video. Besides, neither of those guys have out lifted him either, so at least you could have dug around and found some lifter that actually lifted more.

There is a list called "super total" it was a combined total of powerlifting events and OL events. whoever had the biggest total combined was the best. I would be willing to bet that if we had a 5 lift comp with either of the 2 lifters you mentioned, that Pat would win. I really don't care what the IPF or IWF sites have for totals. Does that mean that oldtime stongmen like Cyr, mighty Atom, Viator, Anderson, etc, etc were not strong because they were not in some official sanctioned meet and that their accomplishments on stage were "not official" so should be ignored?

3 attempts or 3 million, if someone lifts something, then they still lifted it. Who cares how long it took!? Who cares if someone didn't give him a down signal!? The point is he still lifted weights never before seen in this country at his age regardless on the conditions. When he breaks world records officially, then the title will be "World record holder... " Until then, keep looking and when you find someone that lifts better then: Squat 360 raw, deadlifts 340 raw, bench 230 raw, Sn 200 and clean 230. then let me know and stop trying to downplay his monster accomplishments.

Are you serious ? YOU might want to reread the ending title of the video where it says "Strongest teenager in the world Pat "Buff" Mendez"...not the title on the page above the video,at the end of the video itself...
I'm not putting words in your mouth,so perhaps you should watch the persecution mania of yours a little bit.

I see now your athlete isn't a weightlifter,but a strongman,bodybuilder,strongest gym member or circus performer in the world because the official stats seem to not interest you anymore,huh ?
I also saw that your athlete is nowhere in the top ranking lists in his age categories,not in the top 54 junior or top 31 youth athletes in the world...tell me when excactly did your athlete beat everyone else to be the self righteous strongest teenager in the world and and at what meet ?
Was it in your gym or in your dreams ?

So,to use a phrase of your own "is the bench and deadlift a competition event ? " ...it looks they now are,so you might include them in your program and train them 3 times a day,or is it that your theories don't allow that ?

Of course this is a very gifted athlete,but do you know how many there are ? How many have lifted these weights in gyms ?
Gyms are for training,meets are where titles are given and earned,by official federations,not by the coach to the athlete !!!

I'm not downplaying anything,it is you that's ridiculing your athlete's efforts.
For all i know,in your own gym you might be using fake weights to gain publicity,oh another thing that's guaranteed not to happen in meets...

rinse
04-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Are you serious ? YOU might want to reread the ending title of the video where it says "Strongest teenager in the world Pat "Buff" Mendez"...not the title on the page above the video,at the end of the video itself...
I'm not putting words in your mouth,so perhaps you should watch the persecution mania of yours a little bit.

I see now your athlete isn't a weightlifter,but a strongman,bodybuilder,strongest gym member or circus performer in the world because the official stats seem to not interest you anymore,huh ?
I also saw that your athlete is nowhere in the top ranking lists in his age categories,not in the top 54 junior or top 31 youth athletes in the world...tell me when excactly did your athlete beat everyone else to be the self righteous strongest teenager in the world and and at what meet ?

So,to use a phrase of your own "is the bench and deadlift a competition event ? " ...it looks they now are,so you might include them in your program and train them 3 times a day,or is it that your theories don't allow that ?

Of course this is a very gifted athlete,but do you know how many there are ? How many have lifted these weights in gyms ?
Gyms are for training,meets are where titles are given and earned,by official federations,not by the coach to the athlete !!!

I'm not downplaying anything,it is you that's ridiculing your athlete's efforts.
For all i know,in your own gym you might be using fake weights to gain publicity,oh another thing that's guaranteed not to happen in meets...

OMG......

chris mason
04-28-2010, 12:13 PM
HT, it is a promotional video. Why does it bother you so? I am the ranked lifters of his age aren't overly bothered about it.

C-Sobrino
04-28-2010, 01:05 PM

Dude, what is up with you? It was just a training video. Why are you taking Pat's training lifts and BrozKnow's coaching methods so personal?

h.t.hall
04-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Dude, what is up with you? It was just a training video. Why are you taking Pat's training lifts and BrozKnow's coaching methods so personal?

I'll tell you why...

What's up with someone posting a video online under a certain title that later on refuses to accept ?
What's up with someone that's training weightlifters and to every question asked about exercises different than those of the snatch and c&j answers that "we don't do it because it's not a competition exercise" changing his tune about his athlete being a 5 lift athlete and a strongman like Cyr,Atom,Viator (what ??) etc ...?
What's up with someone that isn't in the top 50 in the top lists bragging about being the strongest in the world based on gym lifts (!!!) ???
What's up with someone that refuses to accept IWF lists and meet results and boosts his athletes performance under questionable ,self serving circumstances based on gym lift videos ?

I'm not opposed to posting a gym lift video-i'm opposed to basing a "strongest teen in the world" claim on that video and later changing your tune to suit yourself !!!

And instead of asking him these questions you ask me ? What's wrong with that picture ?

You do understand that titles and medals are won on meets,don't you ?
That it's unsportsmanlike to reduce all the other athletes in this world to being lesser than your athlete despite being much better than him in official meets and to refuse the IWF while wanting people to accept these gym lifts as evidence of superiority of some kind ?

I'm sure Abadjiev would be proud of this picture and the way his system is treated by his "students"...but he became a legend based on medals won and meet results,not on gym videos and internet asskissing cameraderie...

I didn't want this to become personal.
But i've been around great athletes,medal winners in Olympics,world and European championships,long enough to know that unless and until you make the total and get the gold you shut up and keep working.Only after you have the right to say you are the "strongest " or "best" and only until the next meet.
It became personal the moment the answer bacame a preaching and underestimation of my intelligence with things like "Well it's quite possible that you might want to re read the title to that video before you go off on this tangent quoting results." and "Until then, keep looking and when you find someone that lifts better then: Squat 360 raw, deadlifts 340 raw, bench 230 raw, Sn 200 and clean 230. then let me know and stop trying to downplay his monster accomplishments."
Well,i've been around you know and won't let anyone by the self centered nickname of "Brozknows" tell me about any "monster acomplishments" by virtue of the gym videos of someone nobody knows of a coach nobody knows.

I was there to watch Dimas and Kakhiashvili train,and i've seen many many hotshots snatch and c&j huge weights before they broke an elbow or a wrist and the greatness they had in their mind stayed only there...so dunk the best total and then let's get back in here and i'll eat my words.
I've seen a gifted newbie in the gym we trained raise hands and yell "i'm the best" get smacked across the face and be told that he has to win a meet to even think of saying this inside a gym full of great lifters...if you want respect you give respect,it doesn't come free...you earn it.

Until then,go back to the gym and train some more and when meet time comes,don't stay at home,go there sometime and participate.

Until then i refuse to accept anyone attempting to reduce an Olympic sport to a gym video joke, to claims made reminding of pro wrestling ,to rule ridicule and disrespect of fellow athletes for any kind of promotional personal gain .:tuttut:

seK
04-28-2010, 06:05 PM
H.T.'s Panties = Bunched

I guess I better get on this bandwagon ... I found this video with false claims.

ol4v3UEBE8c

NO GOLD NO GLORY PUPPY!

ThomasG
04-28-2010, 06:29 PM
H.T.'s Panties = Bunched

I guess I better get on this bandwagon ... I found this video with false claims.

ol4v3UEBE8c

NO GOLD NO GLORY PUPPY!

Oh no they Di'int!!!

BrozKnows
04-29-2010, 05:27 AM
I'll tell you why...

What's up with someone posting a video online under a certain title that later on refuses to accept ?
What's up with someone that's training weightlifters and to every question asked about exercises different than those of the snatch and c&j answers that "we don't do it because it's not a competition exercise" changing his tune about his athlete being a 5 lift athlete and a strongman like Cyr,Atom,Viator (what ??) etc ...?
What's up with someone that isn't in the top 50 in the top lists bragging about being the strongest in the world based on gym lifts (!!!) ???
What's up with someone that refuses to accept IWF lists and meet results and boosts his athletes performance under questionable ,self serving circumstances based on gym lift videos ?

I'm not opposed to posting a gym lift video-i'm opposed to basing a "strongest teen in the world" claim on that video and later changing your tune to suit yourself !!!

And instead of asking him these questions you ask me ? What's wrong with that picture ?

You do understand that titles and medals are won on meets,don't you ?
That it's unsportsmanlike to reduce all the other athletes in this world to being lesser than your athlete despite being much better than him in official meets and to refuse the IWF while wanting people to accept these gym lifts as evidence of superiority of some kind ?

I'm sure Abadjiev would be proud of this picture and the way his system is treated by his "students"...but he became a legend based on medals won and meet results,not on gym videos and internet asskissing cameraderie...

I didn't want this to become personal.
But i've been around great athletes,medal winners in Olympics,world and European championships,long enough to know that unless and until you make the total and get the gold you shut up and keep working.Only after you have the right to say you are the "strongest " or "best" and only until the next meet.
It became personal the moment the answer bacame a preaching and underestimation of my intelligence with things like "Well it's quite possible that you might want to re read the title to that video before you go off on this tangent quoting results." and "Until then, keep looking and when you find someone that lifts better then: Squat 360 raw, deadlifts 340 raw, bench 230 raw, Sn 200 and clean 230. then let me know and stop trying to downplay his monster accomplishments."
Well,i've been around you know and won't let anyone by the self centered nickname of "Brozknows" tell me about any "monster acomplishments" by virtue of the gym videos of someone nobody knows of a coach nobody knows.

I was there to watch Dimas and Kakhiashvili train,and i've seen many many hotshots snatch and c&j huge weights before they broke an elbow or a wrist and the greatness they had in their mind stayed only there...so dunk the best total and then let's get back in here and i'll eat my words.
I've seen a gifted newbie in the gym we trained raise hands and yell "i'm the best" get smacked across the face and be told that he has to win a meet to even think of saying this inside a gym full of great lifters...if you want respect you give respect,it doesn't come free...you earn it.

Until then,go back to the gym and train some more and when meet time comes,don't stay at home,go there sometime and participate.

Until then i refuse to accept anyone attempting to reduce an Olympic sport to a gym video joke, to claims made reminding of pro wrestling ,to rule ridicule and disrespect of fellow athletes for any kind of promotional personal gain .:tuttut:

HA HA, man! I am still laughing! Just knowing that you are this pissed makes me love the video even more. You made my day!!!!!!!!

Dude, send me the entry form for the "strongest teen worlds" and I'll be happy to enter him. LOL!!! WAIT -What!!?? There is no such thing!!!??? NO WAY!! Then how can someone hold this title??? Well, with no competitions using this title, then there should be no conflict (except with you who feels obligated to compare him solely to Olympic lifters and why I'm not exactly sure, but it's very amusing) using it for a video.

I entertained the idea (very briefly) of explaining my point and reasoning to you, but since I'm a nobody and he's a nobody, obviously you shouldn't really care what he does or what I say- so why waste my time. Possibly someday you will live to eat your words, but the best part is I really don't care! I find your entire post utterly amusing. What would really make a great video is for you to slap Pat across the face when he says it and watch what happens. HA HA HA!!!

Oh, one last thing -
lifting big weights on a video doesn't reduce OL to a joke. The performance of the US mens OL team over the past 40 years (as a whole) has already done a fantastic job of that on it's own. So next time you are standing by watching triple Olympic Champions train, you might want to ask them a question or 2, then train a few lifters better then you currently are so they actually have a chance to win something. It is quite possible if you stop slapping your athletes and teach them to be champions you too someday might have a 200kg snatch video you would like to share with the world - or not. LOL!!!!

Travis Bell
04-29-2010, 08:51 AM
LOL h.t. you need to take a deep breath

Of all the things I saw this thread being argued about, what the TITLE of it is really wasn't one of them lol

This isn't a news paper article, it's not a record book, it's freaking YouTube man. Let it go. The kid is really quite impressive. Whether it's done in a gym or a comp.

Yes, it'd be even more impressive if it was done in a comp. Move on.

Learning2Lift
04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I was once labeled the cutest baby my mom has ever seen... is this not valid since it wasn't in a competition? i'm going to be so mad if my mom lied to me!

Travis Bell
04-29-2010, 03:05 PM
I was once labeled the cutest baby my mom has ever seen... is this not valid since it wasn't in a competition? i'm going to be so mad if my mom lied to me!

Trust me....your mom lied

n.die_beast
05-05-2010, 04:20 AM
BrozKnows how often should a beginner Pler such as myself max out in the squat? You have a great pupil btw.

BrozKnows
05-05-2010, 01:42 PM
BrozKnows how often should a beginner Pler such as myself max out in the squat? You have a great pupil btw.

Depends on how often you are doing it now. If never or rarely then begin with 1x/week. gradually move yourself up in frequency. Pay attention to your body because without a coach to observe each lift, it's a very difficult task. It's all about progress in either intensity or volume. Pushing either one will be a step in the right direction.

Ruff Riff
05-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I forget what this thread was even about! Young guys and big weights, false advertisements about dogs or cute babies???? IDK, I need a nap after reading all of this!

n.die_beast
05-05-2010, 03:12 PM
"Depends on how often you are doing it now. If never or rarely then begin with 1x/week. gradually move yourself up in frequency. Pay attention to your body because without a coach to observe each lift, it's a very difficult task. It's all about progress in either intensity or volume. Pushing either one will be a step in the right direction. "

Thanks. I have been maxing out weekly for about a month. I also forgot to ask. What is your opinion on the Westside Barbell system which includes max effort training but incorporates other methodologies as oposed to maxing out on the basic lifts very often which is what you have your guys do.

Auburn
05-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Broz, how do you guys structure your A.M. sessions? Are they to max, or just to a weight that's sharp and fast? Also, at what point do you add them into your training?

BrozKnows
05-13-2010, 03:01 AM
Broz, how do you guys structure your A.M. sessions? Are they to max, or just to a weight that's sharp and fast? Also, at what point do you add them into your training?

It's all progressive. I have lifters that only do BS in the am, and lifters that do S, c/j, bs all to maximum. Depends on overall conditioning.
I add them when their time allows. The sooner the better. Even if they only come squat 50kg in the AM, this activates the body and makes the PM session more productive.