PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of yoga

J.C.
04-26-2010, 07:51 AM
I used to be incredibly inflexible and could barely get my hands past my knees, after a relatively short amount of time practising yoga and working on my flexibility I made vast improvements.

I got these photos taken recently because I wanted to see what it looked like. Turns out they look pretty weird! Thought you might like to see.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29127&d=1272286113

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29128&d=1272286127

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29129&d=1272286137

I know the shorts cover them up, but I'm pleased those thighs and glutes are starting to look big too. :)

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29130&d=1272286151

YeahMan21
05-03-2010, 10:34 PM
did you do it at home or did you go somewhere and take a class? im interested in doing it but i dont really want to take a class, and i dont know how effective the home dvds are.

depotman
05-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Dang man, what stretches do you practice to be able to touch the ground like that from the standing position?

J.C.
05-05-2010, 08:34 AM
did you do it at home or did you go somewhere and take a class? im interested in doing it but i dont really want to take a class, and i dont know how effective the home dvds are.

I was really lucky in that my old university had a free yoga society once a week that was partly run by the hindu society. Not many people knew about it so it wasn't overly busy and they were was a good mix who went - not all hippies! They started off very gentle and over the year taught more complicated stuff like shoulder stands and the one where I'm bent over backwards.

I would highly recommend going to a class for a bit, just so you get some feedback and learn some specific stances and routines. I don't go to a class right now but still practice some yoga here and there and that has maintained my flexibility and conditioning.

Last year I only had one 90min class a week and then I'd probably do the same thing for about 45 min once more on another day on my own and still made huge improvements.

Dang man, what stretches do you practice to be able to touch the ground like that from the standing position?

Ha ha, that's probably the easiest thing to improve, but its also the thing most people have trouble with. EVERYONE has tight hamstrings.

Just get warm, then slowly bend over keeping your back straight and try and touch your toes. After holding that for a few seconds relax your back and stretch into it further. Practice various hamstring stretches every night and you will improve very quickly.

Be sure to give it enough time as well. Don't just bend over and come straight up, you want to really relax into it and hold for 30 seconds or more. Then do it again. Breathing becomes important too as you find you can stretch further as you exhale. I honestly think if anybody spent ten minutes stretching their hamstrings properly at the end of every workout and before they went to bed they could get to the point where they can place their hands flat on the floor, while cold, in a couple of months or less. It just takes time and consistency.

Y2A
05-05-2010, 09:46 AM
How long have you been doing yoga? I just started with a free class at my gym, once a week, I've been about 4 times. I've had lower back injuries so I'd like to get more flexible and balanced to help prevent that. Great progress though, gives me something to look forward to.

J.C.
05-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Well I went to this class, and practised on my own regularly for maybe a year and a half. It fixed a few back issues I had too.

This year I haven't been doing anywhere near as much because I moved cities and it was harder for me to get to classes. Then my enthusiasm for practising on my own waned a bit. Although those photos were only taken a few weeks ago so it shows that once you've achieved a decent level of flexibility its relatively easy to maintain.