PDA

View Full Version : Heavier at the bottom (lighter at the top)

abbcccxyyzzz
04-23-2010, 01:34 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make something heavier at the bottom and (lighter at the top) of the movement? I been pondering this for few a few days and have these solutions:

1. Weight releasers
2. Angle smith machine
3. Lifting something out of water
4. Any type III machine (something similar to a wheel barrel) ie t-bar rows.

Is there anyone out there would can come up with something that can be simplistically applied to many free weight maneuvers? (Note: all chains and bands always add weight at the top with tension reduced at the bottom.)

Think about it.

cjones5632
04-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Have you tried suspending the bands from the top of the rack?

Travis Bell
04-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Last time I benched with straight weight, sure seemed heavier to me at the bottom....

tnathletics2b
04-23-2010, 05:19 AM
Have you tried suspending the bands from the top of the rack?

Wouldn't this make it lighter at the bottom because the bands would be pulling more because they were under more tension? Then as you pushed up, it got harder because the tension was taken off the bands?

ThomasG
04-23-2010, 05:52 AM
Wouldn't this make it lighter at the bottom because the bands would be pulling more because they were under more tension? Then as you pushed up, it got harder because the tension was taken off the bands?

Yes.

ThomasG
04-23-2010, 05:55 AM
Deep DB Bench, Pause reps with DB's and BB's, speed work and shoulder work have helped me out of the bottom. Still working on it though. I'm sure others have more ideas.

cjones5632
04-23-2010, 07:13 AM

Yes, I guess it would. I could see it in my head at the time but after I think about it more it would indeed be lighter at the bottom. At 3:00 A.M I should probably not try to use my head.:drooling:

WillKuenzel
04-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make something heavier at the bottom and (lighter at the top) of the movement? I been pondering this for few a few days and have these solutions:

1. Weight releasers
2. Angle smith machine

Is there anyone out there would can come up with something that can be simplistically applied to many free weight maneuvers? (Note: all chains and bands always add weight at the top with tension reduced at the bottom.)

Think about it.The real question is why would you do this? What purpose would it serve?

ThomasG
04-23-2010, 08:29 AM
The real question is why would you do this? What purpose would it serve?

When your struggling point is at the bottom.

IronDiggy
04-23-2010, 08:58 AM
The only thing that I could think of that would make it not necessarily heavier, but harder would be pauses at the bottom, and going deeper than Full ROM, so like stated before camber bar bench and ATG squats.

joey54
04-23-2010, 09:04 AM
This comes back to the same question we ask all the noobs in the bodybuilding section, what do you squat, dead, and bench?

ThomasG
04-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Box squats with relaxing the hip flexors stopping the concentric and eccentric chain for squats.

tnathletics2b
04-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Yes, I guess it would. I could see it in my head at the time but after I think about it more it would indeed be lighter at the bottom. At 3:00 A.M I should probably not try to use my head.:drooling:

Haha, I know the feeling. I just read what you said and starting doubting myself, so I though I would throw it out there to make sure.

WillKuenzel
04-23-2010, 11:25 AM
When your struggling point is at the bottom.LOL, then the weight is too heavy.

If you're struggling with the weight in the bottom, then the top end is already light enough and you don't have to make it any more difficult through your struggling point.

ThomasG
04-23-2010, 12:34 PM
LOL, then the weight is too heavy.

If you're struggling with the weight in the bottom, then the top end is already light enough and you don't have to make it any more difficult through your struggling point.

Nope. Not the case for a lot of raw lifters. I'm not talking immediately off the chest, floor or hole. Obviously if you the bar only moves an inch off your chest then yea its too heavy.

Why do people do pause reps, ATG, Cambered bar, speed work etc to help out of the bottom. I know all those variation have more to do than helping with the bottom but there is such a thing as having a struggling point at the bottom.

My deadlift was bad at the bottom. Rather than starting over and just lowering the weight I started pulling from blocks to help off the floor.

Guido
04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
The only thing that I could think of that would make it not necessarily heavier, but harder would be pauses at the bottom, and going deeper than Full ROM, so like stated before camber bar bench and ATG squats.Yes. Anything involving pauses at the bottom of the movement will make it more difficult at the bottom.

kzk464s
04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
tire flips come to mind. Something with an angle and pivot point maybe?

barbell01
04-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Last time I benched with straight weight, sure seemed heavier to me at the bottom....

hahahaha!

jbrin0tk
04-23-2010, 05:42 PM

Haha, good call, Travis.

Xellarz
04-24-2010, 11:53 AM
I think this is a good question and I hope people actually try to answer it instead of just giving you other solutions.

If you guys want another scenario, how about pullups? How can you make the bottom harder than the top?

ThomasG
04-24-2010, 11:59 AM
I think this is a good question and I hope people actually try to answer it instead of just giving you other solutions.

If you guys want another scenario, how about pullups? How can you make the bottom harder than the top?

Dead hangs

robchris
04-24-2010, 02:32 PM

1. Weight releasers
2. Angle smith machine

Think about it.

abbc,

Reverse bands bro... Attach them from the top of the power rack for all the big (3) lifts. If you're not familar w/ them check out some vid @ youtube. I choke mine but they can also be doubled for additional lightening at the top.

robchris
04-24-2010, 06:10 PM
abbc,
I apoligize bro... I mis understood the question. However, this is a novel thought.

IDK, other than having a training partner apply resistance at the bottom of the movement. But again, as Travis implied, all straight weight feels heavy out of the hole due to decreased leverage... No need to increase resistance at that point. Albeit, paused reps do make a lift harder at the bottom.

abbcccxyyzzz
04-25-2010, 02:11 AM
The real question is why would you do this? What purpose would it serve?

Just thinking. Current dogmas in powerlifting all focus at adding weight at the top of movements... I think it is something different that could be incorporated for increased gains.

abbcccxyyzzz
04-25-2010, 02:13 AM
This comes back to the same question we ask all the noobs in the bodybuilding section, what do you squat, dead, and bench?

hahahah,

I am not trying to sound amateurish.. I am thinking currently there is NOTHING available that you can attach and work with to do this type of movement.

Mark!
04-25-2010, 02:56 AM
Thinking in lines of the negative reps, you could do something like that couldn't you? It wouldn't be accurate, but have someone put a slight amount of pressure on the bar after you've lowered it to your chest? That or some sort of weight that could be added quickly and smoothly to not jerk the bar at the bottom of the rep. I don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there for you. Negative reps are awesome though, if this has any benefit as they do, be pretty sweet.

AJ Roberts
04-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Here are some ideas that would make the lifter harder at the bottom and achieve the results you seem to be seeking

Cambered bar bench
Pause presses
Pin Presses for the chest
Concentric goodmornings
Deadlifts standing on mats
Box Squats

Basically anything that increases the time under tension or breaks up the eccentric/concentric is going to help with starting/reversal strength.

theBarzeen
04-25-2010, 07:06 AM
how about just using more weight on the bar?

pausing at the bottom makes it harder or something like box squats or pin presses could help by making you push harder from a dead stop.......

I can't imagine why you'd even want to work the bottom end but not the top, most guys overload the top end to help them finish and then work full range to hit the bottom end. I guess you could do the bodybuilder thing and do some reps just in the lower end of the movement......?