PDA

View Full Version : Squat Form?

SoCoBarbell
04-22-2010, 02:14 PM
I see this problem over and over. Guys don't have the lower back and hip flexibility to reach depth without rounding over their lower backs in the hole. As soon as that happens they obviously loose almost all rebound from their gear.

I have 2 guys doing this and I've been trying some things to fix it. I'll be glad to share these things and keep you all posted as to what works.

But, for now I would like to hear your suggestions on how to fix this problem??????????????

Phenom
04-22-2010, 02:20 PM
I guess work on hamstring and hip flexibility until they can do it right. Sacrifice depth in the mean time.

I posted a thread about this a little while ago because my brother has this problem. Some good advice in that thread.

MarcusWild
04-22-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure how much it's flexibility vs posterior chain weakness. I always see people claiming it's flexibility, but oddly enough when there's no weight on their back they can hold form just fine. The lean forward is the body's way of trying to use the quads because the hamstrings aren't strong enough.

SoCoBarbell
04-22-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure how much it's flexibility vs posterior chain weakness. I always see people claiming it's flexibility, but oddly enough when there's no weight on their back they can hold form just fine. The lean forward is the body's way of trying to use the quads because the hamstrings aren't strong enough.
Neither one of them can arch their lower backs at all while sitting on a parallel box. It's not that they lean forward either. They keep their chests high but just round their lower backs.

Brian Hopper
04-22-2010, 09:33 PM
I had the same problem and sort of still do, but I fixed it alot by moving my feet out more. Because I found that with me a wider stance allowed me to sit back ALOT better and I was able to stay more arched. So maybe you can try that and see what happens.

Painzer
04-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Neither one of them can arch their lower backs at all while sitting on a parallel box. It's not that they lean forward either. They keep their chests high but just round their lower backs.

Mike, I had that problem for a little while. I fixed it by squatting even deeper and working on lower back and overall core strength.

I started squatting to 12, 8, and 6 inch boxes and doing heavy ab crunches and ab tucks.

Brian Hopper
04-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Holy S**T, a 6" box.....that is deep!!!!!

SoCo, if you have a SSB have them squat to a low box with it. That will help with lower back strength for sure.

ScottYard
04-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Weightlifting Shoes will help with hitting depth. Especially felxibility issues

MarcusWild
04-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Whenever we have someone that can't squat properly, I have them try to do a GHR. It never fails that they can't even do 1 rep. I start them on a higher box and lower it 3/4" every we weeks as long as they can hold form. Then they do a lot of posterior chain work for accessories. It takes awhile but eventually things start to come together on their squat.

SoCoBarbell
04-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys. I can assure you it's not lower back, hamstring or glute weakness. We do GHR's and one of the guys is freaky strong for the amount of time training. We do GHR's with bands and with it elevated in the back. We also hit the reverse hyper and do back raises with bands. The stronger guy does waist high good mornings pretty stiff legged with #455 for reps.

I've had them both sit on a parallel box and try to arch their lower backs and neither one can do it AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it doesn't matter if their legs are wide or in close. It seems the wider their legs are the more they round over.

The way I see it it's a real flexibility issue. They're just too tight in both the hips and especially the lower back.

I had planned to have them squat on a higher box and see just how far down they can get before they break form.

What I'm really looking for are ways to stretch them out? My flexibility came real easy so I'm having a hard time figuring out how make them stretch.

douglasoh5
04-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Thats pretty funny marcus. But true. you cant teach some one who is just weak how to squat/deadlift or even bench properly. you have to get them somewhat strong before there form can be dialed in. It all takes time but you should always have them try as hard as possible to use the good form so when they get stronger sh1t will start clicking