PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss plateau!!

ThomasG
04-23-2010, 02:59 PM
I consider myself pretty good with weight loss and understanding nutrition. For the first time in my career one of my clients has been plateaued for just too long. She is steadily loseing bf% but the scale is not moving and we all know how obsessed women are with the scale. I see her 3 times a week for an hour. And this lady is an absolute beast and one of my most loyal and dedicated clients. She busts her ass. She does pullups front squats back squats deadlifts push presses sled pulls kettlebell swings you name it she can do it. For the hour I have her we do nutrition coaching, weight training, intervals and complexes. She does steady state cardio on her own 3 times a week for 45mins.

She came to eating hardly anything around 800-900cals a day/ I bumped that up to 1350. She lost weight for a little while on a high carb low fat diet. Then when she plateaued I took her to a low carb diet 50/40/10. She recently plateaued so every sunday we increased her calories by 15% and bumped her carbs to 40%. That had a negative response. I also upped her calories to 1450 which also had a negative response.

What I can think of is switching her percentages to a more balanced diet like 35/25/40 C/f/p

Now this is not what I think she eats. This is what she eats. She tracks everything via fitday.

Ideas?

ThomasG
04-23-2010, 03:10 PM
She just recently went down 3% to 33.10% which puts here in the average category for her age. Shes 152lbs so she has about 10-15lbs to lose. And she lifts heavy relative to the rep count in the 6-20 range and we keep a fast pace through out the session.

Allen Cress
04-23-2010, 03:26 PM
There can be a lot of underlying issues. One thing you need to coach her on as you do many feales is to not be soo fixated on numbers. The scales doesn
t tell you if its water fat or muscle its weighing. Alway go by how clothes fit and the mirror. Also realize as I have said before that progress is non-linear. You will have times of plateaus and even regression depending on the individuals lifestyle, stress levels, etc.... In this case becoming to obssessed with the number can actually have a negative effect.

Also evertikme her body hits a plateau you should'nt automatically change anything. Let her body create a new set point and then work again from there. Its hard to say exactly what nneds to be done since i'm not familiar with her lifestyle, job, what she eats, exactly what her training protocol is, etc... Many factors involed but just be patient and tell her to be as well. This is where knowing how to read an individuals bio-feedback is needed and why its my preferred method over just clients reporting numbers.

ThomasG
04-23-2010, 03:39 PM
There can be a lot of underlying issues. One thing you need to coach her on as you do many feales is to not be soo fixated on numbers. The scales doesn
t tell you if its water fat or muscle its weighing. Alway go by how clothes fit and the mirror. Also realize as I have said before that progress is non-linear. You will have times of plateaus and even regression depending on the individuals lifestyle, stress levels, etc.... In this case becoming to obssessed with the number can actually have a negative effect.

Also evertikme her body hits a plateau you should'nt automatically change anything. Let her body create a new set point and then work again from there. Its hard to say exactly what nneds to be done since i'm not familiar with her lifestyle, job, what she eats, exactly what her training protocol is, etc... Many factors involed but just be patient and tell her to be as well. This is where knowing how to read an individuals bio-feedback is needed and why its my preferred method over just clients reporting numbers.

Thanks Allen! One thing I try to stress to my female clients is that the scale is just a small factor. She definitely has a physique changes she makes comments on how her clothes feel better. Female clients just have a hard time grasping this over my male clients. I do not change up immediately if she plateaus I give it awhile and I also explain that plateaus are normal to happen.

ThomasG
04-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Ok, here's the game plan.

For the next 3 weeks she will eat around maintenance calories which are around 2100 making sure she's getting a healthy balance of protein/carbs/fats through out her day. There will be a weight gain but it will only be water. O, man this will be tough to convince a female about.

After the maintenance phase

45p/25c/30f

191 g protein
106 g carbs
56 g healthy fats

Total calories 1692

Once a week refeed, her numbers will look like this:

171 g protein
200 g carbs
46 g healthy fats

Total calories 1898

Even with the refeed, she's still in a deficit, but this should keep her from stalling out.

2x a week 15 min HIIT sessions, with 10 min cool downs. The other 2 days simple LISS cardio no longer then 30 min.

camzilla
05-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Maybe a good colon cleansing agent would help. It can be a safe and effective way to lose a few lbs. A high fiber diet can help too.

Urbanski
05-03-2010, 03:54 AM
In order to lose weight, we need to create a negative energy balance or a calorie deficit, this is fact. The number of calories we cut from our intake needs to be sufficient enough in order to see some results fairly quickly. So if we begin a new diet by cutting our calorie intake by about 500 per day we will lose weight over the course of a week or two. During a calorie deficit our body still requires the same amount of energy thus, it starts using up energy stores to make up for this 500 calorie deficit. However, as our body inevitably uses up extra proteins for energy AND to maintain normal protein synthesis, we end up with a net loss of total protein. This results in a gradual loss of lean muscle, and this is the start of a lowered metabolism.