PDA

View Full Version : High fructose corn syrup is not the same as table sugar

Invain
04-22-2010, 02:51 PM
http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/

"The first study showed that male rats given water sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup in addition to a standard diet of rat chow gained much more weight than male rats that received water sweetened with table sugar, or sucrose, in conjunction with the standard diet. The concentration of sugar in the sucrose solution was the same as is found in some commercial soft drinks, while the high-fructose corn syrup solution was half as concentrated as most sodas."

"This creates a fascinating puzzle. The rats in the Princeton study became obese by drinking high-fructose corn syrup, but not by drinking sucrose. The critical differences in appetite, metabolism and gene expression that underlie this phenomenon are yet to be discovered, but may relate to the fact that excess fructose is being metabolized to produce fat, while glucose is largely being processed for energy or stored as a carbohydrate, called glycogen, in the liver and muscles."

Mercuryblade
04-22-2010, 03:10 PM
I posted this up in gen chat a few weeks ago.

I can't believe the corn growers association of america has been lying to us!

Raleighwood
04-22-2010, 03:40 PM
If you are wanting to lose body fat, taking out as much sugar (fructose, glucose, sucrose, yadda yadda yadda) as possible from your diet is a good idea.

Skalami
04-25-2010, 08:28 AM
high fructose corn syrup.....another sign of whats wrong with the world

does HFC cause a higher blood sugar spike then regular sugar? same question reworded- is HFC decent for post workout carbs? If so im bringing Karo syrup with me to the gym

vdizenzo
04-26-2010, 05:40 AM
I have been really lable conscious the past couple of years. I have tried to keep hfc completely out of my diet. I believe it has helped.

MadChef
04-26-2010, 09:07 PM
does HFC cause a higher blood sugar spike then regular sugar? same question reworded- is HFC decent for post workout carbs? If so im bringing Karo syrup with me to the gym

Yes, go for it, pound corn syrup after every session and see how hyoooge and swole you get, bro!! It's all about teh blood sugar spike!@!!!!

Ummmm.... I don't mean to start another debate over the whole glycemic index thing, but if you refer back to that thread a while back, about maltodextrin vs. whole foods you will see why I say, "I TOLD YOU SO".

I can't believe the corn growers association of america has been lying to us!

Right... but they wouldn't lie about waxy maize, right??? Or maltodextrin, right??? Or ethanol, right??? I heard ethanol is a good post workout drink, tho.

Skalami
04-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Yes, go for it, pound corn syrup after every session and see how hyoooge and swole you get, bro!! It's all about teh blood sugar spike!@!!!!

Ummmm.... I don't mean to start another debate over the whole glycemic index thing, but if you refer back to that thread a while back, about maltodextrin vs. whole foods you will see why I say, "I TOLD YOU SO".

Right... but they wouldn't lie about waxy maize, right??? Or maltodextrin, right??? Or ethanol, right??? I heard ethanol is a good post workout drink, tho.

thanks for that useless comment, seriously isnt spiking blood sugar after workout what were trying to do? Does this stuff cause a higher spike? Simple question just curious cause ihave no idea on this stuff.

MadChef
04-27-2010, 09:16 AM
thanks for that useless comment, seriously isnt spiking blood sugar after workout what were trying to do? Does this stuff cause a higher spike? Simple question just curious cause ihave no idea on this stuff.

How long have you been here on these forums? You have 500 posts but you don't know anything about this stuff? I don't mean to rude but come on...

Skalami
04-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Madchef WTF is your problem? You take the time to respond to a post just to call someone out rather then spend less time answering the question.

Im pretty sure we want to spike blood sugar after working out, the op posts was about HFC being worse then table sugar so im wondering if the way it causes more fat to accumulate is by spiking blood sugar causing more of the HFC to be converted to fat and not be used as energy if that would be a helpful thing to have after working out?

its a simple somewhat stupid question but why be such a jerk?

MadChef
04-27-2010, 06:05 PM
the only thing that should matter is real world results. Will a guy who starts using waxy maize over the course of 3 months make more gains then a guy eating apple juice and protein powder (or a white bread sandwich of some kind)?

These are your real world results.... high-fructose corn syrup is quite high g.i., at least double that of table sugar. If this caused the rats in the controlled study to develop higher leptin resistance and weight gain, then surely the same would be exhibited in humans. This is common sense to me, but for some people it is all about simple sugars and lots of them post workout, and I have preached against this for years and years but to no avail. So, basically I'm sorry for being such an ********* but I just know that after saying this I'm going to have a dozen haters come on here and say, "ohh, the glycemic index is bullsh**, blah blah blah, glycemic load, blah blah blah". NVm

Skalami
04-28-2010, 07:55 AM
So youre saying you dont like table sugar post workout? I know its not the ideal thing but its damn easy to do apple juice in whey protein, but if the benefits are there then i would switch.

What do you take post workout?

Holto
04-28-2010, 08:45 AM
high-fructose corn syrup is quite high g.i., at least double that of table sugar

I just quickly looked this up and it appears you're dead wrong.

Would you care to link us something that supports your assertion?

MadChef
04-28-2010, 07:33 PM
I just quickly looked this up and it appears you're dead wrong.

Would you care to link us something that supports your assertion?

My fault, in my own research I found that HFCS is at least twice (actually almost three times) the glycemic index rating of regular FRUCTOSE (I had fructose and sucrose mixed up). This still only reinforces the fact the fact that artificially isolated and foreign sugars/carbs such as HFCS and many other corn derivatives are confusing and harmful to the body.

MadChef
04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
So youre saying you dont like table sugar post workout? I know its not the ideal thing but its damn easy to do apple juice in whey protein, but if the benefits are there then i would switch.

I don't think there is anything wrong with apple juice in and of itself, but are we talking about 100% apple juice, or some grocery store brand swill that's only 10% real juice? If it's 100% juice then it has fructose, which as I alluded to above, is just fine and has a relatively low g.i. Obviously, the best thing to do would be to juice your own fruits and vegetables, then you would be getting the sugar content plus all the nutrients from the parts of the plant that you don't normally eat.