PDA

View Full Version : I'm not building mass, please help!

kwengca
04-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi All,

So I am 17 years old and I have been religiously lifting since I was 12. My question is this, why am I unable to build mass? My max bench is 245, my dead lift is 225, and my squat is about 305, however I weigh 169 pounds and I'm 6 foot 1 but my biceps, triceps, and forearms look pathetic compared to other guys in the gym who are noticeably weaker(not that I'm saying I'm strong or anything). Up until about 6 months ago I began watching my diet just a bit as I've developed a bit of a belly, but I still eat quite a bit, everything from a big plate of pasta to the occasional in-n-out burger. However, prior to this I still wasn't any larger, nor was I building any significant mass.

Could my lack of mass be a result of my diet or am I still perhaps still too young to see myself growing mass significantly?

Thank you in advance for your help, any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nicky
04-25-2010, 02:52 PM
So you are taller and weigh less now than you did at 15? At 17 you should be growing like a weed IF you are eating a surplus of calories. Size is a function of diet. Are you tracking your calories daily?

It is kinda weird that your bench is more than your deadlift.

kwengca
04-25-2010, 02:57 PM
So you are taller and weigh less now than you did at 15? At 17 you should be growing like a weed IF you are eating a surplus of calories. Size is a function of diet. Are you tracking your calories daily?

It is kinda weird that your bench is more than your deadlift.

I believe my calorie intake is close to about 3000 a day. Also my deadlift it pretty pitiful because I recently just started dead lifting a few months ago, so I'm still trying to perfect my form rather than top off the weight. I also do cardio maybe two or 3 times a week, about a couple miles a session on the treadmill, could that possibly be hindering my growth??

Thank you for your quick response :D

Nicky
04-25-2010, 03:12 PM
I believe my calorie intake is close to about 3000 a day. If you BELIEVE it is close to 3000, it probably isnt. Track it for a week, even a day and you may be surprised. Also my deadlift it pretty pitiful because I recently just started dead lifting a few months ago, so I'm still trying to perfect my form rather than top off the weight. That is smart. I also do cardio maybe two or 3 times a week, about a couple miles a session on the treadmill, could that possibly be hindering my growth?? It may be. Try cutting it back just a bit and see.

Thank you for your quick response :D

See bold.

Seriously, try tracking your cals, then when you know what you take in daily, add 300 to 500 cals a day to that. Eat big to be big and all that stuff.

Nicky
04-25-2010, 03:17 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?128939-Methods-on-accurate-bulking

Read me.

kwengca
04-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the tips man :thumbup: , I'll read up

pillsbury
04-25-2010, 03:25 PM
youre metabolism must be through the roof, I don't believe in hard gainers just under eaters are you eating every 2-3 hours? High quality protein with complex carbs? One thing I realized through all my trial and error is you NEED to count calories carbs protein and fats. You need to eat extreme to get extreme

MadChef
04-27-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't believe in hard gainers just under eaters

Haha, are you yourself an "under-eater" speaking from experience?