PDA

View Full Version : AAPF Raw Nationals squat video

sayagain
04-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Here is my 3rd attempt squat from this past weekend. It was 518 lbs. and an 8 lbs. PR for me. This may not be a great angle to critique, but what are your thoughts on what I can do to improve? My initial thoughts at seeing it, is that it appears that I shift the weight to my left leg and that I'm not sitting back as much as I thought I was. I was also told by others that I should consider not descending quite as quickly and that I should also cut the depth a little bit. Let me know what you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1OcVT-dXDw

sayagain
04-23-2010, 11:09 PM
By the way, this was my first meet and I had an absolute blast. I ended up going 463/501/518 in the squat, 364 and two misses at 396 in the bench, then 463/501/523 in the deadlift for a 1405 total. I met my goal of a 1400 total and had a great time. I'm looking forward to my next meet and a 1500 total.

Sean S
04-24-2010, 08:13 AM
Overall, I think your form is fine for a raw squatter. I would slow down the descent a little and see how that works. You don't have to go down slow, but try to be a little more controlled on the way down. I don't necessarily think you have to sit back more. If you were squatting like that in equipment, I would tell you to sit back more, but a raw squat is a different animal.

joey54
04-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Get more air before you squat. None of this three breath stuff, just one BIG breath before you descend. Great depth, don't worry about that or the descent. Just need to get stronger more than anything else.

Brian Hopper
04-24-2010, 06:26 PM
By the way, this was my first meet and I had an absolute blast. I ended up going 463/501/518 in the squat, 364 and two misses at 396 in the bench, then 463/501/523 in the deadlift for a 1405 total. I met my goal of a 1400 total and had a great time. I'm looking forward to my next meet and a 1500 total.

Congrats on your first meet, and meeting your goal!!!!!

Brian Hopper
04-24-2010, 06:29 PM
I would slow down the descent a little and see how that works. You don't have to go down slow, but try to be a little more controlled on the way down.

Get more air before you squat. None of this three breath stuff, just one BIG breath before you descend. Great depth, don't worry about that or the descent. Just need to get stronger more than anything else.

I agree, couldn't have said it better!!!! Slow it down some, keep it controlled, and one big breath.

sayagain
04-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

AJ Roberts
04-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Here is what i see wrong

- You're raw
- You went too deep
:evillaugh:

All kidding aside that was a pretty solid squat. I've always felt dive bombing when raw is best but here a few small things that you could work on.

1) Staying tighter - you shift a little coming up which usually means you relaxed at some point in the hole

2) Sitting back more - although no terrible your knees to track forward some, sitting back more would activate more glute/hamstring involvement which should = bigger lift.

ScottYard
04-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Here is what i see wrong

- You're raw
- You went too deep
:evillaugh:

All kidding aside that was a pretty solid squat. I've always felt dive bombing when raw is best but here a few small things that you could work on.

1) Staying tighter - you shift a little coming up which usually means you relaxed at some point in the hole

2) Sitting back more - although no terrible your knees to track forward some, sitting back more would activate more glute/hamstring involvement which should = bigger lift.

LOL

I agree with A.J

sayagain
04-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys. I actually took some flack at the meet for dive bombing and going too deep. I guess there are worse problems to have:) I'm thinking that I should work on slowing down the descent initially and then dip at the bottom for depth. I think that should help me maintain tightness in the hole, will be less momentum to overcome out of the hole, but still give me a little rebound.

Rugby Dad
04-25-2010, 04:50 PM
sayagain,

altho it's your first meet, I assume you've been training for a while?
if you can cut the depth some, good, some guys have a hard time figuring when they reached depth. It becomes instinctive after years of squatting, grooved into your technique.

more importantly tho, slow down on the descent, take the care down under control, tense & tight.
the notion of bouncing or rebounding out of the whole using momentum seems to have flaws, once the momentum & rebound gets you to that inch or so up, then your hips, glutes, hams, quads whatever which until now have not been under much load, so you put your legs at a deficit by allowing mostly gravity take over in the descent and rebound out of the whole, then expecting the legs to do the rest at the most difficult position in the squat.

also you kinda lost form on the way up, you shifted a bit to one side.